BOS Mission Building Challenge for 2017!

WWGeezer

I have been musing about this for awhile. The good part about the Co-ops we are flying right now is they have simple goals, waypoints, AI bad guys and work well for leaning the sim.The bad part is we fly in isolation, not mixing with the rest of the community, not attracting other "play-friends"
Vander's " Day on the Front" missions are a solution to that problem, really an Open Server Co-op. The mission programming is so dense that it would bring the mission builder to his knees.

So the challenge for 2017 is to tweak the Tangmere Co-op missions to create an Open Server version that would be fun to fly but welcome others to randomly join.

Here are my thoughts

1. Add OpFor base, far away like ours at "Mission Start"

2. Have Respawn base on both sides close to action that only open once the CO-OP side reaches its mission waypoint where the action is. Allows those who come late or crash early to stay engaged.

3. Mission will be written around the Co-op Side with waypoints, goals and AI, but won't be viewable by the OpFor Side.

4. OpFor mission goals will have their own icons that lead them to patrol the area where we are going to make sure they find us.

5. Adjust subtitles to not give away exactly what is happening, but give good hints.

6. Likely will leave Icons on, but you have the option to turn them off

I really like how Vander's mission style that launches a new mission every half hour, but his structure is made to go for hours. Right now we dutifully fly the mission until we get to the target and than it turns into a cluster foof because its fun. ( The Respawn bases help ) But maybe we just try to build in two sorte's so a second scenario launches at some point. Respawn bases close, new waypoints and new goal. Could even tie it to the flight leaders. Might force us to run the mission, get back, regroup and run another with a different plane sets

Anyway, open for comment, posting on both sites to get input. Kind of a long term project, but if it works might be able to just keep tweaking the scenarios and reusing the mission.

Sounds great Geezer!

I like the respawn base idea, and target markers on the map are great for keeping the flight focused on a goal.

With mission goal map markers, once in a while maybe we could run no icons and practice spotting and ID.
Online wars we might partake in with other squadrons may be set to no icons, and with practice we would be comfortable with that scenario.
I've run icons-off in some of our icons-on BoS nights, and it doesn't really sync with icons-on pilots.
On that note, anyone who wants to run Complex Engine Management can switch it on even if the host has it set to simple.

Love that you're willing and able to use the mission editor Geezer, thank you for past and future missions!

First thing that comes to mind would be everyone chip in, buy Fawlty the game, and hope for the best...

I really wish I had a suggestion for what makes a successful mission(s), but I don't.

I will say the last one we flew, (the one that had the icons on/icons off option) was a lot of fun. Not a steady stream of action, but enough to keep my busy.

Sometimes I think it is more about the people than the mission. A loose framework with disciplined flyers on both sides, doesn't need lots of mission logic to be interesting. Big goal for 2017 is to open up the server and see if we can attract some other flyers who don't want to fly in an 80 person Russian Cluster foof Server!