The Beginning of my Life

WWChicken

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they still use the human mop.

One private would lie on the floor with his elbos extended but arms in and a wet towel across the length between his elbows. Another private grabbed his feet and pushed him around the squadbay. We had no mops, it was the way they made us do it. It actually works great and is fast and leaves no stinky mops in the closet.

We also used to have to scrub our BDU's out on the washrack with Tide and a scrub brush, then air dry.

I wonder if they still use the human mop.

One private would lie on the floor with his elbos extended but arms in and a wet towel across the length between his elbows. Another private grabbed his feet and pushed him around the squadbay. We had no mops, it was the way they made us do it. It actually works great and is fast and leaves no stinky mops in the closet.

We also used to have to scrub our BDU's out on the washrack with Tide and a scrub brush, then air dry.

OMG!! Moppin the squadbay for ghost turds! With just as you explained! There's somethin' I hadn't remembered in a loooong time! :D

Exactly, one private is on his elbows and another private grabbin his feet and pushing him around! ROFLMAO!...amazing how many dust-bunnies there always was...

Must be an Army thing, but we actually had mops. Even used them, too. For their intended purpose, no less. :lol:

re: the company idiot. Ours was a guy from Texas named Sekor. He was not the brightest bulb on the tree, nor was he handsome or coordinated or even considered a living thing by most of us. This guy was big as a hundred year old oak tree, but stoop-shouldered and neanderthal looking. He rarely spoke. He took all kinds of abuse from everyone (DI's and recruits in equal measure), in the mildest "aw shucks" manner you could envision.

In the end, he was the biggest hero of my company. He saved a DI's life.

So, dumb or not, pretty or not, every man in your squad and company is important. Sekor had one shot at "glory" in his life, and he did so in a totally selfless act that saved another man's life. That it happened to be the only time we ever witnessed speed, grace and athleticism from him made the whole thing that much more surreal to the rest of us.

That he tripped, fell and tore down half the bunting on the stage going up to the podium to accept the Post Commander's award for heroism was just.... well, it was perfect. Shortly after that he was offered an honorable discharge from the Army, and took it. He wasn't so dumb after all.

Grenade range. One recruit was up to throw a live grenade over the wall, DI standing beside him. Sekor was "on deck", next in line behind a concrete wall. Except he was watching over the wall instead of hiding behind it (I was in the bunker further back, looking through the armored glass, making a joke about that recruit dropping the grenade and Sekor getting his head blown off).

And it happened... the recruit went to throw the grenade and it went up... and straight down beside the DI. The DI went to catch it but missed, pushed the recruit down (who promptly scurried into a nearby foxhole dug there for just such an accurrance) and was looking for the grenade when Sekor vaulted the concrete wall, ran up (about 10 yards distance), grabbed the grenade from beside the DI's feet (knocking the DI down in the process) and tossed it down-range. It blew up in the air about 10-15 yards away. Sekor just stood there and looked dumb-founded, staring at the puff of smoke being carried away by the wind. He never got a scratch despite having the grenade blow up in his face 15 yards or so away.

Every one of us in the bunker was absolutely silent, mouths open and jaws dragging on the floor. Then someone said "Un-f***ing believable!" and pandomonium broke out as everyone rushed out to see if anyone on the line was hurt. Range safety guys immediately closed everything down and got order restored.

Initially Sekor was "detained". I heard that the DI was going to file assault charges, and toss in a few insubordination and dis-obeying direct orders charges as well. Evidently someone pointed out to the DI that he would be in little baggy-sized pieces if not for Sekor's "disobedience"....

Ummmmm. We had an angled depression with a deep slot just for the DS to kick any dropped grenades into. They have long fuses or did for us, at least a good 5 seconds.

Casualty radius was 5 meters on ours but yeah, you get caught by a hot frag at 20 and it's going to hurt like a bitch at the very least!

That hero... I'd have to say and it's hard for me to believe it's possible but he really was too dumb to be in the Army! They should have sent him off to be a Marine!

WWMG

Hey, this will be my last post for a while (save tomorrow if i'm not too busy).

I just want to thank everyone here for all the tips, counsel, and advice. I'll definitely remember each and every one of them. I report in at the Holiday Inn tomorrow at 4:00pm, but i don't know any of my mailing info yet. I'll try and teach my girlfriend or my mom how to come here to post the stuff. :D

Thanks for being here when i need you guys most, i'm so glad i have this second family to come to for help with anything. I'll do my best and pass boot. If not, i'll come back and try again! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca">

Semper Fi!
Chris Herr

To all Wing Walkers;

Wanted to let everyone know, Chris is off to start his new life. I will keep all of you posted on his progress. I just wanted to thank all of you for the incredible support you have offered my son. Believe me, it has meant alot to him. He never stopped talking about you guys, and as his mother, that means alot to me.

Thanks again for everything...

Delia A. Herr (MilitaryMom.net)

Yep, that "grenade sump" was there, but the DI lost the "ball" and, well, you can't kick what you can't see.

heh.. we had a set of concrete walls waist high in a staggered pattern.

if you dropped a grenade the nco would heave you and himself back over the wall.

To all Wing Walkers;

Wanted to let everyone know, Chris is off to start his new life. I will keep all of you posted on his progress. I just wanted to thank all of you for the incredible support you have offered my son. Believe me, it has meant alot to him. He never stopped talking about you guys, and as his mother, that means alot to me.

Thanks again for everything...

Delia A. Herr (MilitaryMom.net)

Thank you very much for stopping by, Mrs. Herr. (may we call you Delia?).

We'd greatly appreciate news on how Chris is doing. As Chuck (Reaper) noted, he's a very special young man and we'd like to keep our collective eye on him.

... now... what is there around here I need to hide from your view... :shock: ;)

Mr. Sandman, (May I call you Sandman?)

Feel free to call me Delia. Bard asked how long boot camp was for my little tyke? 13 weeks, than 10 days off, and 4 weeks of combat training.
I have three older brothers, three sons and a husband, (I am the only woman in my world, except for Chris' girlfriend) I don't think there is anything around here that you need to hide, believe me when I say, I've probably seen it all...I can take it!!! My son's a Marine for God's sake!

Semper Fi~

Delia (MilitaryMom.net)

Me too, Hap! :lol:

I'll answer to just about anything /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca"> Folks around here call me Sandy, but my real name is Monte.

Sounds like you've got your hands full with all those men in your life. I think my own wife would run away screaming at thought of so much testosterone in one place! ;)

I'm the lone male in our household, except for pets.... now why is that suddenly so ominous?? :-k

Hello all,

Delia here, (Chris' mom)...Wanted to let everyone know, I got a brief call from him on Tuesday, saying he was at MCRD and doing fine. Yes his hair is gone!

My question is, do you have any idea how long it will be before he will be able to write to us?

It has been almost a week, and no letter, we don't even have an address to write to him. They said he would be able to write to us everyday, but haven't heard anything, I'm not sure if the recruiters knew, (or told us), the truth.

Yesterday was 'Black Friday', they say the worst day in the recruits lives. Meeting the drill instructors, etc...

I know he's busy the first few days, so I thought I'd ask the experts, when I should expect to hear from our young man?

Any thoughts on the matter will settle my nerves. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

Thanks Guys,

Delia