"Over Flanders Fields" CFS3 Mod installation

WWSandMan

Been finding a bunch of negative posts about OFF installation problems. So, thought I'd get a little primer going here. I still haven't my CFS3 disks to even start, so this will (eventually) help me as much as you!

For starteers, some folks are claiming you *must* have a clean CFS3 installation to begin with. Others are able to install it despite having multiple mods. I guess it's a toss up... for me, this will be a clean (patched) install.

Note: there's a 3.1 and a 3.1a patch on the Microsoft site for CFS3. Both these must be installed before installing OFF. Those patches can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/downloads.asp

~~~

Now, for the OFF install itself, I found this :

Originally posted by Winding Man:
For Support goto the Sim-Outhouse.

Read the documentation on the install path namimg convention - the destination Folder MUST BE:

CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Nothing else!

Look here to delete your install and re-install:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10562

HTH

WM

Content on the forum linked to above is this:

If you are having problems getting OFF working here are some things to be aware of:

1) Read the Docs!

2) LEAVE the path as defined in the ClickTeam installer i.e

X:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesCFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Where X is your chosen drive - ONLY change the drive letter nothing else!

At the very least the OFF folder MUST BE CALLED:

CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

To ensure that the clone process works!!

FAILURE TO DO THIS can result in "mission load" errors as OFF is then looking at the standard CFS3 config and startup files, and will not work.

Effectively OFF is no longer a clone and disaster strikes.

3) If you are having VB runtime errors please read the docs and follow the hyperlinks - this issue is solveable - I have no idea why some OS installs are incomplete from a VB runtime library POV but it is solveable, and it is also IMO far to common a problem - MS should take heed of that.

4) Create a clean CFS3 install to work from : Other errors are most likely due to problems copying from your "standard" heavily modified CFS3 - under these circumstances do the following:

4.1) Backup your existing CFS3 install

4.2) Use Martin Wrights Mulcsf3 to clone your existing install to a different folder.....

4.3) Uninstall and reinstall CFS3 from scratch Patch to 3.1 and then run it once - make sure it works properly - fly a few missions make sure you can exit!

4.4) Remove all existing CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folders (search for them!)

4.5) Remove the WW1Scenery Folder

4.6) Install OFF.

5) If you attempt to reinstall OFF after a failed install attempt YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:

5.1) Remove all existing (often partially created) CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folders (search for them!)

5.2) Remove the WW1Scenery Folder

6) DO A TEST!

Do this little test.

Navigate to :

C:Documents and Settings"User Name"Application DataMicrosoftCombat Flight Simulator 3.0

NOTE this is the standard CFS3 Folder

Delete the UISEL.XML

Retry OFF

If it works OFF has not cloned properly.....so check 1)

HTH

WM

The bottom line is to carefully install per directions.

If you get a missing .dll file error, they have it on the OFF web site for download.

Okay ... time to find my CFS3 coasters err... disks ... and give this a try.

Which one was CFS3? The Pacific? (I hope a hope a hope /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca"> )

If it was I just have to paly archaeologist in my desk area to find it. :P :D

Hmm... no, the one with the Pacific on the cover was CFS2.

I must have given away my copy of CFS3, since I can't find it to even test this new mod out. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_e_sad.gif&key=38741f9e3530d7cdc640e0699ad44e6069f4d0e7d8af9de1ac5a402558336cb2">

I've got CFS 1 and 2, but 3 is missing. And frankly, I'm not going to buy it again. Oh well. Maybe the info I gathered will help someone out with this.

Hmmm....WW1 with TrackIR support?

....I'll take it!

Found CFS3 for 30 bucks at Best Buy- Downloading OFF now.

And it looks like just the final folder ( ...CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields )needs to be unchanged, the path to it can be anything ya like.

Let ya know how mine installs under d:CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

UPDATE!

Well, I took 8Ball's advice, grabbed "GetRight" and about 45 minutes later I had all five files --

- 600 Meg Addon
- Patch 31
- Patch 32
- Patch 33
- The .dll file fix

as well as the CFS3 3.1 English update from Microsoft.

This is the proceedure I did with excelent results:

- Installed CFS3 into d:CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields
- Installed Microsoft's CFS3 3.1 Patch
- Launched the game, adjusted settings & created pilot
- Unzipped the 600 Meg OFF addon into the CFS folder
- Found and Ran the OFF Installer found in that directory
- Installed the 3 other OFF patches ( 31, 32 and 33 )
- Unzipped (and registered) the .dll file into c:windowssystem32
- PLAYED!

This is actually quite good! I'm enjoying it!

S!

• 1 month later...

Bumpity bump!!

I went to the big smoke today to get some stained glass supplies for my door project, and checked various software outlets for CFS3. Finally found it at Future Shop. Had to pay $39.95, though. With exchange, pretty much what Brian paid, but I bet he didn't have to pay 15% tax on top.

Pierre

Bumpity bump!!

I went to the big smoke today to get some stained glass supplies for my door project, and checked various software outlets for CFS3. Finally found it at Future Shop. Had to pay $39.95, though. With exchange, pretty much what Brian paid, but I bet he didn't have to pay 15% tax on top.

Pierre

8.5% sales tax I think it is here in California...was good for a couple more bucks...but who's sweatin' the little stuff?

If you have any issues Pierre, gimme' a shout, my install went smooth, as well as all the patches applied...so it actually does work.

I'm still just messin' around with single player though. But I suspect the MP side is just as reliable as the SP side of things. Lemmi know...

S!

Important Information

Please confirm you have read and understand the rules above

Please Sign In or Sign Up