Picked up a new sound card...

WWSensei

Old sound card gave up the ghost. Went to CompUSA to see about getting a replacement. Came across a display model of the Audigy XFi card. It was missing the DVD for the Demos of FEAR and BF2, but had the driver and application disks as well as the card. List price was $132 but the manager let me have it for $49 since the box was open.

Of course, I have to do the dance with IL2 to get sounds right again. It's working well enough but sound still seems "muffled". Teamspeak is also heavy on the bass so it makes it difficult to understand people clearly--like listening to a car stero with bass all the way up and treble all the way down. Need to tweak it for awhile.

Anyhoo, people said last night they could hear me clearer so so far so good...

Hi Sensei.

I surly hope they fixed all the problems that card has cracking mainly. there was a pertition on it as SB took some thing like 8+ months allready to fix. I had one but i sent it right back. MAYBE it worth another look let me know how you get on with it and whot games you play with it please.

I beleave there is at least a beta fix for that card today.

Must be a different model. Specifically, this one is the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic model. I haven't got all the IL2 settings worked out by in COD2 and Oblivion the sound and performance are tons better than the old card I had...

I wish I could help on the booming bass issue... My guess would be some EAX setting that is changing your listening environment to "auditorium" or soemthing like that.

A long time ago I nuked all the add-on software with my Audigy 2 card, using nothing but basic drivers. I might miss out on some effects, but my system isn't swamped with additional doo-dads to enhance sound, and make my game playing suffer.

IMy guess would be some EAX setting that is changing your listening environment to "auditorium" or soemthing like that.

I beleave Sandman is very right on this check control panel might be added there. They seem to tend to do that every so often change from normal to movie type sound OR worse.

Best of it i went back to my SBLive! still has that effect change time to time but works 100% though a amp.

I use an Audigy 2 ZS, paid 70 bucks for it OEM. Concerning the bass issue:

Go to control panel.
Click sounds, speech, and audio devices.
Click sounds and audio devices.
Under the header "device volume" click advanced.
Look for the header "play control" and click advanced.
Make sure it's not cranked up in there.

A long time ago I nuked all the add-on software with my Audigy 2 card, using nothing but basic drivers. I might miss out on some effects, but my system isn't swamped with additional doo-dads to enhance sound, and make my game playing suffer.

I did the same thing after reading your post SandMan. There were no fewer than 18 installed apps associated with the Audigy software package. I just left the drivers (which has a single console program) and all is good.