WWSandMan

Post your suggestions for improving this forum here

~~Salute!~~ Looking for some honest constructive criticisms or ideas for improving this forum. No, there [b][i]won't[/i][/b] be any large-breasted blondes serving cocktails... sorry, I just can't afford them. :roll:

[quote]How about letting me use BBCode or HTML in my signature.... ~Salute!~ Lo.[/quote] Oooops... I thought I had BB Code on for everyone... I'll take a look at it, Lo. Sorry for any inconvenience. ::EDIT:: Lo, turns out you didn't have BB Code activated in your profile. I've changed that for you. ;) This forum does not accept straight HTML use in the messages or sigs, but does make use of BB Code.

One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to follow the day to day posts. I am not sure if it can be done but I have looked to see if new posts rise to the top and old ones slide down. Can this be done and if so point me in the right direction! Also maybe clean up and consolidate the thread topics.

:?: All the new posts have a different icon beside them, and are at the top of the posting lists. (at least they are for me... I use the default "theme" for the forum) The only thing that messes it up a bit is if you leave the forum before you read all the new posts. I'll check to see if there's a certain user control for this, but it should be done automatically no matter which board theme you're using. As for the cleanup/consolidation... my broom's broken. ;) *points at Dub*

[quote="WWSandMan"]:?: All the new posts have a different icon beside them, and are at the top of the posting lists. (at least they are for me... I use the default "theme" for the forum) The only thing that messes it up a bit is if you leave the forum before you read all the new posts. I'll check to see if there's a certain user control for this, but it should be done automatically no matter which board theme you're using. As for the cleanup/consolidation... my broom's broken. ;) *points at Dub*[/quote] <Pulls broken broom handle out of ass... stares at SandMan, a single tear trickling down his cheek>

Sandman, Not a big deal but, is there any chance of putting a "View next, previous topic" button at the bottom of the page? Would make navigating just a tad easier. My scroll wheel is wore down to the size of a BB. :wink:

S! Well, since you're asking, put this on the bottom of the list, but I no longer get "new private message" window,when I login, even though I DO have a new PM, and I have "notify me" and "popup window" radio buttons chosen in profile. I do get the email notice, and know that I should click on "private messages" now, so not a high priority.

[quote="WW8Ball"]Sandman, Not a big deal but, is there any chance of putting a "View next, previous topic" button at the bottom of the page? Would make navigating just a tad easier. My scroll wheel is wore down to the size of a BB. :wink:[/quote] I think I can find something that will do this for you... **added to my to-do list** I'm going to be rather busy this weekend with family stuff, but I'll get on it as soon as I can.

[quote="WWPlague"]S! Well, since you're asking, put this on the bottom of the list, but I no longer get "new private message" window,when I login, even though I DO have a new PM, and I have "notify me" and "popup window" radio buttons chosen in profile. I do get the email notice, and know that I should click on "private messages" now, so not a high priority.[/quote] I noticed that too... I think it's got more to do with the Aeolus theme than anything, but I'll check on it. I already had this one on my to-do list, but ... the cat ate the list. Yeah... that's it. :roll: I have noticed that many of the mods I had in place before are not quite operational now, but then again they haven't been missed either. That pop-up box on new PM's was nice though... sort of an in-your-face "DEAL WITH THIS NOW" kind of thing.

[quote="WWSandMan"][quote="WWPlague"]S! Well, since you're asking, put this on the bottom of the list, but I no longer get "new private message" window,when I login, even though I DO have a new PM, and I have "notify me" and "popup window" radio buttons chosen in profile. I do get the email notice, and know that I should click on "private messages" now, so not a high priority.[/quote] I noticed that too... I think it's got more to do with the Aeolus theme than anything, but I'll check on it. I already had this one on my to-do list, but ... the cat ate the list. Yeah... that's it. :roll: I have noticed that many of the mods I had in place before are not quite operational now, but then again they haven't been missed either. That pop-up box on new PM's was nice though... sort of an in-your-face "DEAL WITH THIS NOW" kind of thing.[/quote] That was a great feature. I find that it is quite easy to miss the current message at the top of the page if you're not looking for it.

:? I'm still getting the PM popups when I login ... :? Is there any way to set up a filter so that I could get all new messages from a certain date? I was happily looking at the new messages when the power blipped and everything went dark for 15 seconds - so of course when I logged back on I had lost all the `New messages' that I hadn't had a chance to look at yet.

What I do if I need to get a list of messages from -say- the past day, is to search for "**" in all forums, then set the time stamp for messages within the past day. Using the two asterisks searches out all posts.

[quote="WWReaper"][quote="WWSandMan"][quote="WWPlague"]S! Well, since you're asking, put this on the bottom of the list, but I no longer get "new private message" window,when I login, even though I DO have a new PM, and I have "notify me" and "popup window" radio buttons chosen in profile. I do get the email notice, and know that I should click on "private messages" now, so not a high priority.[/quote] I noticed that too... I think it's got more to do with the Aeolus theme than anything, but I'll check on it. I already had this one on my to-do list, but ... the cat ate the list. Yeah... that's it. :roll: I have noticed that many of the mods I had in place before are not quite operational now, but then again they haven't been missed either. That pop-up box on new PM's was nice though... sort of an in-your-face "DEAL WITH THIS NOW" kind of thing.[/quote] That was a great feature. I find that it is quite easy to miss the current message at the top of the page if you're not looking for it.[/quote] Update: All the software and commands are properly in place for the PM pop-up box. BUT... if you happen to have security settings in place to block pop-up advertisements, they will also block this pop-up. I need to test things a bit more, but I think with the Aeolus theme being in a different folder than the old subSilver theme, the general "allow" settings I had for WW domain pages isn't quite as global as I had thought them to be. Anyway... Try accessing this forum with securty settings notched back a bit. If that bothers you a bit... then just watch for that bold "you have messages" thingie... (I can make it larger if needed)

[quote="WWSandMan"]What I do if I need to get a list of messages from -say- the past day, is to search for "**" in all forums, then set the time stamp for messages within the past day. Using the two asterisks searches out all posts.[/quote] Thank you! :D

[quote="WWPlague"]S! Well, since you're asking, put this on the bottom of the list, but I no longer get "new private message" window,when I login, even though I DO have a new PM, and I have "notify me" and "popup window" radio buttons chosen in profile. I do get the email notice, and know that I should click on "private messages" now, so not a high priority.[/quote] Okay, I can now verify this is definately a firewall/privay setting thing. I use Norton Internet Security Pro 2004, and had to edit a privacy setting for the WW domain to allow pop-ups. Now I get the Private Message pop-up window as I'm supposed to. Ummm... I'm outta time, but I can post a link to the Symantic site with specific directions for making the privacy setting change for our domain only (that way all those other sites with pop-ups will still have the pop-ups filtered/blocked) this evening.

[quote="WWSandMan"] Ummm... I'm outta time, but I can post a link to the Symantic site with specific directions for making the privacy setting change for our domain only (that way all those other sites with pop-ups will still have the pop-ups filtered/blocked) this evening.[/quote] That would be much appreciated Sandman. Will look forward to your posting.

[quote="WWReaper"][quote="WWSandMan"] Ummm... I'm outta time, but I can post a link to the Symantic site with specific directions for making the privacy setting change for our domain only (that way all those other sites with pop-ups will still have the pop-ups filtered/blocked) this evening.[/quote] That would be much appreciated Sandman. Will look forward to your posting.[/quote] Here ya go:[url=http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2002110811290836?Open&src=&docid=2000070515373136&nsf=nip.nsf&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=]Symantic Site: NIS and Personal Firewall 2003/2004 info[/url] That link takes you to the page with the relevant information, and below is a copy/paste of that same info (just to have it on hand in case they re-jig their site setup) [quote="Symantic"]Some Web pages require referrer information before allowing you to view their page. If you want to allow referrer information to pass to a particular Web page, you must create a rule for it. To create a rule Open Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall. Do one of the following. In Norton Internet Security/Norton Personal Firewall 2003, click Options > Internet Security or Personal Firewall (This step is not always needed), and then click the Web Content tab. In Norton Internet Security/Norton Personal Firewall 2004, double-click Privacy Control, and then click Advanced. Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears. Enter the name of the site that you want to receive the referrer information and click OK. In this example, it will be http://www.symantec.com. The site name appears in the left frame of the Options window. Click the name of the new site. Click the Global Settings tab. In the "Information about visited sites" section, clear "Use default settings." Click Permit. Click OK to close the Options window. Technical Information: How referrer information works When you click a Web page, your browser notes the current page that you are on and sends that information to the server of the new Web page. This way, the server for the new Web page knows the last Web page that you viewed. For example, if you are on http://www.symantec.com and click http://www.microsoft.com, the browser sends http://www.microsoft.com the information that you are currently viewing http://www.symantec.com. If you block referrer information, the server of the page you are requesting to see does not know what page you saw last. By default, Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall block this information. Some Web sites require this information before they allow you to see their pages.[/quote] When you add the new site as directed, just use "www.wingwalkers.org" :)

whew....have no idea how I ended up here.....but it looked like it was the place I wanted to go...

anyways.....noticed we can only edit a post once, which seems strange....is that an option that might be changed?  I screw up a lot.....

On 1/24/2019 at 8:05 AM, WWSittingduck said:

whew....have no idea how I ended up here.....but it looked like it was the place I wanted to go...

anyways.....noticed we can only edit a post once, which seems strange....is that an option that might be changed?  I screw up a lot.....

S!

This is the right place for exactly that request. Should be fixed now, feel free to try it out. Let me know if there are issues. Should only work if you're logged in, visitors not logged in can't do much of anything here but read some of the forum areas.

more a question than a suggestion...

this happens to me a lot on BoX forum...I go to reply to a post, and the second I hit the first Character of the reply, it inserts my complete last post reply into the post I am trying to do.  I have to find the "clear editor" button to get rid of what it just put in.   I have no idea how this happens...but is now happening to me here.   What am I doing to get this to happen?

Sounds like an "auto fill" option is turned on within your browser. Try another browser (Chrome in place of Firefox, for exple) see if happens in that one. If it does, then it may be a user or global option on this forum. Let me know either way, please. 

Actually I just had that happen to me as well.  There's a link to "clear pasted data" or something like that, which cleared the reply box so I could do what I wanted. Apparently it's a feature I haven't been aware of.