So I responded to an ad for a Bass player...

WWBayonet

Text reads

"Have you ever played a bass guitar?
Do you know what a bass guitar looks like?
Ok - Do you know how to spell "bass guitar"?

If you answered 'yes' to any of the above questions, you need to get in touch with us.

Reply to this Ad for a chance to play some classic rock and blues.
Do NOTreply to this Ad if you're a guitarist, singer or drummer - we already have too many of those. We're looking for a bass player.

If you're a bass player who can sing - that's even better.
You should call us if you can play keyboards, too. We're looking for a keyboardist, too.
But, we'd really like to find a bass player first.
If you can play bass on keys, that would be ok for a while, but we'll still be looking for a bass player.

So, Bass Player? Call us.
Keyboardist? Call us.
Anything else? Don't call us.

Do you know a bass player? Call us.
Is your boy/girlfriend a bass player? Call us.
If you saw someone with, what looks like a bass guitar? Don' t call us - if you're not sure what a bass guitar looks like (see photo)."

We chatted via email and it turns out they really low-balled the ad. They're a bunch of 40-ish guys who have been playing together since University. He did give me a 10 song setlist to work on, and an open invitation to audition, whenever I felt ready. I need a garage band that sucks. I do have an offer to play along at my local Legion's "Friday Night Jam" from 6-8 pm. Old Country tunes, Hank Snow etc. I work with a couple of them and have met others while at the Legion. I have no gripes about the music, it's that their Jam Session has evolved into a Grand Ole Opry with attendance pushing 70 in the 70-80 yr old age group. It's a nice Seniors' Friday Night Dance. And I don't want to break it. I'll have to see if they ever rehearse, and do a couple months of rehearsals first.

And...?

You playing at the Grand Ole Opry yet? Nashville here he comes! /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/icon_weee.gif&key=ec75657588bc2e03edcbe7a61cb8a4d99ec632a87416777e96410d4947f95f6f">

• 1 month later...

So I did my first gig tonight. It was the first time I had ever interacted with other musicians. Ever. In a live setting. It was at my Local Legion as a part of a "Jam session" band consisting of 5 electric acoustics, an accordion, and myself on Bass performing very old C+W and Newfie jigs. The crowd of 40-50 seniors greatly appreciated our "performance". I surprised both myself and a couple of friends in the audience who said I did very well. A couple of widows asked if I would be back next Friday, so groupies are a go! Luckily, so did the band. Thank you Rocksmith Session Mode for teaching me Root Scales. I knew none of the songs but was able to jump in with a "waltz beat" that fit well thanks to having played session mode and understanding the scale patterns. Apparently, the road to being a Bass Metal God often takes unlikely paths.

Congrats on a successful opening gig, Bayo. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=%7BSMILIES_PATH%7D/toast.gif&key=f562d31034c7cf7ca2012f6cbe0726d9d6a712935f921e6eef253e7b87fa9916">

You live anywhere close to Tharn? Could not find the video he posted on our forum of one of his gigs as a guitarist.