Sign in to follow this  
WWSandMan

Something new...

Not sure how this will appear as a forum sig, but thought I'd give it a try. Inspiration from a recent contest at screenshotart.com, where the AG16 crew were looking for a sig-pic that could be modified easily for all their members.

I'm nowhere near as talented as the contest winner, but with a little help, something like this could be used as a basic sig-pic block for WW members (if they are so inclined to use something like this).

sandman_8.jpg

hmmm... the lighting is a bit wrong, that bottom-right edge has too much black to it. Doggone "inner bevel" tool is a real pita sometimes. (sigh)

hey sandman could u make me one of those with a p40m in it?

oh and have u checked out the guy in my avatar lol, mean looking little rascal lol.

it'll be tomarrow, i'll hafta take a screenshot, really appreciate u doin this for me though /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

No sweat... Edit a couple layers and save the new file; export as a jpg and upload. Presto. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

layers?????? i downloaded gimp today and tried to work on that picture but i havne't got the editing thing on gimp quiet figured out but i did see something on layers, what is that?

You remember the overhead projectors from school? The teacher would place a transparent sheet with pictures or text and show it in large form on the movie screen or wall? Graphic "layers" are like those transparent sheets.

Each sheet might contain just a piece of an over-all picture. If you placed several of them together, on top of each other, you would see just one picture displayed on the wall. Remove a sheet, and that much less was displayed.

It's the same thing with graphic layers. That button in the first post has about 15 layers to it. The button itself is one. The WW logo and it's shadow are two more. The web address is another, the nickname and it's shadow are two more. Etc., etc.

I started by deciding what size I wanted the graphic to be, 400 pixels wide x 200 pixels high in this case. I created the image with a transparent background. Then I filled the whole thing with a base color. Then I deleted a rectangle for the aircraft picture. Then I played around with various tools, deciding I liked the effect the "inner bevel" tool gave. Then I added in the other doo-dads I wanted.

I added text as vector layers, then copied the text layer only into a new image. I pasted that new image back into the original as a raster layer (hiding the original vector layer from view). As a raster layer, I can add visual effects to the text (various things like how wax, glass, chrome and drop-shadows). When everything is set as I want, I merge the visible layers into one flat layer. Then I save the file as .jpg or whatever (usually I save as a .png first, then save as .jpg or .gif).

Throughout the process I'm saving the file, so I wind up with half a dozen or more images in various stages of completion. That way if I really screw something up (usually the text layers, lol) I have a restore point to go back to. If I need to add new stuff to the file, I add new layers to the original. Sometimes I often forget to save at a critical point though (in this case before I added the inner bevel stuff, so I can't easily go back and fix that), but I'm getting better at disciplining myself to do frequent saves.

I use Paint Shop Pro to do all this. The serious graphics artists (Dubya, Professor Fate) use PhotoShop and other high-end software with all the gee-whiz fancy stuff to do their work.

i downloaded gimp, supposedly its supposed to be as good as paint shop pro.

you might try and modify your sig file so that it's not quite as tall. about 100-150 pixels high is pretty standard. Just to assist in downloading as well as keep a thread mainly content rather than mainly sig.