Sign in to follow this  
Bard

WingWalkers Sierra Hotel Board

Obviously I need to survive more or something... plenty of kills but only a "2" for strike rate. Interesting bit of information though, thanks Bard.

OK, ... but what is "strike rate?"

The 'strike rate' figure is an average of all sorties where an A-A kill was scored.

That is a bit vague to me also, Natops. I know Bard went trolling through all the score sheets and derived his "strike rate" number from there. His purpose was to identify pilots who could use a little extra in-depth training on the fighter side of things. As long as he's happy with the results of his efforts and it's useful to him as the Fighter Training Officer, then I suppose we don't really need to be concerned with the actual table. Unless of course you're tagged for some additional training... which I'd happily volunteer to take anyway. Every flight I learn something new... whether about the aircraft I'm in, or the enemy I'm facing.

I don't see how perusing those files would tell him how many sorties a given pilot flew to obtain his air kills or if the kills were simply damaged enemy aircraft that landed and respawned, which shows on SturmoLog as an air kill. So the numbers are probably not completely accurate, but still serve as a reference to Bard for his identification of those who could use a little extra fighter instruction.

ok - an example may help.

if a player flew 10 missions, and shot down 8 aircraft in 4 of those ten missions, his strike rate is 8/4 = 2.

it's about the only sort of compilation of data that would indicate anything of use as there's neither the detail in the reports or data to allow for anything better.

basically the same 'strike rate' idea was used in ww2.

I see... and, oddly enough, it makes sense. There's a lot of variables involved that don't make it into the numbers though... and I'm sure tail-gunner kills get counted in too, which can skew the numbers a bit.

Actually I think the MLR records would be better suited, since every pilot's individual sorties can be looked at in detail. I'll see what I can do to bring all those back to life for future reference.

rgr, that's why a strike rate with a low number of kills isn't really a good indicator.

The more kills a player has, the higher the accuracy of the strike rate is going to be - though it will never be perfect (unless that player never flies bombers).

When sorted by kills the relative positioning doesn't change much.