Sign in to follow this  
II./JG1_Krupinski

got an old server and i don't know where to begin

Are the drives in a SCA caddy? If so they are hot swappable and id's are controlled from the backplane they plug into.

Your best place is to find the website for the server you have and take a look through the tech specs. You're going to have a steep learning curve though.

Thanks Bard, yeah I thought of that too - come to find out VA Linux has been out of business for several years. LOL. Can't complain I had to force the guy to take a few bucks for this box.

At any rate I found my problems. First, nothing was wrong with the SCSI subsystem - it's running like a champ. However, I couldn't get the floppy and the CD rom drive to even power up. Come to find out, there is a 3 inch power jumper that is missing. Bad thing about this thing is that it has male plugs on both ends. sheesh.

Next step is to buy a Y cable and that should have power on both the male ends.

-Raven

ok, once you do that your next potential issue is that any drives on that adapter may not be recognised by your OS installer - find out what card it has and grab its drivers. If you're going to put in a windows OS you'll want to extract those files onto a floppy and during install when is says 'press f6 to install third party drivers' (or some such) press the button and follow the instructions.