Mission Success... Tell All Your Friends!!!

WWDubya

As I alluded to in another thread, here I will describe the mission success criteria and how they will be displayed on your personalized Parade Dress Uniform.

Mission Success is determined by adding up the total number of VEF (or any other WW officially sanctioned waring event) missions flown, then subtracting the number of times you have died. These figures will be found at the VEH HQ. In other words, for purposes of our own scoring, we don't care if your side won, but whether you survived or not.

Mission Success will be displayed on the left side of the fusilage by way of a series of Red and White hash marks arranged in groups of 5 (4 vertical and one diagonal slash through the vertical strikes). The groups will be arranged in three rows of three groups. The top row of three groups will be red, the bottom 2 rows of three groups will be white.

Each white mark equals a single mission survived. 30 missions survived will earn you 2 full rows of three groups, or 5x3x2.

Each red mark represents 30 missions survived. A full row of red marks means that you have survived 450 missions, or 30x5x3.

As soon as you have survived your 31st mission, your plane will have all of its markes washed off. A single red mark will then be painted in the top row and a single white mark will be painted in the second row. Once you have survived 61 missions, all the white marks will be washed off and a second red will be added, plus a single white. This pattern continues until you reach a total of 450.

At 451, everthing is stripped off and a large gold slash will be painted through the entire area once occupied by the three rows, then a single white mark is placed at the beginning of the 2nd row, and over the gold "sash." The pattern then repeats itself.

30 missions, all by itself, doesn't seem to be all that much, but when you put it in perspective, it is really quite an accomplishment. Dee is now at 21. How long has it taken him? About 6 months. Granted, we had a long time where we were not all that active, but even so, flying 4 or 5 missions per week and surviving about half, to three-quarters, will take several weeks to get a pilot to 30. So, our II/WW CO and WW Wing Merit Officer, SandMan, has agreed that whenever a pilot reaches a milestone of 30 survivals, it's time for the WW to have a shin-dig, drink lots of vodka, toss Happy in the air (and shoot him /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_twisted.gif&key=76870aa9df6931b692ccc9ef4c7472a7834d1d9dfc6a76eccadd1fa39c0df891"> ), and officially award the pilot his Red Hack with the appropriate fanfaire due any hero of the Blue and Gold!

• 1 year later...

Wow... digging a thread from the past...

Yes, missions flown in any organized event (VEF, IS, RBWL, FiF-x, etc.) will and do count for .... I'd say awards and recognition, but this office is exremely lax in dealing with those subjects. (sigh)

If you have kept track of your own participation in events such as those listed above, and any others I didn't mention, forward the approximate number of missions to me, your Squadron CO/XO, Lady A, or Dubya.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee at this time what we'll do with lists of that sort. At one point Dub was making II/WW aircraft skins on request in Dress Blues, with appropriate markings to indicate missions flown, rank within the unit, etc. I was also at one point going to come up with a current rank and awards system, so that everyone in WW would know which awards would come automatically after x-number successfully completed missions, what criteria would need to be met to advance in rank within your squadron, which awards were available for recommendation to others, and so on. Hopefully as winter approaches and I -we- have more time to devote to important details like these, they'll become standardized and implemented.