Need Home Networking 101 advice

WWSandMan

So I got a new computer, my wife has a new laptop and my daughter will soon have one as well. Wireless home network, with my desktop wired (gb lan) and the two laptops feeding wireless-ly off a D-Link DGL-4300 router (802.11b/g at 54mb/s).

My quandry: file and printer sharing. It just ain't working, despite having followed the various guides and wizards several times over. The laptop can connect to the internet through the router, but cannot access shared files/folders/printers of the desktop.

This one ought to be simple, I just can't find the answer. Suggestions?

you probley did this allready. but each computer has to have a name,and needs to be in the same work group. use this config (This computer connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub.) To enable file and printer sharing, open Windows Firewall in Control Panel, click the Exceptions tab, and then select File and Printer Sharing.

A computer name identifies your computer on the network. To participate in the network, each computer must have a unique name. If two computers have the same name, it creates a conflict for network communications. When choosing a computer name, it is suggested you keep it short and simple, such as family or den.

Some Internet service providers (ISPs) require that you use a specific computer name. The computer name identifies the computer to the ISP's network and is used to validate your Internet account. Check with your ISP to see if they require a specific computer name. If so, do not change the computer name provided by your ISP.

The computer name is limited to fifteen characters and cannot contain spaces or any of the following special characters:
; : " < > * + = | ? ,

The computer description is a short explanation of the computer. For example, if you have a computer in your family room, the description could be "family room computer." If your network is a combination of Windows operating systems, such as Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows 98, the computer description is only displayed on Windows XP.

Related Topics

Talk about timing, I've got exactly the same problem. My first ever networking try. Bought a D-Link 5 port open switch, hooked everything up, ran the network wizard on both PC's. The network is there and operating. Can connect IL-2 in a lan game and the old pc can access the internet through the modem connection on the new one. But, Just like SandMan no file sharing. Does the network wizard set up the work group or do I somehow have to make one? The network name HOME shows on windows explorers My Network Places, but when I click on it I get a you do not have access, see the network administrator. And No Server List available error. Think I might be missing a step but can't figure out what it is.

Are they in the same workgroup? Firewalls allowing local IP addresses?

Yes and yes.

... each computer has to have a name,and needs to be in the same work group ...

Already set with individual computer names and a work group.

Some Internet service providers (ISPs) require that you use a specific computer name.

Not an issue with my ISP; they configure internet access by http log-in to their service. I'm guessing it's got something to do with MAC address... as long as one verified machine is on the network, any others can connect through it's connection. Add a new machine and re-boot the DSL modem, then you have to supply username/password again.

Got mine fixed. I think it was setting up trusted places in NIS firewall networking tab. Hope yours turn out this simple Sandy.

I hoped it would that simple too... but it isn't.

Some symptoms:

• the laptop can access the net via either wired or wireless connection through the router

the desktop has no problem connecting to the net through the router.

"file sharing" is enabled on both machines, with only the "shared documents" folder on each machine being shared.

Printer connected to the desktop is specified as being shared

laptop cannot see the desktop and vice-versa; desktop cannot see the laptop.

both machines are running Win XP Pro SP2, fully updated (over 70 MS updates to each, right out of the box /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4"> ... MS IE7 sucks, Firefox 2.0 is much better, but I digress... )

both machines show in the DHCP client list on the router, each with it's own IP

router is using WPA Personal mode encryption for wireless authentication

I could go on... but I'm pretty sure I missed something simple. I used the MS networking wizard to create a file to use for setting up other machines (on a flash drive), and I think something in that setup is wrong. but that's just a guess. Tried doing it manually as well, no joy.

This is really starting to bug me... especially since I want the two new machines cooperating before I bring my decrepit old desktop into the mix. And of course that one's got all my goodies on it.

What firewall are you using Sandy? This sounds exactly like what I had happen with the home network. I had to go into ZoneAlarm and set up a "Trusted Zone" with a range of IP addresses that were allowed. I had to do this on each computer.
When I went from Linksys to D-Link I had to change the IP Range one of the numbers changed (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 had to be changed to 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 to accomadate the D-Link router.)

Otherwise, I could access the internet from each computer but I could not see the other computers on the network - nor the printer that I was sharing. Setting up the Trusted Zone allowed all the computers to show up. The firewall was a little too efficient.

NIS 2006 is what the new machines came equipped with. I'm sort of in a quandry though... I have NIS 2007 (with licenses for two more machines) on my old desktop with a 12 month subscription (11 remaining). The new machines came with NIS 2006, but with an 18 month subscription. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_rolleyes.gif&key=1e8c06ab12fb541f5359109fc2a9aa78454b8063e7aa8862e992af3163d7b4b4">

Anyway... I knew it was something friggin stupid and easy.

Guest account = ON. Then net guests from home network (properly authenticated through router), can connect quite easily and share files, printers, etc. #-o

/edit/

Disregard the garbage in little letters... I FUBAR'ed the firewall... but all *is* well now.

Seems I patted myself on the back a bit early. have one way file sharing now. Can access shared folders on the new pc from the old one but when I try to access the old one from the new one I get an error //pc not accessable, you might not have permission to use the resource. Contact the administrator. :Logon failure. the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. Doesn't seem to be security related as I've turned off NIS and it firewall on that system. I think maybe there might be something I need to do in administion on the old pc but can't see why it works one way and not the other.

This will be fun... I'm just now getting the "model T" hooked into the network the new Ferrari's are on. :P I'm expecting more issues to arise.

for what it's worth, I have IL-2/PF loaded and operational, along with TS and HL. You know... the important stuff. ;)

@ Sensei: Well, since both hardware and software firewalls seem to be cooperating, I'll let them stand. What's going to be fun is finding my way through NIS2007's completely different interface (on the old PC) to open the appropriate IP's.

@ 8Ball: Sounds like the firewall thing... try running the firewall wizard on the old one and have it allow PC's in the same IP range access to it. Sounds like the new one is opened correctly, but the old one isn't.

I'd be surprised if you have to do anything special with NIS2007. It's far more "intelligent" than previous versions. I've yet to have to configure anything for file sharing, ftp servers or any of the various internet enabled games/applications etc. Not a single pop up box.

One thing to remember is that if you've disabled things like NetBIOS etc then name resolution via a workgroup or computer name won't work. You can still bring up a machine's shares via the //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address reference. Since I don't run any of the WINs or NetBIOS stuff that's what I do.

I've got to keep things simple for the others on my home network, so logging in via \name has to stay.

I've noticed that I have to use username and login to access my old PC's shares, but not to access the shares on either of the new machines. Maybe because the old one has several user profiles, and the new ones only have one each? (login still required on boot-up on the new ones)

I've discovered that MAC address filtering works great. A friend stopped by and tried to access my home network wirelessly... didn't work at all until I allowed his machine's MAC address access. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/thumbsup.gif&key=740950605ea2b767b0522526afb1c81551f03118b6b4457f095c43ae8aab1fd4"> I'm not sure if it works too well however, as I haven't tried hosting any games yet. I was able to play online (IL-2) last night, so that's a good sign.

Sandy this will fix you screen problems. save you r old config befor you use this one.
[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=0
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=1
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0