New skins location, help required

WWSandMan

S!

New location for the WW Skins is being set up, in the Downloads section of this site. Any WW member may upload the current skin files, but I'd like to reserve that option for @WWDubya, since the WW skins are nearly all his creations.

So, Dub, if you'd like to upload the latest versions of the various skins, please do. 

I was hoping I could use existing links, but looks like we'll have to upload fresh copies of the files to be part of the new site. The existing skin files in the Vault will remain so that links active across the web will remain in place.

I'll create more file categories in the near future, but wanted to ensure the Skins categories are there. Once all the current skins are uploaded and active, I'll remove the other "blocks" with download links for the various skins.

Please advise if you want older versions kept, or new version uploads to over-write older versions.

@WWSittingduck ... The "hidden content" buttons are on the side-menu 'blocks' to keep them from being three pages long. Works well, simple use of the "spoiler" BB code. However ... This thread is pertaining more to the new Pant Shed area under the "Downloads" section: https://www.wingwalkers.org/files/category/2-paint-shed/ The other Paint Shed download lists are only there for convenience until the downloads are all set in their permanent home.

Okay... The majority of the available skin files for IL-2 Great Battles and Flying Circus are uploaded to the "Downloads/Files/Paint Shed" section. In a few hours (after rest) I'll go through the files and record the date I *originally downloaded* those files. This is important, because if there are newer versions of these files out there, I NEED YOU (YES, YOU!) TO UPLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION, and MARK  IT AS VERSION 1.1. 

Clear as mud? Good, I'm headed to bed now.

Sandy, you have done great work here loading it up.  I am thinking we need to let the members catch up a little bit and perhaps get Dub in the mix to make sure we get it right for how things get labelled.

For folks not used to it, folders for filing are a thing of the past.  Sophisticated data bases use categories to sort many many files.  Skins is a good place to try this approach because there are so many, with multiple different authors.  You should go to Downloads and navigate to the paint section to try navigating by category to get used to it.

The benefit of the old system is you could look at a single page and by looking at the date immediately know if it was a skin you already had or that a new one is added.  Dub was very organized about the dating so it was easy to see what you where missing

P4.jpg.70fdcf7db153771811079d0bca9f9f15.jpg

In the new system.....you can navigate quickly by category, and as an administrator it is easy to change the names of the categories, attach images and make sub categories.  Trying to figure out how the best way to do it and would want to get Dub's input since he maintains it.  I did a little bit of minimal experimenting ( added one sub cat, added one image under Americans).  

For those who want to experiment with navigating,  If you go to downloads, you can see categories to the right, and click on Paint Shed

Pic1.thumb.jpg.7ea8ed38e346c250dc2e508ab16d6666.jpg

If you click on Paint shed you can see all the categories by country affiliation

Pic2.jpg.0eb05cb4a7a110fbf5e2a4f27c894ba0.jpg

You can then drill down to just American aircraft.  Sandy I experimented with adding a screen shot to the heading that listed the American aircraft and the date they were issued, so someone could confirm if they needed to download or not.  Sounds like maybe you are trying to do that with version numbers?  Several ways to skin this cat.  It got cut off on the screen shot, but if you gave every plane skin a subcategory you could put the date in the name of the category but that might be a pain.   Almost too many choices.

Pic3.thumb.jpg.e5cb5a998f8692d60b995df7f752f002.jpg

Maybe the simplest way to do this is Dub keeps the Paint Shed thread and he just keeps a spreadsheet with the current list and just posts a single screen shot of the list whenever he updates or adds a skin.  

Than keep the download page categories very simple, easy to drill down to the skin you want to download.

User would look at Dub's Updated list, go "Cool I need the new P-47 skin" and just go grab it at the download tab.  

The Versions thing I refer to is part of the file upload process. I currently have the file upload set to keep older versions, but I really don't want to do that. As newer versions are created, the available file in the download area can simply be replaced with the newer version.

Here's where you can see the version number in the file list:\

downloads_page_version_numbers.thumb.jpg.f9780fa422177435d2faa6023ad2a374.jpg

And under the "File Actions" menu at the bottom left, a new version can be selected to upload:

downloads_page_version_numbers_02.thumb.jpg.08abbfd4cb28ac4474d520eaf4d9d34f.jpg

And yes, would be good to have an image for each section, but I don't think we need it to be the list of files and dates. That's a PITA to keep up with. As new files are uploaded, they are are shown (or can be shown) in a block on the side on the home screen. I'm still trying to find a way to add specific side blocks only in certain forum areas (go to the paint shed forum area, have the latest uploaded files listed in a block on the left, that sort of thing).

Can also use help adding screenshots to the file downloads ... My initial aim was to ensure the files are uploaded and available to *registered* site guests. It's up to Dub and the other skin authors if they want to use both the Vault and this sit'es Downloads area. The advantage to the Vault is that the links can be sent anywhere and easily obtained. Downloads here are not remotely accessible (can be changed in the admin menus, I saw that option) and require visitors who want to download a file to register first.  That part is on purpose and is my intention to remain that way as a security measure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly downloading all of these, but can we also have these uploaded to the FTP server as well?  The download speeds from the forum are PAINFULLY slow.  I understand why the forum software would throttle speeds, but 320 KB/s is not good.  When I download from the paint shed, it's 3.5 MB/s, but I'm under the impression those are outdated files. 

Not sure why the forum is slowing the downloads rates down. That is an issue.

@WWDubya, can you also keep one of the "Paint Shed" lists up to date with direct links to the downloads like the old way (the second one can be killed off)? I know it's a pin to do double uploads, but until the d/l rate is straightened out that's the best option I can think of. 

Though I abhor the idea of having to maintain two separate areas, I don't see much choice in the matter right now. If it appears that we can't increase the DL speeds via the forum DL feature, I may just abandon it and go back to the list as it was before.      

• 2 weeks later...

I can totally see why they did that. However, why wouldn’t they contact someone first to see if there’s a reason for it, before just throttling the shit out of the speed?

FWIW, I download all of them from the FTP at 6 Mbps. 

Edited by WWChunk

I'm still working through various settings for the Invision software. Currently going about some security settings that keep dinging in teh admin control panel. Finally figured out how to address those issues. Hoping that may have benefits elsewhere in the visible site. Still have no strong answer on download speed issue.

FYI, I'll be AFK tonight (in like ten minutes I'm leaving) so hopefully everything remains working. I know @WWChunk and @WWGeezer have my cell number, please text me if something goes awry with the site. 

Request patience from all on this.  What Sandy isn't telling you is we got a very professional but terse email from the Lunascapes, that based on the uptick in usage they were suspect that we were sideways with their usage policy.  We were at real risk of them locking these files and the vault out completely.

PS Sandy I have been checking the work ticket regularly and they have not had any response in four days, not sure if what you have been doing has made it look better, but they are being silent right now.

• Like 1