WWReaper

Looking for Recommendations

Looking to purchase a new stick/throttle setup. (Chunk has already pointed out the best pedals out there) I am looking for recommendations. I had a Cougar in my past life which I loved of course. I don't want to plunk down the big $$ for the Warthog HOTAS......yet. Please send along your setup if you love it and it's fairly easy to map for a pilot who has been disconnected for a while. I'm not a detail guy, more plug and play.

Can I get away with the Thrustmaster T16000  Flight pack  (includes pedals) @ $170 until I decide to sink $800 into Warthog and Croatian pedals or is it a waste of money?  I am going to invest in my first Track IR.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Lots of folks at Il2 forum recommend that for starters. I've the saitek x52 with ch pedals, but that is more expensive without any added benefits. The TM offering will get you off the ground just fine... That and the Track IR. Don't forget a comfy headset with Mic. 

• Like 1

I love my Gladiator Pro by VKB.  Best flight stick I've owned.  But it's pricey.  I flew with the TM T16000 for a LOOOONG time.  I've had several of them.  They are good joysticks.  I use the TWCS throttle now.  Much better than my old CH Pro throttle.  I believe the T16000 package comes with that throttle.  It's almost as good as a Warthog (where it counts...sensors and internals).  It just has fewer buttons and hats.  So, yes, that TM set is a good kit to start with.

I have a T16000 stick sitting around upstairs.  I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like to try it.  

And I don't fly combat sims without TrackIR.  I don't mind using a hat to view in civ flight sims, but I just get shot down all the time without TrackIR in combat sims.

@WWReaper I'm not familiar with that exact stick, throttle and rudder set. I'm running with my WartHog (with very basic DX inputs only, I rarely program the buttons), which is likely more bullet-proof than my Cougar was. Running with CH Pro Pedals (want to upgrade, but these work well, dammit), and TIR5.  I have a Sennheiser middle-of-the-road headphones and mic set (that is no longer available, it was about $50 new), that the TIR TrackClip Pro* doo-dads are attached to. The Sennheiser headphones and mic are wonderful, I have no complaints on sound fidelity and I've heard no complaints from others on the mic. I've had it for many years now, it's solid.

The TrackClip Pro is a three-fingered LED gizmo that provides much better and precise head tracking. The TIR unit itself (mounted on a monitor or suitable location in front of the pilot) is still sensitive to bright ambient light behind the wearer, but the TrackClip Pro is far better than the old reflector gizmo. 

Perfect. Thanks guys, and thanks Griphos for the offer. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on these today. I appreciate the input. S!

p.s. Order placed! 

Edited by WWReaper
  • Like 1

Update:  

New box build is on schedule to happen this weekend.  (Feb 16-17) I have all peripheral hardware but Track IR (which arrives tomorrow) . I did purchase the Thrustmaster 16000 so if anyone has any fav  profiles  for this equipment don't be shy.  I hope to be able to work with the new IL-2 game offline by later in the week. I also imagine that I'll need a ton of offline seat time before I'm even able to taxi safely with you guys again so suffice to say I know that we're looking at a couple of months before I darken a hanger door in here again.  

Thanks in advance to Chunk , Sandy and Dub as I'll be annoying the beejeebers out of them to get this new machine up to WW code.  

• Like 1

S!

I can always throw an air start plane in there for you till you get up to speed, which probably will  not take long...

Edited by WWSittingduck
  • Like 1

Recommend setting the same buttons/levers/switches for all aircraft.

Since each AC has slightly different names or slightly different ways of operation for each control, you will end up having single control/command assignments for multiple operations. (i.e. propeller RPM and propeller pitch could be the same control/command).

Also note that some AC will not allow sliders, or rotary controls, but all can be assigned to a button or keyboard command. Flaps are one of those instances, as some AC flaps can be finely controlled by use of a wheel, but other AC have step-controls (either down or up - or perhaps up, combat, landing, fully deployed - and are controlled by a lever or button. In this instance, find a control method that works for all AC (flaps, for me, is a hat switch... I can press/pull and hold until desired setting, or I need to perform several press/pull and release operations; all dependent upon the specific AC I am flying at the time).

Also, breaks may be best served if on the throttle or stick. Some folks prefer the rudder pedal method, while others (like me) prefer hand controls.

Hope this helps!   

• Like 1

I’m very much looking forward to you bugging the hell out of me Chuck!!

Also, I still do awesome donuts in the 190 every now and then, so don’t worry about embarrassing yourself while taxiing. 😆

• Like 1

Thanks Ron, that’s great to hear my friend. 

(The help part, not the donuts) 😄

Edited by WWReaper
  • Haha 1

My advice, keep offline flight school to a minimum...just enough to be familiar with the controls and taxi and takeoff, and then join the fun. Practice makes perfect...or at least better...and you have unlimited virtual lives. No reason to horde them. :)

Understood Griphos. Feel kinda odd I guess coming back after being relatively proficient in the game to a total rookie. New game new controls.  Would like to get functional with new peripherals and then I'll "join the fun".  Appreciate the encouragement.

• Like 1

if you want a practice mission:

Made it a Multiplayer mission so all the available planes to fly in are in one mission.  Enemy are all novice, and spawn one at a time.  Kill one, and another random plane will spawn.  Airstart.

extract to your data/multiplayer/dogfight folder

start the game and go to multiplayer>dogfight>continue>create server.  Set your realism to what you want, and ppp axis novice enemy f should be there on the left, in available missions,  dbl click it to move it to the right into the rotation, and start.  When the mission is loaded, there is only one airfield in the center of the map.  Click on that, select your plane, chose your loadout and hit start.

If you get killed (or maybe I should say WHEN you get killed), just hit finish mission, and you can either pick the same plane, or try another plane.  No need to restart the mission.

there are also some ground targets close to where you spawn in if you want bombing practice in between fending off enemy planes.

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old Fokkers/Misssions/ppp axis novice f.rar

Edited by WWSittingduck
  • Like 1

Thanks Duck, will give that one a shot. Might be a good way to get familiar with some of the planes I don't have much time in.

I'm in the same boat, 6-7 months into IL 2 after 20+ years of being in a flight combat sim. Biggest thing for me is making sure my TrackIR5 works smoothly so your not fighting it. Freely looking around is nice. 

Other buttons worth mentioning are the radiators, spitfire has a 5 position lever open close, others have radiator wheels, then open and close cowling on the FW 109 A-5, etc. So they can all use the same buttons to open/close. Don't make the mistake I did and make sure they all use the same button for open and same button for close. I had the spitfire the opposite of the others and would accidentally close the radiator and blow the engine.  

Same with the H-stabilizer and trim can use the same buttons, make sure they use the same buttons for up/down.

That's my 2 cents. 

Here's my current setup... 

Flight Gear:  Gladiator MK.II Pro Joystick  |  CH Pro Throttle  |  CH Pro Pedals w/ toe brakes  |  TrackIR5  |  TrackClip Pro

Thanks all. Build is complete (ish) box is a screamer but I'm learning Windows 10 amongst other details. 

48 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

I'm in the same boat, 6-7 months into IL 2 after 20+ years of being in a flight combat sim. Biggest thing for me is making sure my TrackIR5 works smoothly so your not fighting it. Freely looking around is nice. 

Other buttons worth mentioning are the radiators, spitfire has a 5 position lever open close, others have radiator wheels, then open and close cowling on the FW 109 A-5, etc. So they can all use the same buttons to open/close. Don't make the mistake I did and make sure they all use the same button for open and same button for close. I had the spitfire the opposite of the others and would accidentally close the radiator and blow the engine.  

Same with the H-stabilizer and trim can use the same buttons, make sure they use the same buttons for up/down.

That's my 2 cents. 

Here's my current setup... 

Flight Gear:  Gladiator MK.II Pro Joystick  |  CH Pro Throttle  |  CH Pro Pedals w/ toe brakes  |  TrackIR5  |  TrackClip Pro

You guys are freaking me out with the flight model complexity.....😒

On 2/16/2019 at 1:04 PM, WWReaper said:

You guys are freaking me out with the flight model complexity.....😒

Just remember, forward to make the houses get bigger and back to make them get smaller.....

• Like 1