WWTharn

cant think of anywhere else to post. eq2...

I have always been a fan of fantasy- artwork/stories..games-you name it.
I played everquest for about 6 months and decided it wasn't all that I wanted in a game like that. I have just spent an hour reading at the everquest 2 website and looking at all the screenshots and I came away with a pretty positive outlook about it.

has anyone else been keeping up on this and what are your impressions/hopes?
One of my personal requirements in an online game is to not have to play 24/7 in order to get anything out of it. A couple hours here and there to get taste of some role playing in a fantasy world is all I need.

Now how am I going to juggle -Rome Total war(if it's as good as it's suppose to be, and EQ2-if I decide to take it up) one of these is going to take a second spot behind IL-2- I don't think I can do both.

Tharn, if you can find a copy, try Gothic I or II (+ add on).

One of the *best* fantasy/medieval RPG(light)/fantasy games I ever played, I'd recommend playing part I first, as the story of part II is based on part I, although the graphics are a bit outdated. Orcs, Goblins, Dragons - you name it ;)

One of the few games I played repeatedly with a different character (basically fighter or mage, although there are some subtle in-betweens). I highly recommend it - Fate-approval included.

Fate!! lol--- I'm currently in the middle of Gothic 2.
Did the Morrowind thing when it came out and enjoyed it-
Gothic has a better feel to it imo.
thanks for the heads up anyway.:P - currently playing the Paladin quest-I would of liked to do the fire mage but I'm not sure I would have been able to succeed the first time through.

If you decide to try eq 2- let me know- I will most likely jump into the fray with you. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Moved Topic

Now you have a place, Tharn, Fate and all other FRP gamers. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

If you're into the whole MMO thing, I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for about 2 weeks now. It's pretty fun. The background story goes like this:

King Arthur is dead, and the three realms of Camelot have split, warring against one another. -end

It's pretty fun, and there's some nifty realm vs. realm stuff at lvl15 (lvl 11 here, hehe). The entire map is actually Great Britain and you can visit Stonehenge and everything, it's cool. I'm an Avalonian Wizard who likes burning things to death! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_twisted.gif&key=76870aa9df6931b692ccc9ef4c7472a7834d1d9dfc6a76eccadd1fa39c0df891"> It's all very true to the myths and monsters of that time, which is another plus, and it never gets tiring exploring the fricken huge map for little details like an ant nest, where the ants are as big as you are! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

There's a free 7-day trial on Fileplanet

Based on Tharn's and Fate's comments I picked up a copy og Gothic II. Found it in a bargain bin for $9! Anyhoo, what a frekin' nightmare of a combat system!

Any suggestions? -- Bbecause I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to fight in small places and the camera keeps jumping from first person view to third and getting me VERY disoriented.

Has to be the first game I've played where strafe left and strfe right don't actually strafe step....this is going to take some getting used too...

I can't get past the 2 bandits in the cave on the opening trail! Hmmm, mebbe that fireball scroll...

S~ Sensei.
Well right off the bat your character is not going to move very fluidly because he's just not a good fighter yet.
But there is a way to make the combat less tricky/
I set up the keys more like a fps. not having to use 2 keys to swing the weapon helps. you can go into options and set it up as you see fit. for example- when fighting close combat i can use my a-s-d keys for movement side and back and i use w for forward swing and the q-and e for slashing. after you level up a bit you can combo. it works more with timing -
i would suggest to set up your keys on what feels good to you.
also- when your attacked by more than one creature- if you don't 'lock onto' one of em they are very hard to hit. i have 'f' key for lock on.
When I first encountered the bandits in the cave -I used a fireball on em- but you can by pass this and return later- the game is huge and you have many many levels to gain.

first thing though -set up the key commands to get out of 2 key attack mode-

first: thanks SandMan :D

Tharn, hehehe, nice game, huh?

Sensei, the combat system in Gothic takes some time to get used to but - when you get used to it, it's actually one of the best IMHO. Not just clicking on the creature (like Diablo), but using good timing and the right way of moves will do the trick.

At the start of the game, you're a wimp. 2 Bandits are really a tough fight with just a laughable weapon, no armor and no combat training.

Timing: let them come towards you, then at the moment they lift their weapon to strike, do a left-right combo, they are most vulnerable at that point. Then step back, and let them come to you again. Do not get into a fight against both at once, never get surrounded, retreat and search for corners etc where only one of them can get to you. If all else fails, swallow your pride and *run*. Most ceatures will only follow you for a short time, once they turn around take some healing plants or food to regenerate and try again. Oh, and save early and often ;)

I have another way than Tharn about the one-key thing - I have the wsad key set to move forward/back and strafe, when I have the left mouse button pressed simultaneously (or however that is spelled) they work as strike forward/block and swing left/right (Do some pratice without an enemy around until you "get into the swing" with the left/right strikes). It gives me more control over the combos than a one-mouse-click action and I can rest my fingers always on the same keys. In Gothic 1 that was the only way to fight, so I got used to it... frankly, I never really tried the one-click-system, just tried it once and dropped it.

Another tactic is to use the bow to hit and run (You have found the bow, yes?). And of course, spells come in very handy but they are expensive for a new character and you won't find many of them at the beginning.

And after all, if you were a guy armed with a wooden stick, would you go against 2 blokes with a sword and leather armor? ;)

As Tharn says, you do not *have* to fight them now, avoid them, gain some experience and better equipment, and return later with a smile on your face /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_twisted.gif&key=76870aa9df6931b692ccc9ef4c7472a7834d1d9dfc6a76eccadd1fa39c0df891">

>snip<
And after all, if you were a guy armed with a wooden stick, would you go against 2 blokes with a sword and leather armor?
>snip<

Are you kidding Fate? In real life, Sensei would whip both guys into jello just for grins, then somehow manage to render himself unconsious while trying to bend over to rifle their wallets.

von

>snip<
And after all, if you were a guy armed with a wooden stick, would you go against 2 blokes with a sword and leather armor?
>snip<

Are you kidding Fate? In real life, Sensei would whip both guys into jello just for grins, then somehow manage to render himself unconsious while trying to bend over to rifle their wallets.

von

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_clap.gif&key=b3c3b69dc821e094f8e6a428b61d77ca8c19db84efe7e1e7ef7215326ff9b4bd"> Too funny Bro!!

-If you're into the whole MMO thing, I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for about 2 weeks now. It's pretty fun. The background story goes like this:

-King Arthur is dead, and the three realms of Camelot have split, warring against one another. -end

-It's pretty fun, and there's some nifty realm vs. realm stuff at lvl15 (lvl 11 here, hehe). The entire map is actually Great Britain and you can visit Stonehenge and everything, it's cool. I'm an Avalonian Wizard who likes burning things to death! It's all very true to the myths and monsters of that time, which is another plus, and it never gets tiring exploring the fricken huge map for little details like an ant nest, where the ants are as big as you are!

-There's a free 7-day trial on Fileplanet

You can d/l it, but once you go to the website to get a code, it says that the trial is full....

OK, toasted the bandits--literrally--and beat the other two with a stick. I got into town and through massive use of picking fights with bad things and running to the city guard have managed to become the Bowmen's apprentice.

Found the mage who can increase my magic power but could really use combat training. Is there someone in town for that or do I have to wander down the road a bit first?

Oh, and Snappers are a Really Bad Thing to try and fight as a low level guy...

There's a guy who will teach one-handed sword fighting in the barracks even if you haven't joined the militia IIRC. Look for some militia types (wearing red armours) doing sword practising and talk to the one standing in front of them - the barracks are near the market place, up the stairs.

Magic power is not *that* important if you don't want to go the mage way although it is helpful for a Paladin. And even if you want to become a mage, a good knowledge of close combat is very helpful (hey, Gandalf was good at sword fighting too...).

Rgr on the Snappers, lol. There are some creatures you should really, really avoid as a low level char, but I don't want to spoil the fun of finding that out on your own ;) Just remember to save often. One of the game's best things is to go exploring in a living environment - but you never know what you'll encounter next. If you like to go hunting it's better to single out individuals from the herd by slowly moving forward and then retreat a bit once one them is attacking you so you can fight them one by one (doesn't work with wolves or goblins as they'll always attack in a pack).

One thing I forgot to mention - if the camera swings wildly around you during combat, you know you're in dire straits, i.e. with your back against a wall. You should always plan your egress route before an attack (now where did I hear that before?) and keep a back door open to run if things go the wrong way.

Don't try to rush through the game, try to gain as much experience as possible in every chapter by solving side quests or killing nasties.

Hey, and congrats on toasting the bandits /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Gothic2-
I learned quite a few things in the Harbor District- before I made the decision to join one of the factions-
If you ever decide to jump into the water for a swin- you will sink head first- dont panic- left mouse button and your walk/run backwards key (i think) will put you vertical again. use the mouse to swim to the top- once there your run forward key'only' lets you swim on top of the water- i drowned 3 times before I figured it out. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">