WWSandMan

Pacific Fighters Bug List

~~Salute!~~

We all know that every new game, version or add-on from 1C Maddox and UBI has a few warts. Pacific Fighters is no exception. So let's hear what it is you've found that doesn't work or needs tweaking to work.

Obviously the first thing anyone with an older graphics card will notice is that all the water held in the Pacific needs some serious horsepower to display with all the intended "reality". My GeForce 4 Ti-4400 (128mb) falls far short of being able to display the water in it's full glory.

The Ki-61 (all versions??) flight model is BADLY porked. Try it out once, and you'll see you're flying a machine shaped like a "Tony" by which flies like a cement truck with a flat tire.

Playing PF online last night for the first time, I experienced several bad things. First off, I got dropped back to the desktop after using internal enemy ground padlock to find targets, and using the "y" and "u" keys to cycle through targets. Simply droppped me out of the game comnpletely, but still left a piece of PF in memory that I had to shut down using ctrl-alt-del and choosing to close il2fb.exe, before I could restart the game. It also adjusted my desktop resolution (1280x1024) to the game resolution I was flying at (1024x768) during the DTD. Very annoying.

I tried to find out what may have caused this... the only thing I had running that directly affects FB/PF was IL-2 Mat and IL-2 Mat Manager. I disabled IL-2 Mat and had no further surprise DTD's. I need to ask Aces High if anyone else has reported problems with IL-2 Mat and an FB-PF installation.

At one point, I had to exit the game server and rejoin in order to load a new mission (Cephas was hosting, and was running concurrent co-op missions). I wasn't alone in this, I think Chunk and maybe Screamer also had to do this at various points. I was locked into the scoring screen after a mission, and could not exit the game or get the new mission loading screen to come up. I finally had to kill it via ctrl-alt-del (again) and re-join. It did not mess up my desktop resolution that time though.

I hosted a few PF canned missions for Taco and Plague via Hyper Lobby on Saturday. I discovered that I had to again resort to using the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to completely remove il2fb.exe from memory each time I exited the game and returned -or tried to return- to Hyper Lobby. As soon as I killed off il2fb.exe from memory, HL would pop right back up, showing me "online". Without killing off il2fb.exe first, I'd sit there forever waiting for IL-2 to completely close before HL would become active again.

It seems this only affected me as host. As a client, I experienced no troubles exiting a game and returning to HL.

Very frustrating... Has any other mission host had to resort to Task Manager to close il2fb.exe??

I'm glad to know that everyone is progressing well in PF.

However, I have a serious problem and have not been able to solve it. My installation would not allow me to read the 'readme' first, so I installed over IL2FB +AEP. I now have the combined package. However, I learned afterward that a 'video setup' window should have showed during the installation which did not happen.

I went into the IL2FB folder and discovered that all the 'readme' files had been converted to .rtf files [whatever the heck that is] which I cannot read.

My game periodically freezes and I get the blue screen of death with an error message. Some aircraft will not respond with either the keyboard or HOTAS key I mapped for lowering or raising the gear.

I can do some limited things, but this installation is hosed!! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_cry.gif&key=af9ce749339d5f0fdb3c25b91f656db35bace5cb48def1ec035d87a80c3c565e">

However, I have a serious problem and have not been able to solve it. My installation would not allow me to read the 'readme' first, so I installed over IL2FB +AEP. I now have the combined package. However, I learned afterward that a 'video setup' window should have showed during the installation which did not happen.

I went into the IL2FB folder and discovered that all the 'readme' files had been converted to .rtf files [whatever the heck that is] which I cannot read.

My game periodically freezes and I get the blue screen of death with an error message. Some aircraft will not respond with either the keyboard or HOTAS key I mapped for lowering or raising the gear.

I can do some limited things, but this installation is hosed!! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_cry.gif&key=af9ce749339d5f0fdb3c25b91f656db35bace5cb48def1ec035d87a80c3c565e">

Landing gear has to be manually raised and lowered on the F4F-3, which seems very odd to me. Haven't done any R/L reading on this plane so I'll assume Oleg knows what he's doing.

The .rtf files are word files. Should load in the word pad utility that comes with windows automatically. Or, get the MS word viewer from the WW web site links.

Funny I also had weird system probs during the install. After the install was done and I clicked finish it seemed that there were 2 sessions of windows running on my system at the same time alternating back and forth about 30 times a second. Anything the cursor passed over was loaded, right clicking on stuff didn't work. Restart didn't cure it, had to shut the system off with the case button and let it sit a couple minutes before rebooting. No further problems after that. Hyperthreading incident? No idea, but sure was strange.

I did not get the `video setup' window when I installed PF over my IL2FB-AEP setup either.

I did have to uninstall my Omega drivers and went to the Catalyst 4.1 from ATI. - I think I have said that already.

I can Email you the ReadMe files if you like?

Good Luck!

For Reaper:

Looks like it has the manual gear retraction/extension as Sensei says-> the crank is animated when you raise/lower the gear - similar in fashion to that little Russian open cockpit fighter.

@ Natops: First off, I'm very sorry to hear that PF isn't working well at all on your system. We need you to be up and running on this so you can point out the differences between real carrier ops and what the game uses!.

Also, .rtf files are "rich text file" format, which can be opened by MS Word or WordPad which comes with Windows. There's a link in this forum (somewhere) for a free MS Word file viewer, which can open all MS Word formatted files. Or, right click the .rtf file and "open with..." WordPad.

@ Reaper: *ALL* F4F Wildcat aircraft (F4F-3 and -4, and FM-2) were outfitted with manual landing gear extension/retraction apparatus. It wasn't until the F6F Hellcat that Grumman began using powered landing gear systems. If you have keys mapped within the game to raise/lower the landing gear on the I-16 the same keys will function for the entire F4F series.

I haven't tested it in-game yet, but I have read accounts where pilots would lower the landing gear by unlocking the crank (round gear with a handle on the lower right front of the cockpit, looks like a bicycle sprocket with the chain running forward through the firewall), then pulling positive G. This would drop the gear out of it's well and lock it in place fairly quickly. It could also give the unwary pilot a nasty bruise if his leg was in the path of the quickly spinning gear handle!

Thanks for the info, guys! I d/l'ed the WordPad Viewer from the WW Web Page Links and now I can read the .rtf 'readme' files. (I have XP Pro which only has NotePad...which won't read the .rtf files.) I purposely have kept admin stuff off this puter and that bit me on this installation.

It clearly states in the 'readme' that the F4F's have manual gear retraction/extension only. What threw me is that I hit my gear button on my HOTAS and the gear worked about 1/3 of the time before it stopped working altogether...go figure!!

I have suffered the blue screen of death with an error code about 3 times, so far. So, something is definitely wrong. However, when it works, it works extremely well and the graphics are absolutely spectacular (for a geForce 4 Ti4600)

Has anyone used Cachman to counter the memory leak? Maybe that is what is causing my problem also.

@ SandMan: I'd love to share with you guys what I know about the carrier landing pattern. After flying this for a few days, it's obvious that we will need to make certain concessions to this particular sim.
1) The prop/throttle control is completely unrealistic (IMHO). The prop should be at 100% pitch in the "Charlie Pattern", but if you do that you will never decelerate. ie.: this sim does not bleed energy like a read aircraft. So you must reduce prop pitch to decelerate.
2) The trim is far too laggy, so trimming up for "slow flight" (Navy's term for flying straight and level while completely "dirty") is far too time consuming and much more difficult than real life.

That all being said, this is by far the best sim I've ever seen for carrier aviation (I was the Navy's F-14 Project Director for simulators and bought the 2F112 WST, 2E6 OFT, and the upgrade for the 2F95 at over $112mil.) And we only pay $40 bucks!! I can tell you that these graphics are far better than what we had in 1980.

I am working on a manual narrative of the "Charlie Pattern" and the "Delta Pattern" but we can get together and fly it too. Our TO's and the more experienced pilots can take this info and adapt it to suit the WW's. It's just important to know such terms as "180", "90", "Upwind", "Downwind", "Crosswind", "Break", "Don't extend", etc. hence written diagrams and explanations.

WoW! Didn't mean to write a book....No...I'm not really excited by this sim!!! :lol: :D :P

@ SandMan: I'd love to share with you guys what I know about the carrier landing pattern. After flying this for a few days, it's obvious that we will need to make certain concessions to this particular sim.
1) The prop/throttle control is completely unrealistic (IMHO). The prop should be at 100% pitch in the "Charlie Pattern", but if you do that you will never decelerate. ie.: this sim does not bleed energy like a read aircraft. So you must reduce prop pitch to decelerate.
2) The trim is far too laggy, so trimming up for "slow flight" (Navy's term for flying straight and level while completely "dirty") is far too time consuming and much more difficult than real life.

YOU SAID IT!

At 300+ kph pulling off the throttle to idle - running the pitch to full fine/max rpm and trimming for level flight should have the aircraft decelerating to aluminum brick territory very quickly. If trimmed for a modest descent instead of level the speed should be slowly bleeding back to approach values.

I wonder if a note to Oleg at the `secret' address that Max gave me would have any effect?
I commented politely that the American built aircraft had a bug/issue/mistake in the way the Directional Gyro was modelled. (it reacted like a spirit compass to turns/acceleration NOT a like stabilised heading source).
I never got a reply but the Directional Gyros at least seemed to become more accurately modelled after a patch or two.

So perhaps a note from several of us might have some effect on upcoming patches or at the very least the development of BoB?

That all being said, this is by far the best sim I've ever seen for carrier aviation (I was the Navy's F-14 Project Director for simulators and bought the 2F112 WST, 2E6 OFT, and the upgrade for the 2F95 at over $112mil.) And we only pay $40 bucks!! I can tell you that these graphics are far better than what we had in 1980.

I am working on a manual narrative of the "Charlie Pattern" and the "Delta Pattern" but we can get together and fly it too. Our TO's and the more experienced pilots can take this info and adapt it to suit the WW's. It's just important to know such terms as "180", "90", "Upwind", "Downwind", "Crosswind", "Break", "Don't extend", etc. hence written diagrams and explanations.

WoW! Didn't mean to write a book....No...I'm not really excited by this sim!!! :lol: :D :P

I'm looking forward to your input Natops - both how it was realistically done and how we can adapt it to handle the limitations of the sim that you have pointed out.

S!

You bet, Wringer. This is really a blast for me. Hope that I can get us all on the same page in the patterns. When this works, it is really slick.

One thing I heard, but not sure if its true: When you land on the carrier, taxi fwd., fold wings, and insert chocks, aircraft which bolter fly right through without a collision. Like to try this out.

Sounds good!, Natops. I googled up natops, and natops carrier, (sorry Bud, I've been "dumb" concerning your callsign and what it was), /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_redface.gif&key=b30c314ea10c72f3d32953a265be0c32a1435b472bb99313e5e3656e23efc144"> and found lots of stuff, including some crappy copies of carrier landing diagrams that I could hardly read, they were 6th generation copy machine "copies" scanned on a scanner. I suppose you already looked those over and found the same?

:lol: :lol: S! Plague!!

NAVAL AVIATION TRAINING AND OPERATING PROCEDURES STANDARDIZATION [Here come de yellow caps!! :shock: ]

NATOPS is the Navy BIBLE. Since it was such a large part of my life at one time, thought it'd be a gud tag!! hehe The check pilots all wore yellow caps!! yoiks!

I'm at work and will be leaving for Tampa in a few hours...there for a few days. However, I have a link .pdf file for the current carrier NATOPS. You could probably 'google' it up like I did.

I'm in the process of writing a narrative and maybe I can get 2GvSAP_DART to do graphics for it. As I mentioned above, we will need to make some concessions to this sim due to the hosed prop control and trim lag. This makes it nearly impossible to do a break. (Also, you must crank the gear up/down on the F4F's/FM2's.)

So, bottom line, the TO's will need to take a look and decide how the WW's will use this pattern info.

On chocking: Yes, if you land and chock your aircraft, others landing behind you will simply go right through you. No bangs. Very good idea IMO, as there isn't much real estate to play with on a carrier deck!

New bug I've found:

B-17E aircraft damage model/damage skin: if a B-17E takes damage to the forward fuselage, the whole fuselage section from the waist forward to the cockpit turns black.

Took these shots after I landed a Marine campaign P-39 on Guadalcanal (don't ask why a Marine is flying a P-39... that's what they issued me!)

These are two different aircraft from teh same mission....

b17e_damage_1.jpg

b17e_damage_2.jpg