WWPlague

AI so "smart"?

Ok, I have settled on the E4/B since thats what we get when IS FB starts. No He111 or Stukas, right? So, I go to QMB, and set up 4 planes, me and 3 others in my flight, 4x50kg bombs. Bridge as target with AAA. As soon as I get into the mission, I command the 3 AI to "Loiter here". I get the "roger, loitering here" response, but they dont. They go ahead with their attack on the bridge. Even a "previous waypoint" gets a "roger, prev way" response, but "on" they go. I have tried Veteren and Ace settings, neither make them loiter. I am getting the correct answers but not the correct action. Anyone get the AI to stay off the target area with the same setup in QMB?

The key to AI is waypoints. When you command them to do something they will do it at the next uncleared waypoint in you path. So, if the "Loiter" command is given and the only waypoint you have is the one over the target area....

Ditto for "Rejoin". It directs them to rejoin at the first uncleared waypoint...which sometimes can be that first waypoint back at your base...so you have to use the "Next Waypoint" command etc.

You can actually control the AI pretty well if you are the leader and there are some waypoints to work with (for instance ALL bomber routes should have an IP point about 5-10 kilometers out from target...).

Proper waypoint plotting and planning are key to having the Ai be useful and successful...

I've noticed that while average AI can tell you're back there, it takes a little while so if you can storm through on a fast pass and get your shots in they won't have time to dodge. This is more important than setting up careful shots and in these cases close is good cause it's harder to miss. Go for the cockpit and engine even if you have to shoot through the whole plane, because now you can!

WWMG