Tanks....you're welcome

WWICYtheDEAD

• 3 weeks later...

Lol.  It literally means "former."  But, in popular usage, it's come to mean something like "long-time" as well.  As in "formerly and still now."  It does get conflated with "esteemed" sometimes.  

Sorry, sometimes the professor in me just busts out.  

Edited by WWGriphos

Languages are living entities.  They never stay static.  And meanings don't come built in.  As much as it bugs the hell out of me for people to keep saying "literally" when they mean "really" or that's "concerning" when they mean "causes me concern" (since "concerning" is a transitive participle, not intransitive), it's language.  People are going to say what they say and mean what they mean and these new meanings are just part of the language now.  

My main field requires knowledge of ancient Greek.  It's a totally different language than modern Greek.  The funny thing is that you could put an Athenian from Socrates' time in a time machine and drop him 800 years into the future and he could read Koine Greek just fine.  No problem.  Simpler, even.  Try that with English!  Try to read Beowulf in the old English, or even Chaucer.  But Attic Greek was pretty different from Ionic Greek in his own time period, and they were both Greeks.  

See what you guys started!!  It's your fault!