Sign in to follow this  
Bard

REAL IRC channel....

the piss poor performance of the irc network that comes with our applet is really affecting our meetings.

there is a solution: use a real irc channel

there are 2 ways of doing this:

1. If you are an instant messenger user, you can use trillian. Its an all in one program that does AOLIM, ICQ, MSN, YAHOO, IRC and maybe others too. Its available at http://download.com.com/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=trillian&subj=dlpagtag=button

2. use mirc. available at http://www.mirc.com

when you have either program, you need to configure it to hook up to:

network: irc.gamesurge.net
channel: #wingwalkers

Edited by Guest

Ok, i have trillian set up to connect there on IRC, but when i log into that channel, it says my sn is Trilluser. How can i change this?

Very good Bard... I've got it set up now. Much nicer interface than what we've been using, and with the possibility for the first guy who starts the channel to set it as a private channel, correct?

I've messed around a little bit with it, and have connections from a "cold" state to a "#wingwalkers" channel in about 6 seconds. Man, there's a LOT of options I don't know how to use, but it looks very good.

Falcon: in the Trillian Connection Manager for IRC, ... LOL, n/m, got you in voice and got you set up. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> Others requesting help on getting IRC set up in Trillian, give me a shout and we'll get together on TS and I'll talk you through it.

This was a live-fire test of the IRC channel for me, brief as it was, but it worked quite smoothly.

i can actually get the channel registered, have it as a permanent channel etc

first guy on there becomes op, and he can op anyone

Finally took a minute to find some basic IRC commands. Here they are:

GENERAL COMMANDS

• Command Description Example

/join [#] use to join a channel /join #newbies

/part [#] use to leave a channel /part #newbies

/leave [#] same as part /leave #newbies

/quit (message) use to quit IRC. A message may be added to the command, but is optional. /quit see ya'll later!

/whois [nick] used to get info on a nick. /whois pipur

/whowas [nick] used to get info on a nick that has just left IRC or a person who has just changed their nick. /whowas pipur

/who [#] shows nicks, addresses, and optional user info if available for users on a channel /who #newbies

/names [#] shows nicks of users on a channel /names #newbies

/msg [nick] [message] sends a private message (whisper) to a user /msg pipur hello there

/query [nick] opens a new window for private dialog with a nick /query pipur

/nick [newnick] if I wanted to change my current nick, pipurur, to pipur, I would use this command /nick pipur

/me [action describe] If pipur typed this example, it would be displayed as *pipur waves to Alleghany /me waves to Alleghany

/away [away message] use to tell others you are not currently at your computer. A message can be included. To set yourself back, type /away again. /away checking mail!

/list requests a list of currently formed channels from the server. The listing you request is not updated until you issue the request again. /list

/invite [nick] [#] use to invite a nick who is elsewhere on IRC to join you on a channel. /invite pipur #newbies

/ignore [nick/address] use to prevent someone from talking to you. The persons nick or address may be used. /ignore pipur

/kick [#] [nick] used to kick a user from the channel. You must be a channel op to use this command. /kick #newbies pipur

/mode [nick] +i This is the invisible mode. You are not literally invisible on IRC. Users on the same channel as you still see you there.You are invisible to a user who does a /who or /names. A /whois nick, however, will show your user information and the channels you're on. /mode pipur +i

These are the basic user commands. If you're interested, you can visit http://www.newircusers.com/java/ircmds.html for more commands (operators/moderators and such) and general IRC information.

My thanks to Google and whoever made the New IRC Users web site for the information.

BUMPAGE

Looks like we're going to drop using the Java chat thingie for meetings, and revert back to using the IRC channel. I'll keep the chat link up for general use, but remember that the WW IRC channel will be used for meeting again.

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/wingwalkers

That link will take you directly to the WW's IRC channel.

~~

For those with the Firefox web browser, you can get a neat little IRC client interface called ChatZilla as an "extension".

Visit here: http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/chatzilla/

Click on the latest version's link to install. Will require a little setting up and tinkering with, but the link above will get you started on the how-to's.