WWPadre

advice on building a pc

I'm turning my p 4 1.8 over to my wife for her business. So here's what I need to know..... Up till now I've pretty much been a Dell/Gateway guy. But I want to have the flexibilty to swap out components as needed to upgrade. I 've looked at Alien ware, Northwest etc. They seem nice but trés expensive. I'm going to look around locally to have one built. But I know zippity doo-dah about mobos etc. Can someone recommend they best way to go.? I have the vid card (Winfast Ti4600) but I need all the rest. Another question: can I use the software that came with my Gateway on this new rig? I'm wondering about liscensing etc.

Thanks in advance..

Padre

legally, no (in most cases) when it comes to transferring software from 1 pc to another (in this case you're duplicating, not transferring).

Padre:

I just built/upgraded my system for the first time in early March.

First off, I can tell you that the Gateway CD will not let you load the OS onto a new mobo once you build it yourself. Pissed me off too, cause I argued with them that I paid for the rights to 1 copy of Win98 and now I can't use it.

Anyhow, I bought the Windows XP OS upgrade cause I had an old copy of Win95 laying around. If you buy the upgrade, it will ask to to verify that you own a valid copy of an older OS. All I had to do was insert the Win95 disk when it asked for it. Saved me a $100 on the OS alone!

Building the rig is not that hard. I've got some good links that you can use to help you through it. I bought an ASUS mobo and Athalon XP 2700+. I can say that I am quite happy with my system running FB, and I only have a 64Mb GF3 Ti500 video card.

Try searching http://www.tomshardware.com for reviews on mobos. You might want to get one with an nForce2 front side bus chipset. The models with the VIA chipsets seem to have capatibility problems sometimes.