Taxi Points

Since I spent half the day watching AI taxi, I guess I should share what I found. In the COOP's it is pretty important that all the aircraft take off because if they don't you may have no one to fly against. I was testing Mission 1 and 2 from the Russian point of view and what I found was the Allied Bombers were not taking off.

Each airfield has a taxing pathway, and it has editable points labelled as "Park, Taxi and VPP" . The lead aircraft when given the command to take off, taxi's out to the Park point, sits for a moment and than moves forward thru the taxi point to the VPP. The minute it hits the Park point, the second aircraft starts to roll out. The other two just sit, but once the second aircraft hits the Park point than both aircraft 2 and 3 start rolling at the same time. Once the Lead aircraft gets to the VPP, it waits for everyone to get into position and they clearly have assigned seating.

What I ran into on the bombers is if you made the distance between Park and VPP to short, the last two aircraft never got into position and the bombers never took off. I am sure this is tied to the chat messages that say "White Flight requests permission to take off", or "White flight ready to take off".

Basically if I gave them enough room, they all took off. It is a bit random. You will see some strange aircraft placement, because it is very common for Aircraft 2 and 3 to get hung up and crash, so I have been spreading them apart.

Okay that's it. Random mission building crap that is why mission building is so maddening and kinda cool at the same time. Mainly trying to get the WWCOOP's to run clean and shiney.

(I hear there is bad weather ahead, you better get your big boy pants on for Mission 5 and 6 )

I have not done much with taxi points for obvious reasons. Have to admit, it is pretty cool to watch them do what you tell them thou.

In the one mission I did use them, I had to move the second vpp (the command land point) way up to the end of the runway to get the planes to do what I wanted them to do. Now admittedly, I did not watch to see what happens when they tried to land...that could have been a disaster considering where I placed the vpp. And messed up the pic, and am not going to redo it....point 4 in the pic should say 3,,,and point 5 in the pic should say 4...

[attachment=0]Taxi.jpg[/attachment]

And glad you reminded me...in Syn COOP 2 when we switched to Russian, white flight in the Russian base was taxing downwind straight down the middle of the runway. We were spawned in at the end of the runway as Red flight, and they were coming straight at us.

Took a closer look at that base. I really do not think you can have multiple charts on one field. There is no way to link a formation to a specific chart.

It might work if ALL the planes are ai, with no humans. I think what happened last Tuesday is 2 pilots spawned in red, and one in white. Red started their engines and move forward, triggering the chart going straight down the rundway. Someone took white lead, started their engine and pulled forward, triggering the take off command for the white ai. The white ai used the Red chart as their taxi points, and not the white chart.

It should be able to work as it is now, but anyone in white flight should probably wait till all of red and blue are up before starting their engines.