Sign in to follow this  
WWSittingduck

Frylock...

God I hate posting at the Il2 site.  Always a handful of idiots still in their pajamas at 2pm just looking for posts to add their useless bs in...

But, should you have anything to add to this thread:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43064-allied-bomb-sight/   feel free...

I think I explained it accurately.......just trying to help you out here

Nope, Frylock is correct.  Gauges do not relate to info in bombsight.   Yes there is usable information there but not accurate information. The altitude is not adjusted to nearest airfield.  Ok the bomb command pickles properly at 6000 meters, but who can get there on most of these maps unless they air start, which is about 90% of the posters I’ll bet....   no we do not want airstart, that is cheating as far as I am concerned so Fry is valid and these “experts” don’t understand what you are asking, thanks for trying Duck but Fry has been so good at level bombing that he could do a great lesson plan for these people.  We don’t use labels, auto engine management, or even (usually) outside views, why would we start bombers at 6000 meters?  

Ok I guess I got in here late but what's going on now?

I read the forums and yes they are not getting what your asking.

But I think the info on the left tells you what to put in on for the right.

It doesn't tell you everything you may want to know but it gives you the basic info in bomb sight mode.

yep, jumped into an a-20.....Granted, it would be nice if the bombsite did show imperial if the cockpit is in imperial, but it does do the computation from mph to kph, and altitude in feet to meters for you...

Icy,,,i should have listened to you when you warned me about fry..........

I did stumble across this setting, never really noticed before, and not sure what it does.  I set mine to plane dependent, and thought if I jumped into a p-47 it might show my fuel load out as gallons, but it was still in liters.

from settings > game 

548324705_gamesettings.thumb.jpg.e6f0ef7f7031352efe14a234ad7a0a76.jpg

You get your headset fixed?

I believe I have the problem fixed with the headset, thanks for asking.

As for that setting, I believe that that is for your hud when you have icons on.

I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that does.

I was on earlier as well in a A20 and noticed I was at 5000ft and bomb sight said 1500 m I think. Something like that.

Well thanks for the effort Duck, I haven't checked that forum thread yet.  First of all it just plain bothers me that you're flying an American plane, all of the gauges on ip are ft/mph but the bomb site is metric, that's just historically inaccurate (mark XIV or norden were used).  Second, I've found the altimeter in the bombsite (axis and allied) to be inaccurate leaving me reliant on the altimeter (set to nearest friendly airfield) on the instrument panel to get the correct altitude, so yes in general the bombsite should give you the converted value it's still not the correct altitude.  I can use the converted airspeed on the bombsite fine but if the altitude is incorrect to begin with then the conversion will be just as inaccurate (garbage in garbage out).

Therefore I find I have to manually convert ft to meters which takes a little more time to set up the bombsite.

But we never gave the Russians the bomb sights when they were lend least to them, they used there bomb sight, witch is why the gauges are imperial and bomb sight metric.

I get that now and I didn't think of that, it makes sense we wouldn't give them our bombsite and @Duck, what do you mean soon to be ex-squad member? I don't go to those forums for the very reason of what just happened (usually people that don't know what they're talking about), I'm not even registered there for that reason. I'm sorry you had to go through that.  The [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo  guy is right and that's why I set the altitude the way I do.

I'll shut up about it now and just keep doing what I've been doing.

Edited by WWFrylock

Okay, had to read this just for the entertainment.  The fan boys can’t help but be right, even when they are wrong.

LOL!!!  While it hasn't yet risen to the level of absurdity that was the UBI-zoo of the old IL-2 forums, there are still a handful of sycophants there that just cannot help but make themselves look ridiculous on an almost daily basis.

I don't think most of them have done any level bombing or they would've noticed using the altimeter in the bombsite would've made their drops long by half of a mile.  I'm thinking what Zed posted is spot on.

When I got BOS I tried level bombing and took awhile for me to figure out why I kept missing my targets by so much.