Trillian

WWSandMan

Suggesting here that all WW members get this utility and learn to make use of it. It may be *required* in the near future in order to facilitate a better meeting process through IRC, as well as handle the full range of IM software (ICQ, MSN, YM, etc.).

Anyone needing a hand with the setup, let me know. I seem to have gotten the basics of it down.

Trillian is available here:
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/download.html

OK. I have installed Trillian. At the moment I have no Instant messanger services installed. (MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, etc.) I don't really plan on changing that unless absolutely required. I had too many problems with MSN to keep it.

I just need the IRC information we will be using - and maybe a hand setting that up.

Thanks.

You don't have to install any of the messenger services Wringer. Trillian is not just a front end but a complete replacement for those services. So, if you created sometime in the past an ICQ, AOL, MSN, IRC or Yahoo account you can connect to thise services via trillian by just entering the appropriate username and password.

I, too, hated MSN, but can now communicate with those that have it and I don't have MSN installed. All of us already have Yahoo accounts. The messenger service uses the same account name/password you sign up to Commo with so you can use that. Yahoo is the only IM I can use while at work and by using trillian and your Commo login ID you could reach me during daylight hours now...

Wow. :shock:

Well, obviously I thought Trillian was, as you said, just a front end for the different instant communicators. So I don't have to re-install MSN or ICQ etc. to make use of them. Cool.

I'll set up some of my old accounts then. But I'll try not to bug you at work. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca">

Wringer - feeling like the Backwoods Wood Cutter who just bought a chainsaw. (old joke)

I was hoping to avoid writing this, but I can't be around *all* the time... despite that I'd like to be. ;) So, here goes...

Open Trillian. (Duh)

Open the Connection Manager (either by right-clicking the tray icon and choosing "Connection Manager..." or by clicking the little computer icon on the top of the Trillian window)

***EDIT***
Somewhere in here I forgot to add the channel information.... you want to enable the setting "always connect to channel #wingwalkers", wherever that question comes up... at least if you only want to use Trillian to connect you to the WingWalkers chat channel.
***/EDIT***

Where it says "Pick Medium", choose IRC.

In the pane below that box, there should be a larger pane with a lot of folders in alphabetical order. Scroll down to the folder labeled "Gamesnet". Make sure you don't choose the one spelled with a "z" in it. (Gameznet).

Expand the "Gamesnet" folder, as well as the sub-heading "Random". This should give you two sub-folders, highlite the one called "Gamesnet Randowm west US server". This will change the data block on the right to read "west.gamesnet/net", and will enter a default server port number. Leave those boxes alone.

In the "Personal Information" tab, change the top two headings ("Nickname" and "Alternate") to your WW handle. In the bottom one, put your WW email address ("wwsandman@wingwalkers.org" for example). If you want something in the right side of the two "Alternate" blocks, put it in. I've got "II/WW CO" in there.

Switch to the "Identd" tab. The top block ("userID") will probably say "trilluser" or something like that. Change this to your WW nickname. I've put a check mark in the "Enable Ident Server" check box, but I honestly don't know what it does. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_redface.gif&key=b30c314ea10c72f3d32953a265be0c32a1435b472bb99313e5e3656e23efc144">

Go back to the "Personal Information" tab, and click on the "Save Personal Information" button. I've also clicked the two other buttons as well... I'm not using multiple nicks for IRC, so I figured I'd try them. (they work)

To test your connection, click the "connect" button at the top of the "Connection Manager" window. Give it about 10 seconds, and you'll have a window pop up showing you as connected. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> Close this window (with the "X" button), and you exit from the chat server. If you minimize the window with the green down arrow, you stay connected to the chat server, but the window is minimized.

If you exit the chat server and close Trillian, then re-start it, you can re-connect to the IRC server by clicking the little grey circle at the bottom of the main Trillian window... hovering your mouse over that one will give you the mouse-over sign " IRC west.gamesnet.net". Click it, give it ten seconds or less (on my machine anyway) and you re-connect to the chat server.

If I've muffed this up, just write me ugly notes and I'll get the hint. ;)

Edited by Guest

I muffed something up in the directions that has a setting for auto-joining the "#wingwalkers" channel. I had found it when I first set things up for the chat room, but I can't find it now for some reason...

Next time you catch me on TS Wringer, and you want to give it a whirl, let me know and I'll go over it with you.

Okay I installed this, but I have to tell you all I'm totally lost! I don't see any of the things Sandman is talking about. Heck I can't even get the IM portion of it to work. Seems I entered a bad pass word some where and I can't figure out how to change it. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_e_sad.gif&key=38741f9e3530d7cdc640e0699ad44e6069f4d0e7d8af9de1ac5a402558336cb2"> /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_e_sad.gif&key=38741f9e3530d7cdc640e0699ad44e6069f4d0e7d8af9de1ac5a402558336cb2">

Gonna keep wacking my head against the wall with this and the TS patch. Yea that won't install either. Gives me an error message when I run the exe file. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_cry.gif&key=af9ce749339d5f0fdb3c25b91f656db35bace5cb48def1ec035d87a80c3c565e">

Can one of you guys post the syntax used for the connect to WingWalkers channel thingy? I think I found where it goes but I need the proper syntax

Edited by Guest

Hey Kat!

That TS download isn't really a patch - just an improved (hopefully) executable file. Use it to replace the TeamSpeak.exe in your TeamSpeak(2) folder. You may want to save/backup your current version in case you start having problems with this newer version. I just unzipped this new version right into my TeamSpeak folder overwriting/replacing the older version.

As for Trillian I have it working for MSN and Yahoo and ICQ but not too sure about IRC.

If you want to come up on TS on Sensei's server I'll listen out for you - 1:12pm EDT.

Wringer: I found it!!

To auto connect to the "#wingwalkers" channel, open the Trillian connection Manager.

Select IRC as the "chat meduim".

There are three tabs on the right, the default open one is "PErsonal Information", then there's "IdentD" and then there's "Perform Buffer". Click the "Perform Buffer" tab.

There's a check box there that says "On connection, perform these commands"... make sure a check box is in there.

In the data box below, enter the following as the command to be performed: /join #wingwalkers

You can click the "set on all servers" button, but I don't think you'd want to... you'd be making a wingwalkers channel on every IRC server you join...

With the information I listed in my directions post above, this *should* have you connecting... I'll be around to test it out for a while this evening, soon as CinC-House gets done with me. ;)