Sign in to follow this  
WWCraven

Alpha Layers

@WWGreyWolfe, did you ever get your question answered for you on the BoS forum?  I'm using CS3 and finally figured out how to prep it for matting.  Attached is a jpeg of one of the alpha's I made up to get the matt finish on the artwork, lettering, cowling and ID bands.

Only thing I'm having a hard time getting my head around is how to adjust the grey scale on the alpha to lessen the "shiny" effect.

How does one edit alpha's in CS3, I need to get matting on all painted artwork and a shine on metal.

AlphaC.thumb.jpg.4ce23bcb4095bcc6c6530f9d360ce9ce.jpg

Craven,

What I do is set the refectiveness of the entire alpha so that the overall look is what I want. Then go to the layers with parts I want shinier or duller and select those parts with the selcetor tool, go back to the alpha and use the brightness/contrast slider to darken/lighten the gray value of that specific selection.  it is picky work and you can find yourself time-sucking away an entire day because,"Ok, just this one more small detail."

3 hours ago, WWDubya said:

Craven,

What I do is set the refectiveness of the entire alpha so that the overall look is what I want. Then go to the layers with parts I want shinier or duller and select those parts with the selcetor tool, go back to the alpha and use the brightness/contrast slider to darken/lighten the gray value of that specific selection.  it is picky work and you can find yourself time-sucking away an entire day because,"Ok, just this one more small detail."

@WWDubya Think we could arrange to get on TS for about 15 minutes to run through this?  I'm still struggling to get the alpha tuned.

Can we push back to 4:30? Misjudged timing of dindin readieness.

Got it all figured out now thanks to Dub's assistance, appreciate it much Dub.  FYI Dub and Grey, I used the masked alpha shown above and adjusted the brightness via the "image" "adjustments".  Didn't need to make any specific selection to adjust, simply adjusted the whole layer, here are the results, pretty much what I was looking for in terms of reducing the shiny/wet look. 

Now I'd like to get some input on which version you guys like best between alpha1 and alpha2.  Could also be somewhere in between the two.

This one is done with the original non adjusted alpha, very shiny/wet with lots of reflections.

2019_2_10_AlphaO.thumb.jpg.b0456c7ec841e12b8a3dc2fb2d4d5b8e.jpg

Alpha1, this is the 1st adjustment, still shiny but not as wet looking👇

2019_2_10_Alpha1.thumb.jpg.258f6417471bb39b93241b8f49dca9d6.jpg

Alpha2 version is even less shiny, more used and dirty looking 👇

2019_2_10_Alpha2.thumb.jpg.cdf6ce6e31b338310a1de1145674b180.jpg