Sign in to follow this  
WWTharn

UM -MECHWARRIOR 4!!! for free!

got my joystick controls settled a bit- and i have to say- the at1 program that they have out right now is an interesting sim-
I remember mw 2 and 4 being more arcady.... this isnt that easy/// and thats good.
if you ever played a turn based mech game before you know that terrain and speed has a huge impact on how accurate you are.
this really takes that into account- no fps pointing with the mouse.. your reticle moves with every bump..
what a nifty program- cant wait for the mek 4 release and better yet cant wait for mw 3015...
of course this isnt turn based-its a mech sim..

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/stirthepot.gif&key=4518d7536b538a93a8652878466641b1661267aa6dfc4b2d2675b52b13de37de">

I'm one of those that will be sorely tempted to debate whether any 'mech warrior' game can rightly be called a simulation. A simulation to me being defined as a virtual representation of a real-world event or artifact. Mech warrior games are at the very least a highly detailed science fiction; lots of real world environment, atmosphere and physics, but with that futuristic bit of fiction tossed into an otherwise believable mix. Which is of course why I'm a fan of good (and not so good) sci-fi in the first place.

Mech Warrior is good science fiction. But a simulation? Err... ummm... maybe not so much.

Yet.

But for free, I'll jump on the bandwagon and give it a try. Got links?

I can understand where your point is coming from Sandman.
But I'm putting this in the sense of computer games- you have arcade games and simulations.
Where the fps unreal tournament is an arcade game- arma tries to be a simulation..
same go's for the old cinemaware classic ww1 (arcade) game on the Amiga which was awesome btw- Rise of flight tries to be more of a simulation.
So they dont have mechs 'yet- but some day they will probably have something close...lol
and yet- I'd rather drive one with a simulation difficulty than an arcady difficulty...
first thing is first though-- the reason why were all fired up in the first place..
check out this video of the next version of mechwarrior-)(mech warrior 3015- this, they are trying to make as close to a simulation as possible..
and that is what its all about for us I think.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-mechwarrior/52619

after watching this about 5 times and pausing screens- I can tell they are really putting in that 'tank' simulation feel.
anyway just watch and try not to get fired up.

http://www.piranha-games.com/MechWarrior.html <--- is the company trying to pull this off

for the free release of mech warrior 4 go here:

http://www.mektek.net/projects/at1/promo/

you get it through mektek X program-

mech 4 isnt available just yet- but you'll need there client to install it when it is...
right now they have 'assault tek 1 battletech' available. its not too bad- go out and duke it out with other meks- up to 20 meks or more I think. on teams..
so if you can install that and run it (178 megs) then you should have no problem for mech 4 when its here- Id say by the end of next week at the latest.

Cool, thanks Tharn. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">