WWShadow

Back on Duty! Hopefully! LOL

Well it's looking very positive that I'll be back to flying duty this week!

Just putting the finishing touches (I hope, what a drag) on setting up this system and windows and all the drivers and etc, etc, etc.

But it's looking extremely positive that I'll be back on active duty, I can't WAIT! LOL

I should make the meeting tomorrow night as well (unless wife has other plans, but I don't think she does).

That's great news Shadow /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Pretty damn good timing too, with Sensei stepping away from the TO (Bombers) position... But before I (or Wringer) start throwing training demands on you, we'll give you a chance to get firmly in the saddle. It's been a while since you've been active, and I imagine there's a little rust to be knocked off.

hey, sounds great /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

does that mean you will be available at prof.fate-friendly hours again ?

Fate

Sandy,

No problem, shouldn't take me to long to knock the dust off.

I did a couple test flights last night while tweaking the system (just couldn't help myself. :D/ )

I shot down a few targets in quick succession.

I was pretty surprised, the first few times it was a bit difficult to get the convergence of wing guns, but after a few tries I got it down. A bit more practice and I'll be competant pretty quick.

The Hurricane sure is a pretty terrific plane, surprisingly. Not at all like I expected. History says that the P40 was somewhere in between the perforance and handling of the Hurricane and the Spitfire, but from FB it seems that the Hurricane is MUCH more superior in all but speed (and that's pretty damn close) to the P40 so far.

12 x .303 machine guns are like a freaking buzz saw! Shoot and watch things get blasted to hell. lol

6 x 12.7mm don't seem to have nearly the same hitting power.

Anyway, shouldn't be to hard getting back in the saddle. =P~

The Me109 series, holy shit! They are rockets! LOL Gunnery with them is also SO much easier, at least so it seemed with me. I also flew the Lagg3, and although it has nothing on the 109's for speed and energy, it's guns are stunningly devestating! Of all the planes I flew around with for a few hours, it was the easiest and most economical (ammo wise) I flew. In the Lagg3 I was a marksmen of exceptional proportions. LOL With the 109's coming in pretty close as well. The P40/Hurricanes I wasn't as quick to kill with but I'll get better as I said.

Fate!!!

Yes, Fate friendly hours will now be a common situation if you so wish, look forward to winging with you once more! I also got Sal (WWoScottyo) to get FB as well and he probably will be joining us as well during "Fated Hours", =D>

Okay,

Just an update.

Everything was looking good till windows blew up. LOL So having reinstalled windows and all that it entails (shit I hate windows). I look to be back up and running again and although it's been a pain to reinstall windows, all the issues I had prior to that have disappeared and my system is actually running better. So I guess it was a good thing.

I have flown a few sorties already with WWoScottyo and find the system solid and steady. Although this GF3 card is getting a bit old now, I still get an average of about 60fps at 1280x960x32 which I am quiet happy with. On the busiest of the beefy maps(with AI, ground and air, and city scapes etc) I still get a nice 40fps solid. I wonder what I would get with a better GPU? LOL

Anyway, I'm available to fly with, afternoon to mid-afternoon is best for me, but I can be available for evenings as well (as long as I don't do that to often or the House CiC gets grumpy).

So Fate let me know when you can fly and I'll be there. Kat do you still have daylight hours available or you back to night flying? Anyone else, let me know. I'm rusty, but not excessively so, though I must admit that I'm using distance "icons" at the moment as I can hardly see dots and such. lol I'll need to work on my SA big time. My gunnery is the pits at around 10%, but apparently when I hit I mostly hit sensitive stuff. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> WWoScottyo and I just flew another sortie and we each got two kills, each with 10% gunnery, however I got mine with 34 rounds and he got his with 75. heh

Anyway, looks like I'm back (what a long damn wait, but I would guess it's been worth it, this system ROCKS!)

well, this week will be pretty busy for me, I'll let you know by e-mail or MSN if and when I can fly (btw - in Germany we switched to daylight savings time last weekend so I am at GMT +2 now).

I'd be interested in your graphic settings. I have a GF3 Ti200 and my frame rates are a lot worse than yours (AMD 1900+, 512 MB RAM) with in-game graphic options medium to low. Or ... maybe it's about time to reinstall Windows ;)

Fate

Sure Fate, here ya go:

XP2100+@2.1Gig
512MB Ram (PC3200DDR XMS Corsair)

I have 43.45 nVidia Drivers installed. (Though I was getting about the same fps with 40.72 and 41.09).

System (PC) setup:
No FSAA
No Anisotropic
Intellisample to Quality
OpenGL set to always 32bpp and Vsync always off

IL2FB Setup program set to:
Texture Mipmap filter: Bilinear
Texture Compression: NONE!!!

This setting by far gave me the biggest fps boost. I found Trilinear and Anisotropic by far to be the largest killers of fps, and believe it or not 16 bit and S3TC also took quiet a chunk out of fps. I tested this extensively and painstakenly and trust me in that Bilinear and NONE are best settings. Otherwise you stand to lose 20 to even 30 fps loss.

Everything else is default.

In IL2FB proper, I have graphics set to HIGH for everything. Sal (WWoScottyo) also has a GF3 Ti200 and a AMD 1.4Gig CPU, only he has 128Mb of PC2100 DDR Ram. He also saw marked improvement in his game. When we fly online, I disable clouds for him because of his memory, works out great.

One more note, turn your sounds to just 8 voices or default. Even with a good sound card, you can lose a few fps with more then 8 voice sound.

Hope this helps out some.

As for your time, Arizona is GMT -7 as you know, so I guess we have a 9 hour difference, so my afternoons should work out for your evenings. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> Sal and I fly daily now from about 10am my time to roughly 3pm my time (not all the time, but inside that bracket. LOL) So that would be, lets see, 7pm to Midnight your time?

Thanks Shadow, that's pretty much the same setup I use. I also found that - contrary to IL-2 and popular belief on the message boards - texture compression set to "none" the best option. Mipmap Filter bi- or tri-linear made as good as no difference for me (+/- 1 frame on average)

For comparison I use the "black death" track, from 0:03 to 2:30 and use FRAPS for FPS measuring.

Results are Avrg 28-29, Min 11, Max 60

As this track is only using outside views I made another test track myself, the results are comparable though.

Video Options

Visibility Distance Medium
Object Lighting Medium
Objects Detail Normal
Landscape Lighting Medium
Landscape Detail Low
Clouds Detail Medium Clouds

1024x768x32
Stencil Buffer OFF (made no difference, but you never know...)

Extensions etc. in IL-2 setup are standard GF3/GF4 setting except Polygon Stipple OFF (no difference but I like the darker shadows) and Anisotropic Extension OFF (made as good as no difference)

Det 40.72
No FSAA, No Ani, VSync OFF
Couldn't find Intellisample on my GF Setup

Sound Engine DirectX
Playback Channels 8
Audio Quality/Sapmling Rate 22050
Extensions enabled
3D Engine Mode Minimal (fastest)

In general frame rates are ok as long as there is no town visible. Then thy drop down lower than in IL-2 even with lower video options.

----

Flying hours sound good to me, expect me to show up in the near future /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Fate

Let me see, I have the following settings (starting from card to game).

System setup:
DirextX 9a
nVidia 43.45 Drivers
GeForce3 Card. Intellisampe=Quality, No FSAA, No Anisotropic
Desktop set to 1280x960x32
OpenGL set to always 32bit
Disable VSync

IL2:FB Setup Program:
OpenGL
1280x960x32
No Stencil Buffer
Texture Mapping: Bilinear
Texture Compression: None
Uncheck: Use Dither, Disable all, Clip Hint, Use Palette, Texture Anisotropic Extension

Sound:
8 Channels
Desktop Speakers
Minimal
Uncheck Audio Enhancement and hardware acceleration, and the radio boxes.

In Game:
High
High
Excellent
High
High
Detailed Clouds

With these settings I get with FRAPS using the Black Death track:
2003-04-05 22:39:32 - IL2FB
Frames: 4311 - Time: 119980ms - Avg: 35.930 - Min: 22 - Max: 49

I can actually use Excellent everything and only lose about 2-3fps, but it's easier for me to see ground details with high so I use it as you probably know ProfFATE. I can use Perfect, but I lose about 7-8fps and like excellent I can see detail better and the water although gorgeous at perfect just isn't worth it to me.

This is what happens when I use S3TC compression. Sure in outside views mostly you gain a boost in performance (a slight one). Here is what I got with my above settings, with S3TC:

2003-04-06 11:01:19 - IL2FB
Frames: 4510 - Time: 120284ms - Avg: 37.494 - Min: 22 - Max: 50

I gain roughly 1 extra fps across the board. However, that is kind of misleading. While in cockpit (where we do most of our flying. LOL) I actually lose about 13fps. With S3TC in cockpit fps average around ~23, yet with no compression I get roughly ~36fps average. But if you compare my over all average for Black Death, I only lose 1fps in outside views with no compression, but gain 13fps in cockpit. Personally I'd rather highest fps total I can get with Black Death AND internal cockpit viewing, so I get better perforance WITHOUT compression. Not only that by my image quality is MUCH better without compression.

This is mainly posted for anyone else reading this as I think Fate already knows all this. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

Between Weasel's posts and Shadow's on fine-tuning FB, I'm now getting anywhere from 12 to 300 FPS.... at 1024x768/32bit with everything turned to max (except the one ultra-realistic setting). Thank you fellas, excellant tips!

I still haven't decided which works best for me, OpenGL or DirectX. Both seem very good on my machine, with OpenGL having the nod for slightly more detailed textures.

I'm using DX-9.

Hey, can anyone post some info on how to get 300 fps with my Radeon 8500? hehe

Easy two step process...

1) Sell the 8500

2) Buy the 9800

there ya go...

Hey, can anyone post some info on how to get 300 fps with my Radeon 8500? hehe :D

LOL! You are lucky. I get maybe 20 fps with my Radeon 7000. :P

Howdy
Using Shadows settings I get the following.

2003-04-08 11:20:06 - il2fb
Frames: 3862 - Time: 147610ms - Avg: 26.163 - Min: 11 - Max: 55

Iwill MPX2, 2 AMD XP1800+, 1Gb PC2100, 4 10kRPM LVD U160 SCSI,
Radeon 8500 128mb.

I can't disable stencil buffer in 32bt mode. I have this thread going
running in the background.

With the settings I prefer.
Desktop to 16bit 1280x960
Game to 1280x960 16bit no stencil. Anistropic, S3TC, all checked except
clip hint and palette.
Video options to: High, High, Exc, Hi, Exc, med clouds.
This thead up in back ground.

2003-04-08 11:34:01 - il2fb
Frames: 3666 - Time: 147547ms - Avg: 24.846 - Min: 11 - Max: 58

I'm going to get a 9700Pro soon. I'm going to try and crank my cpu's
up to 2100 or 2200+'s as well. I'm being rather optimistic about
overclocking them:) but they are green AGOGA's.

S!
Weasel

To disable stencil, do it from the setup program, and NOT from inside FB.

I can do it there no problem, same was true for IL2. Couldn't do it from inside the game, but only at the setup program.

If you can't it may be due to the ATI cards, it seems a trend may be developing for them and stencil, but I don't have enough data yet to be conclusive about that.

Howdy
Rgr I tried disabling it from Il2setup. It shows disabled there
but after I launch and rerun setup it's back on.
If I set my desktop and game vid to 16bit I can disable it and it
stays off.

I hope they come out with the new 3.3 radeon drivers soon:)
I'd like to see the improvement, if any I'll get from them with
my 8500. These latest driver game me free anistropic filtering.

S!
Weasel

Yep, this is what I've been hearing about the ATI cards. They work, but only in 16bit. I've heard of other issues with the ATI cards and 16bit, but I thought (though I admit I don't track this to well as I don't own an ATI), that this was taken care of with drivers and DirextX 9a?

You know, I've seen a lot of people struggle with turning off Stencil and coming up with elaborate ways to do so, but in the end, for me, on obth my GeForce 3 and my ATI 9700 Pro, Stencil off resulted in poorer looking graphics and worse performance. 16 bit graphics look very poor to me (spoiled in my old age) so I don't prefer them at all. I generally got much worse looking graphics with no increase in FPS going 16 bit. Am I just "lucky" that way?

Alright, between Weasel and Shadow's tips, on High, High, Exc, High, High, Med i'm getting an average of 35fps, min of 1, and max of 134! Whoohoo! :D

Before, i was getting an average of 11-14 and a max of 54...

Howdy

You know, I've seen a lot of people struggle with turning off Stencil and coming up with elaborate ways to do so, but in the end, for me, on obth my GeForce 3 and my ATI 9700 Pro, Stencil off resulted in poorer looking graphics and worse performance. 16 bit graphics look very poor to me (spoiled in my old age) so I don't prefer them at all. I generally got much worse looking graphics with no increase in FPS going 16 bit. Am I just "lucky" that way?

For me. The visual difference between 32bit and 16bit are minimal.
with stencil bit off and in 16bit video mode the graphics look a tad
grainier. It's not particularly noticeable in 1280x960 and higher. I notice
it more so at 1024x768 and lower. But that might be just the lower
resolutions. The big visual difference is in shadows and transparent
textures imo. They look worse than with stencil buffer on and in 32bit
mode.
Over all I'd say it's simular to the difference between DX and OGL.
They both look about the same but much better FPS in OGL. Tracers
and plane shapes are a bit easier to see in DX. Overall OGL looks
better though.

When I get my 9700 Pro or better I'll be "lucky" that way too ;)

S!
Weasel