Sandy... new trick for ya (now that you're getting the hang of transparency-work.)

make a copy of the WWsheild layer
desaturate it (grayscale)
contrast as high as you can get it without losing too much definition
duplicate the layer
invert the colors on the second layer (negative image--white is now black and black is now white)
set transparency on both layers to soft-light (it will look like both layers disappear when both are set this way... don't worry about that)
select one of the layers and with the arrow tool (drag and drop) selected, use the kb arrow keys to shift that layer up one and over one pixel...

Let me know what happens!

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca">

Dammit Dubya... don't go teaching me tricks. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/thwack.gif&key=32ceb27943c5b7e303d4697fb5d1c6d7fc2bf883ec1b57511e3141351b1b64ff"> I got flying to do!

(copied, printed and sitting by for the next PSP session)

What I want to do is turn that WW logo into a vector so I can resize it without losing all the definition. I think. Maybe. Can that be done?

twhhhooo... /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_redface.gif&key=b30c314ea10c72f3d32953a265be0c32a1435b472bb99313e5e3656e23efc144"> Vectorizing a rastered graphic; beyond me, Sandy. However, attached is a result of my directions... the quality is pretty much the same; little loss of definition. This can be softened up some by using a little gaussian blur before duplicating the layer, though. You can also play around with the opacity to get a lighter effect... depends on the background image and how much -- or how little -- of the effect you want to see.

::edit:: hmm, the displayed attachment expanded the size of the image (jaggies), so the example isn't the prettiest... copy it to your desktop to see it in its original size.

Edited by Guest

Okay... so I just *had* to see...

I chose a bad target to start from, as it had a shadow on teh same layer (I've since started placing drop-shadows on new layers, much handier that way).

Anyway... quick run through got me the following. Neat effect!

There ya go!!! Looks pretty sharp on screen prints... you are still able to see the BG and you get the benefit of the logo as well!

Okay... minor problem. How do I "un-gray-scale" the image? Trying this on a sig produces a cool result -BIG TIME!- but it alters all the image's layers to gray scale also. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_evil.gif&key=36bc05a3863f15788b23d585f469a280df42babbcc58b8301d709f526041b146"> Gotta be a way around that...

Got it figured... I think.

Copy the layers of the logo to the existing image, then re-set the "soft light" attribute for the new layers (when the logo layers are pasted in, they lose their settings for some reason).

If the logo doesn't have a background behind it, it will be displayed in greyscale, so it requires a color background.

Now... how to go about making it a bit more visible?

/later/

Yes Reaper... like a watermark. Now... wouldn't that be easier than all this other messing around?? Hmmm.... Oh... "watermark" as it pertains to graphics is a way of adding digital information (creator, copyright, etc.) to graphics files, not like a watermark on a piece of paper.

Okay... while Dub's trick is neat, it doesn't work too well on signature pics. There are too many objects/doo-dads in a sig pic to make the "watermark" effect (to borrow Reaper's observation) visible. That effect is best seen on a solid color background.

But. I learned a new trick, and one that I'm sure will come in handy. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> Thanks Dub!

/considers splitting these last few posts off this topic/

Actually that post above isn't entirely correct... I was using Sensei's sig as a work object. It's not the best choice for *this* sort of logo effect, as it's got a lot of "lines" and things to mess up the "watermark" logo.

My own sig may be a good candidate for the effect, though. Why I didn't stay working with that one, since I started there, I can't answer. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

Here it is....

sandman_logo9.jpg

Hmmm... I like it.

Compare it to the one below...

About tweaking that effect.

To help make it stand out more on busy BGs, simply double-up on each layer... two normal BW, and two negative BW.

You can also mess with te 3D effect by going one down and one right intead of one up and one left. Even try two or thee taps of the dirctiona keys and see what happens.

Also, as alluded to earlier, blurriing effects can also be a good friend.

(btw, Sandy, you now know how to create 3D panel lines... /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca"> )

I think it looks awesome in black and white, less so in color.

sepia-iffied color also gives off that worn-authentic look, especially if a noise layer is applied, and burred with motion-blur in the up-down axis, relative to the subject matter. Again, soft light and tone down opacity level on that layer only.

I noticed playing with the two layers by moving them in different directions garnered different results. Actually got that lesson (and a lesson in linking layers together) when I tried to reposition the shield... half of it moved, and half of it stayed put. Got some interesting results! LOL! I haven't messed with the blurring effects though.

As for the stuff immediately above this post, you're going over my head again....

Really? Panel lines are created that way? Never knew that. Always thought it was some voodoo you conjured, because the one day I sat down and tried to draw panel lines it looked like someone took a 4" wide paint brush and painted them on. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4"> I decided skinning aircraft was not my thing after that.

Heh! VooDoo!

drawing the lines is a real time consumer... use the vector line tool on a blank layer and trace. Once you have all the lines in, raster the layer, then use your new-found skills to do the rest!

A noise layer is a blank layer that you fill in with black, or white, or gray, then select one of the filters that adds "noise" or gives off some sort of grainy effect when applied to the new layer. set the layer to soft light, or other transparency mode, then select the blur tool, and set it to wind or motion and dink around a bit... trial and error until you get the effect you are looking for.

To get the sepia look, make a new layer, fill it with a bronzey/brown color and use your transparency skills.

If this is VooDoo, then I'm a real witch doctor! :lol:

... what these guys do to the logo ...

What I want to do is turn that WW logo into a vector so I can resize it without losing all the definition. I think. Maybe. Can that be done?

You mean the large version used for the T-Shirts is not big enough? :shock:

Vectorizing could be done but the 3D effects would suffer from it. And it would have to be done by hand and that would be a tedious task.

Actually I meant I wanted the logo as a vector for re-sizing smaller. The maxi-size T-Shirt logo is outstanding. I used that once when a guy from another squad asked for our logo (this was a while back... may even have been JG1, but I don't remember now). He was duly impressed. ;)

Anyway... if vectorizing the amaller logo is as much a pain as you guys say it is, don't worry about it. There are options around that, such as that trick Dubya showed me, and using a larger size logo as a background like I did for Happy.

By the way... Have I thanked you lately for creating the logos Fate? I remember how that came about. Shadow and I were both trying to make a heraldic symbol for the WW's, and you popped in with the current logo and blew us away in one stroke. It was a classic drag-n-bag if I ever saw one... :lol:

I was just thinking the same thing Sandy. I was admiring how awesome our Shield and Wings looked and was thinking what a fantastic job Fate had done. Now I'll put it down officially. Fantastic work Fate, the WW's owe you a huge S!

I'm always impressed by those with artistic talent. Awe more like it. I am completely inept in the art department. Not only could I not stay in the lines I seldom stayed on the paper. I bet I'm the only kid who ever flunked finger painting...

Not only could I not stay in the lines I seldom stayed on the paper.

You would have needed a bigger piece of paper then. Not staying in the lines can be called your personal art style.

Like with everything else it all comes with practising. Artistic talent helps because in the beginning it leads to success more quickly, therefore making it easier to stay motivated. But in the end the guy who practises a lot will always come out on top. Just like in sports, learning an instrument or flight simulations /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Unfortunately, most art teachers at schools aren't very interested to teach the joy of art and promote individual abilities.

*climbs off the soap box*

A little off topic, or back on it. Whichever. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

/rant_mode=1/

Lost my favorite "glass" plug-in. Dammit!! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_raving.gif&key=bbfdbe93a6117de80adcb9b3c7e6f4e28bb478854abbafd76271f75bde0a4486">

And since when did Flaming Pear put a time-bomb in their trial-ware plug-ins?? Dang-nabbit... /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_raving.gif&key=bbfdbe93a6117de80adcb9b3c7e6f4e28bb478854abbafd76271f75bde0a4486">

/rant_mode=0/

On the up-side <??> I'm up to the latest Corel PSP 10 now. Not so sure it was a step up though.

A little off topic, or back on it. Whichever. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

/rant_mode=1/

Lost my favorite "glass" plug-in. Dammit!! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_raving.gif&key=bbfdbe93a6117de80adcb9b3c7e6f4e28bb478854abbafd76271f75bde0a4486">

And since when did Flaming Pear put a time-bomb in their trial-ware plug-ins?? Dang-nabbit... /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_raving.gif&key=bbfdbe93a6117de80adcb9b3c7e6f4e28bb478854abbafd76271f75bde0a4486">

/rant_mode=0/

On the up-side <??> I'm up to the latest Corel PSP 10 now. Not so sure it was a step up though.

I have had PSP for years and up-graded it every time that they made a major improvement. I haven't done anything with the latest edition - in other words I haven't sprung for it yet...
Why the less than enthusiastic report on it Sandy?