Sign in to follow this  
WWGeezer

Spring Trip shaping up

So my wife and I are traveling to DC in the spring and the dance card is filling in nicely.

I get two days on my own to visit the Air and Space Museum and the Udvar Hazey Center.  Hope to take a tour of the Arlington Cemetery as well.  Another two days to visit more sites on the mall with the wife.  Than we have two days to finish up the visit and booked a room in a B&B just outside Antietam.  It is only twenty minutes from there to see Frank Loyd Wrights Falling Water as well.

Yikes....too much history in one place.  

Get your walking shoes ready!  I did the trip with my brother back in 2008, and I logged just over 24 miles in 3 days.  You have a little bit longer to stretch it out, but it's all amazing.  Make the Arlington trip happen,; you will never, ever forget the feeling that piece of land gives you.

• Like 1

I used to work in Hagerstown, MD. Lived just north of there in Blue Ridge Summit, PA. Stumbled on Antietam by accident, and was astounded at the carnage of that battle. Then went a little ways north-east and found Gettysburg. 

The entire area is swimming in history. 

You'll love the trip. I have visited Gettysburg 3 times during various motorcycle trips and Antietam once. The rolling hills of PA and the history of those Battlefields are amazing. Gettysburg is one of my favorite places in the country.  We did a spring break in DC when the kids were in High School and I thought they'd love it. No such luck, but I thought it was tremendous. I echo Chunk, my favorite places were the Iwo Jima memorial, Vietnam Wall, and Arlington. Seeing Kennedy's grave gave me goosebumps. The Korean War memorial is sneaky impactful as well.

Thanks guys.  Having chased WW1 history, but not so much civil war history, it is a little shocking how close together everything is.  Half the country was almost untouched with so much compressed into what feels like a very small sandbox on the map.

6 hours ago, WWGeezer said:

Thanks guys.  Having chased WW1 history, but not so much civil war history, it is a little shocking how close together everything is.  Half the country was almost untouched with so much compressed into what feels like a very small sandbox on the map.

Looking forward to your impressions after your trip Geezer. Enjoy!