CoT III: Press Release

WWSandMan

SimHQ Thread Link

II./JG1 is pleased to announce the unveiling of a new virtual online war – the Clash of Titans III. In keeping with the proud tradition of the original Clash of Titans online war, II./JG1 now offers to the full-immersion community the opportunity to participate in our latest virtual war. This is a squad-based, invite-only tournament that seeks to maximize both pilot immersion and exhilaration by stipulating 'realistic' settings within the context of a semi-historical campaign.

At its heart, the COT III system is designed to eliminate the tedium that has traditionally gone into participating in and maintaining a virtual war. It uses specialized, custom-developed software to automatically parse the results of online missions, populate pilot and mission statistics on the COT III website, generate new missions using DCG, provide extensive yet simple planning utilites and enforce the agreed-upon rule set. The only human interaction required is to have the host kick off the mission (or series of missions) from HyperLobby. Everything after that is automatic.

Highlights of the system include:
- Fully dynamic ground and air campaign, using Lowengrin’s acclaimed Dynamic Campaign Generator (DCG).
- Completely automated war system that requires virtually no human intervention to run and maintain.
- Versatile web-based mission analysis tools that allow for quick, simple access to the results of previous missions in order to plan for upcoming missions.
- Dogfight-only format. This ensures that the only opponents you will encounter will be other humans, making for a rich and varied experience.
- Fully tracked squadron and pilot statistics, with special emphasis placed on pilot “renown.” Renown is an indication of a pilot’s performance within the tournament, and gauges how well the pilot has flown, both in terms of kills as well as survivability and fair play.
- “Fog of war” implementation, where pilots are only aware of enemy units that are either directly visible to their side’s ground or air units, or that have been spotted by a successful reconnaissance mission.
- The ability to fly any of several different kinds of air missions – including true reconnaissance missions, results of which can directly benefit pilots on the same side by allowing visual identification of all ground units within the recon radius of the plane at the time the recon “photos” were taken.

All interested pilots are invited to point their browsers to http://cot.simjunkie.com/ in order to check out the format, the rules and the FAQ, and to see if it is a fit for their style of play. To register your squad, please visit this link and follow the instructions.

We hope to hear from you and your squad soon!

Sounds like fun to me, should be a good chance for the full real fans to get the immersion they crave, and the not capible fans to fly with full real fans to learn how to nav., and id aircraft.

Somethings I'm not clear on:

Leaving the Server

You may leave the server at any time and most times that will not be a problem. However, to avoid messing up your stats it's advisable that you leave only after a terminal event has happened, e.g. your plane crashed, your pilot died or was captured or, preferably, you managed to land safely.

Flexibility:
Players can join dogfights in-progress, leave and rejoin, so there are fewer frustrations getting the game started and finding time to fly.

Similarly, you can leave at any time provided you properly terminate your current sortie, i.e., do not disconnect while either you or your plane are still airborne. If you do so you may incur a renown penalty because this action wreaks havoc with log-parsing and, by extension, everyone's stats, including yours

Seems to be conflicting info.

Taking pictures:
You toggle your landing lights or wingtip smoke on and off once to "snap" a picture. How many pictures you take and how large each one is will depend on your armament:

Interesting, nice. if not having to roll the dice with the print screen button "lockups", but curious how tapping smoke will put a picture in players FB/PF root directory, or be captured in the parser, etc.

I will be HL off and on Saturday 8-13. Those of you who want to take a look at full real, learn the little bit that I know about Nav, and plane id, jump in, I can think of nothing more fun than flying with friends and learning together.

Sounds like fun to me, should be a good chance for the full real fans to get the immersion they crave, and the not capible fans to fly with full real fans to learn how to nav., and id aircraft.

Somethings I'm not clear on:

Leaving the Server

You may leave the server at any time and most times that will not be a problem. However, to avoid messing up your stats it's advisable that you leave only after a terminal event has happened, e.g. your plane crashed, your pilot died or was captured or, preferably, you managed to land safely.

Flexibility:
Players can join dogfights in-progress, leave and rejoin, so there are fewer frustrations getting the game started and finding time to fly.

Similarly, you can leave at any time provided you properly terminate your current sortie, i.e., do not disconnect while either you or your plane are still airborne. If you do so you may incur a renown penalty because this action wreaks havoc with log-parsing and, by extension, everyone's stats, including yours

Seems to be conflicting info.

Seems clear to me. You can exit anytime you or your aircraft are not in flight, just as it says. The first line also says the same e.g. your plane crashed ( your plane is no longer in flight), your pilot died or was captured ( your pilot is no longer in flight {parachute})or, preferably, you managed to land safely ( again, no longer in flight).

Looks like as long as you dont log-out in mid flight or while floating down in a chute - you should be ok with regards to renown

What is the conflicting part?