Sign in to follow this  
WWSandMan

Panzer Elite Action : Dunes of War

Happy mentioned to me at Dayton that the single-player demo for this latest iteration of PEA was out... so I grabbed it to see how it played.

Dunes of War is set -duh- in the African desert. The demo only allows you to use the M4 Sherman, with main gun and co-axial machine-gun for armament. The rest is pretty much like the original PEA single-player demo.

The difficulty settings in this one have a dramatic effect on game play though, unlike the original demo. You can make it all the way to the port city and sink the German ships easily enough on "easy", but on medium the enemy tanks respawn at various locations in a never-ending stream. I camped out near one spawn location (close to a resupply bunker) and killed dozens of spawning German Panther tanks. Obviously this lost it's appeal quickly, but it's impossible to escape the re-spawning tanks and artillery. Ignoring the respawning enemy units results in being sandwiched between new targets ahead and old targets behind.

I haven't bothered trying it on "hard" setting, since I was not able to win on medium yet.

The demo can be gotten (without site registration) from Gamer's Hell, as well as several other mirrors. It weighs in at ~380mb, and extracts much larger. It took almost 20 minutes to install on my system, with constant delays from large files being virus-scanned.

Graphics and sound are comparable to the original PEA demo. There was nothing new that I noticed, other than a LOT more units involved.

As before, this isn't a sim but a simple shoot-em-up. Brainless fun plinking stuff, good (IMO) as a stress reliever.

Are there any good WW2 tank sims out there? One that accurately models the different positions with fidelity like IL2. WW2 Online did it pretty well for tanks, but I hate the pay to play format.

From what I read, the orig. Panzer Elite, (not this PEA) is still considered good. Ive never played it.

Watch out for the Serb/Croatian based tank sim, it has Starforce.

New(ish) info on Panxer Elite Action: It's released in the US under the title "First Battalion" (for whatever reason... different publisher I think).

Here's the home link for the DreamCatcher site where info on First Battalion can be found. Different name, exact same game as Panzer Elite Action.