Skypat's updated Java for IL2:FB

S!

Way back in the early days of IL-2 (almost 18 months ago now!), this French fella Skypat came up with the idea that IL-2 would probably run better with properly updated Java runtime software, especially since the Java that Oleg and the boys were using was outdated... He posted his "BestDLL" patch on the French Check-6 website. At the time, it didn't really do a lot for me, but did make some of the stutters from teh early IL-2 versions go away.

Well, we're into a new game -IL-2: Forgotten Battles- and *still* Oleg and crew haven't tumbled to the idea that a properly updated Java runtime would help their game. Fortunately, Skypat has. Again.

I tested this latest version out tonight... without backing up anything so I knew if it porked my system I was in a for a complete re-install from scratch.

My current system isn't a slouch, but it's not exactly top of the line anymore either. Pentium4 2.26gig running at 2.35gig, 512mb DDR, GeForce4 Ti-4400 128mb, etc., etc. I run FB at 1024x768/32bit with all the detail cranked to the limit except for that "realistic" setting that makes the water shimmer. I get anywhere from 25-75 fps, with occasional bumps over 100 if I'm looking at the sky.

After installing the latest "BestDLL" patch, my frames went up incredibly... where I was getting 40, I'm now getting 70. Down low over a city with tanks and convoys and AAA and enemy fighters... 50.

It's amazing... I suggest you try this out. If you're nervous about it, then backup the "bin" and "lib" folders (and anything else this patch replaces), then go for it. The zip file is about 8.5mb or so. Extract it to your Forgotten Battles folder, with "recurse directories" or "use folder names" option turned on.

http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/downloadC6.php?ID=1196 is the direct link to the file.

I did this a few days ago and noticed no difference whatsoever. Good to hear it made some for you. I think the Java portion makes no difference and it is likely to be the MSVCRT.dll that is affecting vid card performance. It's likely to be very system specific as to whether it helps or not.

You have different vid cards, maybe the 9700pro handles images better. I have an P4 2.1gig and "old" GeForce 3 64mb ti200, at 220/460, I have most settings in the average range, 'cept detailed clouds and 1024x768 with AA to "let game decide", (probably off), and get 40-50 fps average in the cockpit. I will try the Java files and see what I get.

Howdy

The newer Java package is supposed to handle "garbage collection"
better. I guess garbage collection is the release of previously used memory.

I haven't tried the C6 deal yet. I did use a newer Java library.
FB didn't seem to work any better and it caused some other
system probs. I don't get the "stutters" that a lot seem to have.
My FPS lowers around city's and such.

S!
Weasel

I created a server, tried my modified coop 7 mission, (tanks N of city), and got 25 fps sitting on the runway no engine, to 38-40 frames climbing looking at the clouds and 50 fps swinging around and looking at the runway. Installed the new files, tried the same mission and didnt see any increase in frame rate. I will fly with them for awhile and see if I notice any better results.

One evident down side that both Plague and I noticed tonight, was that after running concurrent DF missions (Bard was hosting training), eventually the score-screen locked up necessitating a ctrl-alt-del and shut-down of FB. I was then able to re-join the server and fly again (without re-booting)... but it's highly suspect that the menu handling (the main Java stuff in the game, yes?) goes belly-up after only a couple "hot re-starts" of a mission.

Otherwise, I had a great time flying... never once (that I saw) did my FPS drop under 30. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">