Windows XP Services Auto Shutdown AND Restart

WWNatops

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

It was posted over at Joint Operations and really got my attention. It supposedly adds about 30 seconds to bootup, but auto shuts down unwanted XP Services and restarts them again upon exiting IL-2.

Poster says it has really given his memory a boost that he can tell the difference when using it.

Yes, it was brought up previously in the "Pilot's Lounge" back in June 05 by WWMaxGunz - I still haven't heard if anyone is actually using it - sounds like it could be helpful, now that "End-It-All" is "ended" [i think FSAutostart took over the "End-It-All" group].

That Thread was renewed recently but no feedback:

---------------

viewtopic.php?t=4277

WWSandMan wrote:

There's something about this... basically it's a new incarnation of EndItAll (remember that old nugget??)... May warrant a bit of testing.

Thanks for the link Max.

---------------

Has anyone done a "bit of testing" on this "FS Autostart" program?

I used to use End-it-All [on W98SE] and End-it-All 2 [on W2k] and really liked it. It shut down all the crud I didn't need when playing online [or on SP]. Then, next "boot" my computer was running everything again without me having to do anything at all.

It was really convenient and made a FPS difference [especially in MMP play].

I have a new [to me] XP OS which scares me since I've been "out of it" [flight sims] for a few years.

Has anyone been using a "shut down" program to speed up your resources? Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere here - I did a search and this was the only thread I could find.

Thanks for helping a non-WW-squadron member.

S!

Jim Erbeck

-------------------------------

Again, S!

Jim Erbeck

After I attempted to install this SW, my Cougar HOTAS went tits up! [Don't know if it's related, but odd coincidence!]

The installation was unsuccessful and I uninstalled it. I've been offered help over at Joint Operations. But I'm gonna think about this one...ie.: if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

I had to use HOTASCleanse, Flash my Cougar firmware, compile, and reinstall my Cougar programming! [it hosed my Pitch axis...could only push my nose over about 5%!!!] HOTAS 4.0 now.

So, I'm gunshy now! Now realize that I am a puter NUB and you might have much better success with the installation. It would really be nice to turn off all these running services and have them turn on again when exiting the game.

This is no joke.

If your computer runs with no crashes, and you can fly with it, best to leave the "software fixes" to those who want to have challenges in their life.

Plenty of people here willing to give advice on helping performance, when it comes to hardware choices and settings.

And, just because someone has some software or another running and helping them, doesnt mean that you wont have some horrible experience, based on hardware being different.

I have a P4 2.1 gig, 1 gig of PC2100 ram, AGP 4x Ti4200 64m ram video card that gets 70 fps offline, with all up but perfect.

Natops, whats your video card? Is that 35-37fps online or offline?

Has anyone been using a "shut down" program to speed up your resources?

Nope.

Welcome to the forums, vonurbach. Sometimes guys are off flying IL2 and just have time to "skim" some posts and pick out the ones they "need to read".

I just noticed your question, so provided an answer.

Would you care to share your computer specs? Not to turn this into a "mines bigger" contest, but I'm pretty sure someone(s) here had to have, or has, a simular computer setup, and would have some "tuning and setup tips" for you, if you are looking for a way to improve frame rates.

Got it, Natops. I'll check my Ti4200 online and see what I get on Stalingrad server. Then we can compare what fps your better card "could" be able to do, and if it looks low, check game and vid. card settings.

EDIT: I'm getting 40-70fps with 50 avg. using the ingame Fps counter, in both F4 and JU88 on the Stalingrad server.
My drivers are 6.14.10.5216, (ice age old), with v-sync off, all AA off, and the image quality slider in the middle, or performance. I have Overclocked this ti4200 some, at 280/545, its about Ti4400 clock speeds.

Thats with all visual details up in game, except perfect. You might get another 10-15 fps with some fine tuning, but hard to say for sure.

I will be busy tonight until 9 or 930 CST, might get on after that.

Sandman had a Ti 4400 or 4600, we might check what settings he ran, if we think your card should be doing better fps.

I have a Ti4400 on the shelf now. Went to an FX5700 then to a GF6800 which is my current card. Through all the video card upgrades, my actual in-game FPS has remained pretty close to the same: 30-40 average with a max of 70 (vsync on, 70 is refresh rate of my monitor at game resoulution of 1152 x 864).

The reason I haven't seen a stepped increase in FPS is that I dial up the eye candy with each new video card. I'm perfectly comfortable running at 30fps in a low-alt furball. Being able to run in high(er) res, with 4x AA and 2x AF and running the game in perfect mode all adds up to a better experience, IMO. After all, what's the point of graphics-crunching power if you don't use it? And yes, I'm well aware that I'm about five generations behind in the "graphics crunching power" category, but for me the 6800 is top-shelf stuff, baaayy-beee.

I hear ya Sandy. I don't stay near the top of the PC game either in term of raw processing power. My card is an ATI X800 which I think is in the same league as the 6800. Only reason I got to upgrade was a friend was getting rid of it to upgrade his system. Had a 9700 Pro before that.

As you well know I inherited the 5700 you had and it now sits in my son's computer as an upgrade to his GeForce 3 card.

My current mobo is capped at AGP 4X so upgrading much further graphics wise isn't really good bang for buck. I have a P4 3.04 GHz processor which was top of the line when it came out and still holds it's own, but if I upgrade at all I have to go the whole route of new mobo, new graphics etc.

No spare scratch at the moment. Had all three cars inspected in the last 2 months and all three required about $1500 to get through things. Nothing major but it doesn't take long when you need 12 new tires, 2 brake jobs, 3 timing belts and a handful of odds and ends as well. That took care of the "rainy day fund" for the year...so hoping for sunny skies the rest of the year.

Other than IL2 my game playing addiction has wandered to the bargain bin. I've been picking up older titles for $10 or less. They were games that caught my eye way back when but was too cheap to pop $50 a piece for them. Since most are 2 years old or so they run great on my system with max eye candy turned up. Latest one was Farcry that I got $4.95. :D

Natops, the last thing I would suggest and advise at this point, is to change your vid. card drivers.

It's second or third on my list of how to turn life upside down, when things go wrong, as far as computers go.

I would be glad to share my in game vid setting with you at your convience. One other thing, is your CPU speed, which will have a bearing on your fps, and if you want to follow up on this some night, catch me online, and we can see if we can increase your fps, based on what you "could be" getting, based on the final factor, CPU speed.

If..., settings dont help fps, then, maybe, a different driver install.

There was a thread done in the windows forum at Anandtech.com a few months ago. The initiator of the thread did a study on computer preformance with windows services running and with various ones shut down.

I'm not a software guru so alot of it was over my head, but the short and sweet was that any preformance boost was marginal and no more than 2% could be expected.

IMHO that is not enough of an increase to warrent mucking about with software that may or may not cause a problem.