WWGangster

Creating Missions - Help

I've been using the link that Natops posted a couple of months ago, trying to learn how to create missions.

One question for those in the know......

I cant seem to get my mission "Briefs" and "Descriptions" to show up. They are there when I have the file open in the FMB utility, but when I go to run it, they are not visible.

I have clicked "save" and "save as", but it still doesnt show up.

Is there something I am leaving out?

Not sure. New one to me.

After you save as, you should see two files saved in the folder you save to. A .mis file and a .prop file. Your description and brief should be in the .prop? file. Anyway you can open either of them in notepad, and should see text. If you try to edit either in notepad, it usually corupts them, and they wont show properly, or at all. You must do edits to either file by opening the saved mission in FMB.

Anyone else have an idea?

The weird thing is is that the mission plays fine, just that my text doesnt show up in the briefing or description.

I was thinking maybe its just a glitch, and I may need to re-install FB.....I have never re-installed it, and patched all the way thru.

I, personally, havent made a FMB mission since the install of 4.04m and PE2. Maybe its broken? Will try to do a FMB and report how it works for me.

/edited/

Two items here: Mission Description" is what you'll see when you're selecting the mission to host. It gives a short description of the main mission (something like: IL-2's over Kursk intercepted by 190's).

Mission Briefing is the text displayed to players once they join your server.

From a little blurb in the "Mission Builder's FAQ" at airWarfare.com:

How do i create briefings for different flights in coops?

You can have only one briefing per side.

and

(preface this with and have an instruction such as "Choose your aircraft and report back here for your briefing")
Within that framework you can write briefings with instructions to individual flights.

That's all in a sort of reversed order though. General briefing that all players in a co-op mission will see should be under the tag, like this:

<ARMY NONE>
Welcome to the Eastern Front, where the forces of ... blah, blah, blah... 

Please select an aircraft to fly and be sure to return to the briefing page for details on your mission. Good luck, and good hunting!
</ARMY>

Then you could add in specific mission data for each side, like this:

<ARMY BLUE>
The Luftwaffe's main goal here is to ... blah, blah, blah.
</ARMY>
<ARMY RED>
Gallant pilots of the Soviet Air Force, you have been tasked with ... blah, blah, blah.
</ARMY>

The whole thing as depicted in parts above:

Welcome to the Eastern Front, where the forces of ... blah, blah, blah...

Please select an aircraft to fly and be sure to return to the briefing page for details on your mission.

Good luck, and good hunting!

The Luftwaffe's main goal here is to ... blah, blah, blah.

Hals und Beinbruck!

Gallant pilots of the Soviet Air Force, you have been tasked with ... blah, blah, blah.

For The Motherland!
Edited by Guest

Are there any commands when you view the prop file? Those are used to only show the message to a certain team. Normally commands are not inserted by the FMB but have to be hand edited though. So is this a new mission from scratch or are you editing someone else's pre-made mission that may have commands that are now incorrect?

Once a file has been corrupted by improper editing it is often best to delete it manually restart the FMB and let it generate a new one.

Sample prop file with commands

Name Canal Boats
Short RAF Mustangs raid a German shipping facility on the canal.nn16 Mustang Mk IIIn4 FW190 D-9 1945n
Description nChoose your aircraft and check back here for your mission.n Today your target is the shipping facility on the canal at map grid C4.9. Expect heavy AAA so be sure to neutralize that first. Also expect the Germans to scramble fighters from nearby bases so do not loiter too long over the target area. Your primary target is shipping but also do as much damage as possible to the docks and industrial buildings in the area.nnThe first two flights are assigned to neutralize AAA while 3rd and 4th flight will attack the facility.nnnnBritish Strike aircraft have been spotted heading towards the shipping facility on the canal at map grid C4.9. Scramble and proceed at maximum speed to intercept. Due to critcally low fuel supplies your planes will only have a half tank of petrol. Be sure to use your speed to its best advantage, as you will be greatly outnumbered.nnnn

If you use notepad to edit do not use enter to start a new line use the "n"
Also the first three lines should start with:
Name xxxxxx
Short xxxxxx
Description xxxxxxxxx

You may notice that the prop file looks like it has carriage returns to start new lines after the "Name" and "Short" lines, but if you add them it will not appear correctly.

General briefing page before a side is chosen.
only visible to Commies, I mean Allies.
only available to Nazis, I mean Axis.
used after each section above like when using ubb code to insert an image.

General Briefing yada yadanKill all Nazi's.nKill all Commies!

Also be sure there are no spaces in the name of your mission files.

LOL Pete! :D

I like your description better though... I try to avoid editing the .properties file manually, since I always manage to screw it up. ;)

FMB works for me.

Unzip these 2 files into missionsnetcoop and see if you can read the mission name and brief.