Flying Circus

Do not mind stating for the record, I am extremely pissed about flying circus. Most of us spent well over 400.00 bucks on ROF, and to have 777 telling us we have to buy the new and improved version really rubs me the wrong way. But that's just me. ROF was just fine the way it was.

But for those who feel compelled, we do get a whooping 15 bucks off....that is if you bought it all 5 years ago....(???????????????)

Anyone who purchased content for ROF between it’s launch in 2009 to Jan. 1, 2013 from our website or a boxed or digital copy from an official retail partners (Excluding STEAM. ROF was not available on STEAM during this period) during that time frame will receive an additional discount.

If you spent between $0.01 and $70.99 you will receive an additional $5 OFF.

If you spent between $71.00 and $200.99 you will receive an additional $10 OFF.

If you spent greater than $201.00 you will receive an additional $15 OFF.

The special discount period ends September 15, 2018.

It's bittersweet, but RoF was taken as far as it could on that engine, and it's almost ten years old. I bought flying circus for the VR aspect, and because it's going to be a substantial update of what we have. Yes, it's going to cost money, but it's the same scheme as IL-2: BoX is running, so I figured this is what would happen. I still enjoy RoF and I'll continue to play it when the opportunity arises.

I dunno, not quite as upset about it as you are, Duck, but I get your sentiment.

However, if you purchase within the next 6 weeks, that retail $80 release becomes (potentially) a $55 release. For $55, you get an updated game-engine, single point of game access, 4k resolution skins, updated flight/damage modeling, and resurgence of active developer support.

What's got me in a slight tizzy is there are THREE releases to think about purchasing this year... FC, TC, and Bodenplatte. Since I'm not a tanker kind of guy, I only need to fret over the two others, but I am also in serious need of new flying kit; My HoTaS, rudders, and TrackIR are beginning to fail intermittently, and I want to get VR at some point in the next couple of years. Decisions, decisions!

Well, I sure wouldn't mind flying around with any of you guys in these old crates in the IL2 universe. The videos I've watched look good. It may not be much different from RoF, for all I know. But I'm finding it tempting...

Even though I was a WoT addict for several years, and still play War Thunder a bit, I'm going to hold off on Tank Crew. I really like the idea of being able to drive inside the tanks (rather than move them around third person), but I'm not sure there's a real use for them or even much to do with them in MP or SP.

The devs have stated that they could not take RoF into this current generation/engine without completely rebuilding it. I understand being chuffed at paying for everything in RoF, but is everyone seriously pissed that they have to pay for Flying Circus? I mean, this is how business works. If they just ported it over into the new line of games, I’d be super pissed having to pay for it as well, but I don’t think I’d classify this new sim as a money grab.

If I’ve missed something as far as what they’re selling FC as, please feel free to rake me over the coals...

Edited by Guest

Well, I don’t know, of course, but I tend to believe Jason when he says creating FC in the IL2 universe requires significant development resources. The planes may look the same, and I’m sure having developed them for RoF gives them a leg up over starting from scratch. But when did we start with RoF? 2011? Earlier?

I'm happy to get 7-9 years out of my fridge or laundry machines. I don’t expect to get new ones that look like them for free because I already paid a lot. Same with cars or just about anything else. I enjoy eating out and almost always buy the same entree at my favorite restaurant. I don’t complain about paying each time even though it’s the same food.

I feel like I’ve gotten my money's worth out of RoF. We had some fantastic times in that sim thanks in particular to Duck and Fawlty.

I miss flying those crates with my friends. I’m hoping everyone will eventually get FC and we can have fun with them again. I'm going to buy FC and use my discount while it’s available. Probably next month, after I recover from how much the vacation cost and the unexpected bill from the IRS because of a math error on my part. Yikes.

I've kicked this around a bit, and if FC is going to be the WW1 aerial combat sim going forward, then, yes, I'm in. WW's began as a WW1 sim squadron, I feel it would be a kick in the teeth to the founders to not be flying the latest WW1 sim. And kicking JG1's butt in the process.

*Waits for the loud guffaws from any old-time JG1 member*

I'll start a new Flying Circus forum area so that stuff directly related to that sim can be discussed in it's own area. I'm sort of excited about new goodies, even if it means we gotta re-buy all the stuff. That bites, but if it means the developers keep developing, we win in the end.

An interesting thread. Duck, I feel your pain. What I really wish they would do is invest time in improving the sophistication of the AI in ROF.

The more interesting question is assuming both Il2 and FC are vibrant how will it effect the squad. In the past Old Il2 and ROF struggled to co-exist. I know for me that it was a big transition to get to the point that I enjoyed flying WW2 birds. Flying two sims, rotating nights sometime split the squad up.

I think it will be different this time because we all cut our teeth getting used to BOS, I think FC will be like an ROF reunion. If they all exist in the same game than everyone is familiar with the interface and the mission format. I guess we will see.

Money grab? To be honest Jason didn’t hit me as a rich guy. One dude, two or three fan boy volunteers, trying to run a business that primarily lives in Russia. I think his biggest risk right now is three platforms being developed at the same time. Will be suprised if all three get supported enough to survive. If I were him, I would have pushed all the way to the Midway with BOS and than roll back to Flying Circus. I suppose he is afraid that he will lose the ROF fans if he goes that long.

Interesting stuff

FYI:

To get your special discount you’ll need to access your ROF user account on the ROF website and retrieve a promo code we have placed in your user profile. Then return to the IL-2 website and place your order for Flying Circus. Enter your discount code at check out. The additional discount will be reflected in the final amount.

Find the promo code here (after logging into the RoF web site) : https://riseofflight.com/store/il2_promo_code/

Add the code to your shopping cart at il2sturmovik.com

I got the full $15 off, plus the early promo $10 off. So the $80 price tag resulted in a $55 cost. I'll take that ... as long as my V-Tail Bonanza from A2A doesn't come out this week.

Hummm.... I have watched several YouTube videos and to be honest, I really have a hard time seeing the difference in the game. It's like a port over. I like Duck do have ruffled feathers (pun totally intended) about the new cost for the same game. So is ROF going away when FC comes along, how is that going to work? And where are they selling the digital copy of it? I have searched for it, but found nothing.

Yo NG....how is life?

You think you will be flying in the future?

Still trying to figure out what FC will be. Suppose the biggest benefit will be one game with two platforms. Good for mission builders

Will have to invest to at least fly the thing to see how it looks and feels

Thx Guys, Well I could not pass up on a deal so I got FC and BoS. Life is better after leaving the Detective Bureau. Started a nice little M-F job at City Hall making sure some ALT whichever does not try to knock the Mayor off at work. That should take me through to retirement LOL.....

I will need some help as far as the new loading program IL2 has. Had to kill it with task manager after 8 hrs last night "Shutting Down background, please wait" message. As well as what to do with the old programs on my system. i.e. what I can clear off of it. Thx for your time.....

PS After last nights mouse and keyboard test flights, I am either a prodigy combat pilot, or IL2's AI and normal settings were made to train the Costa Rica air force. :doh: I'm leaning toward the later.....