More messing about in Photoshop...

WWChunk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well, I have been working in Photoshop too...a bit different
1479044377_Portraitbackdrop.thumb.jpg.024d6f2e4513bef5a9ac1ce0581fe88c.jpg

but it started as this.
2113254442_VintageMantle.thumb.jpg.8b757d0779ec6110fe460393a885df89.jpg

Why? Am trying to set up the background for a "group photo" for the characters from The Blue Max. Am stealing characters from a few vintage photos of pilots at a christmas party, that looks like this
Group3.jpg.8c1ec9a996aff38dcab96635b0e77ce2.jpg

Work in progress!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Morning Geezer!

I usually spend about 20-30 minutes on a screenshot I really like, and want to edit then post here or elsewhere. I'm flying in all sims at my monitors native resolution, which is 2560x1440. I then used FRAPS to capture screenshots, and they are saved as BMP files. The biggest thing for me is taking a LOT of screenshots during a flight, and then getting lucky every now and then. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_e_wink.gif&key=49c7bc4bebefb3c576578d12c8a6bba67b170764aca0dbd2cc764154596e0154">

For this last shot, I was in a Fokker D.VII, fighting against a SPAD 13.C1. I got in real close and oiled him relatively quickly, and we were only 500 meters off the ground. So I pulled up, leveled off, then changed the view to his external view. As he approached the ground, I started hammering the screenshot key, and actually took 22 shots from right before impact, through the explosion, etc. This was the coolest looking one, IMO.

I have the Adobe Photography subscription, with both Photoshop and Lightroom. I start in Photoshop, and I play around with color, tone, and contrast. I worked at a photo lab in the mid-90's so my eye is pretty decent at looking for certain color/tone corrections; but a lot of the edits I make are geared towards the look I'm going for at that moment of the edit. I then use the diffuse glow filter, as that makes things pop, and I almost always use the smart sharpen tool, and play around with those settings pretty extensively. I then save the shot as a JPG.

Next, I import it into Lightroom. I really, really like Lightroom for all of the preset edits they give you in their library. For this shot, I used a setting called "punch," and hell if I can remember the other two! The cool thing about Lightroom is that I don't need layers, and I can easily step back or step forward with the edits that I'm making. I don't have the original shot from this last edit, but next time I do a significant edit, I'll include the original with it.

Thanks for the interest in it. I'm not very good at it, but I can make them look the way I like them to look, and they make really good desktop backgrounds.

I was going to say sharpen, saturation, and "film grain" filter. Good stuff there, Chunk!

One of the things I do is try to remember to turn on the flight recorder. This will allow you to visit an revisit specific portions of a flight, pausing when you've got the scene you are looking for, and then using the camera pans/zooms to get the exact shot you are looking for. Once there, press the screen capture key and, voila! you've the perfect shot to 'port into Photoshop for more editing fun.

You're right about that Dub, I should be recording all flights. Not only for the screenshot opportunities, but because cool shit happens when you least expect it. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_e_wink.gif&key=49c7bc4bebefb3c576578d12c8a6bba67b170764aca0dbd2cc764154596e0154">

That raises a question....is the quality of the bmp file the same if,you save the screenshot in flight versus making a recording and than saving one? My first thought is it is the same. Never used bmp files, are they considered higher quality than the other choices. I am with Dub, much better hunting for the view you didn't know existed from the recording. You find some treasures that way.

Definitely post the before and after, you might convince me to buy the subscription ( I don't know what Lightroom is even).

BMP quality is the same in game as it is in recording. Recording just alows you to compse the frame-setting before snapping the shot. And yes, BMP is better quality vs JPG as it doesn't use compression to reduce pixel count and number of colors.

• 1 month later...

Here are three renditions of a screenshot I took from one of my RoF career campaigns.

Original - Converted from a BMP file to a JPG file:

RoF13.jpg

After some minor editing in Photoshop CC:

RoF14.jpg

Finally, some touch up work in Lightroom:

RoF15.jpg

I did not write down all of the edits that I did, but a few of them are Lightroom presets, in addition to the manual color/exposure/highlight edits that I added.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae"> /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_biggrin.gif&key=64cd7b7a0036899205810ec0a5b90ed7121d5889dd92733089c47c9758b7f4ae">

It's 99 dollars a year and you get the latest version of Photoshop CC and Lightroom..