Company of Heroes

WWCephas

Anyone else playing this? It's an amazing game espec ially if you can turn the eye candy up. I still only have the demo but have played it on skirmish mode probably 20 times already, it is a very good rts without too much worry about resource gathering.

The ai is very good most of the time although the computer can be a bit annoying by being prescient. For instance when I select throw a grenade at an emeny troop unit they run before the guy even has a chance to toss the grenade where I indicated, if I was playing with a live player they would not have a chance to react until it was thrown. Also the AI units like artillery spotters and snipers seem to be able to run away 2x as fast as my own units, outrunning a chasing halftrack even. Still it is a very, very good game and I would love to play HtH with somebody.

Bard and I just finished an online session, he whooped me pretty good in a HtH and then we teamed up vs the computer and fought an epic 1.5 hour battle that had the computer pushing us back into a narrow defensive perimeter which we loaded with as many artillery guns and mg nests as possible to fend them off as wave after wave of the enemy crashed against our line. After each wave I tried to extend my line out a bit farther until with Bard attacking on the right and myself on the left we started to break through and then the tide of battle shifted and we started steamrolling the enemy (Germans). Bard scored the victory with a spearhead to take out their command post while I was busy taking ground objectives to deny the enemy resources.

Not a pretty battle (strategically) but lots of fun. Would be great to get more of our fellow WW's in on the action. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_wink.gif&key=940dab18e6395dabf49383a0bb376331df53e6f1880bab3f9e4e80745a8cc9ca"> I was not aware before today that you can have teamplay on some of the maps with multiple people. Our skill level is still pretty low still so if you join in soon you won't be far behind in learning this game.

My friend and I played this game quite a bit up til a week or so ago. He kept getting angry that the gerries kept creeping into his base and then unleashing a giant storm of destruction (and later the destruction of me, because he was always my left or right flank and we depended on each other to defend). He's a HUGE C&C/Zero Hour fan, and he is still in the mindset that you don't really need to build defenses, because you can build enough units to defend if the enemy did make it past your super duper tank force.

Of course he learned a hard lesson when those buggers pushed him back, repeatedly, and destroyed his entire base, super duper tank force and all. Then he stopped playing out of frustration :lol: .

Still looking for someone to play it with. We normally did it on Hamachi or on his LAN for various reasons, but if I had someone to play with that didn't try and rush rush rush (C&C style), I would definitely think about dropping some coin on it. Shoot me a line if you'd be interested. Thanks!

-Auto+SD (asrock's friend)

the first game was more a case of me being familiar with the game's mechanisms and cephas not.

the second game we were getting soundly whupped. Snipers and anti-tank guns saved the day enough to start taking small pieces of the map back.

i needed to try and stop the flow of enemy armour, and after one failed attempt with a couple of tanks to close a bottle neck i managed to leapfrog a lot of anti-tank guns plus a light vehicle and a sniper all the way and cut them off while cephas dealt with the substantial force that was already in the battle area.

the enemy tried to flood us so when i got to their base it was a simple case of rolling up the flanks.

thought we were goners.

Oh yeah, definitely. The last game we played was really intense. Our bases were heavily fortified (mine especially, because I play every RTS session out as long as possible, so I build up some nasty defenses and slowly, but surely, build my assault force while the enemy wastes resources attacking), and we had a nice bunch of rifleman squads, snipers/spotters and several ranger squads in the field, and a whole lot of the anti-tank artillery. Things were looking peachy, and after 3 hours we were finally reclaiming, and more importantly HOLDING, resources. I moved up several mortar squads to every resource point, a sniper behind it, movable MG nests and plenty of barbed wire/tank traps/mines placed by my courageous engineers.

Then it happened.

I saw, coming out of the mist about 200 yards down the road, a panzer IV. 2 emerged, 3, 5, soon 12 panzer IVs were barreling down the road like an unstoppable juggernaut. Needless to say, with no AT in the field that could move around and get rear armor shots, my men were as good as dead. And they were... that AI isn't dumb-- it sent a few tanks around every side, got my men boxed in and it was a turkey shoot from there. I put my engineers in my base to laying mines Mines MINES. My base was looking alright, the lines were being held, until those blasted Germans started sending those little robot things into my friend's base. They would park themselves by a tank barricade and then, once shot up, BOOM. There they go, but more important, there goes the surrounding mines/tank barricades because (apparently?) they are rigged with explosives. (Couldn't tell ya, I have never played germany in that game)

They broke through his line with ease. Since our bases were conjoined, they simply waltzed right to mine and started helping themselves to all my hard work.

Man that game is fun. :lol:

You guys are making this game sound alot more fun then I probably would find it.

I love war strategy games more than anything- BUT- I really hate rts click fests- My mind and hands do not work in tandem very well for these kinds of things..
I used to play rise of nations online with a friend of mine- and he started getting a bit ticked when i kept hitting the pause key to keep up with things...
DOH!

is this title as fast paced as most real time strats?

At well over 1gb in size, I doubt anyone has the day or so to upload the demo locally. At least I don't.... 768kb upload of a 1+gb file ... Nahh. FedEx'ing a DVD would be faster. ;)

FWIW... I don't much care for the demo. Cephas mentioned earlier in this thread some issues with the speed of enemy advance being a bit much. I concur. I barely got rifle squads out when enemy tanks showed up. Not much of a fight there. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

The graphics are nice though. Great explosion and movement detail. Even troops idling do the usual things... scratch butts, furtively look around, etc.

My machine is too low-end these days to consider buying the full game soon, however. After I upgrade, then it may be worth while for me.

COH- received awesome review scores... 94% average-
still an rts and I know what happens to replay value for me..
going to pass for now and focus on mtw2--

Can't wait for your upgrade Sandman...

Mines probably running about average specs these days But it's holding its own for now.

Great game Bard, see-sawed back and forth for a while, thought I was done for when I finally got enough resources to bring in a Pershing and drive you out of my base. Engineers are worth their weight in gold. I would not mind those little Goliath RC demolition units so much if they were restricted to LOS use though.

You probably would have won if we both understood that game mode requires you to destroy the bunkers too.

S!

hehe, i was having a little party in your base /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> that pershing showed up right in time to really turn the battle.

I am still unclear what is required and what isn't - do you need to take out the little fortifications that are on capture points too?