The time has come my friend

WWSittingduck

to speak of many things...

in this case....monitors.  My 10 year old 24 inch  acer just does not cut it anymore...

Am leaning more to a tv vs monitor.   I just don't see what you get for you money looking at the monitors.

Right now, I am looking at this: Samsung UN49NU8000FXZA

biggest issue for me is where to put it.  Computer takes up a lot of desk space.

So if anyone has any pro's or con's, let me know.  But I have to update this monitor.  

Monitor is my next purchase as well. (my personal choice) I'm looking at 24" with a 1 ms response, something over 100hz and gsync that I'll run at 1920 res. But the cheapest I can find is about $350-$500. I'm currently viewing from my notebook which is only a 19" so it's 17.5" wide. 8.5" of head movement left/right with TIR5 which sucks. A 24" should work but it needs to be closer to your eyes verses a larger screen 3 feet away. But again this is my personal choice and I like things sharp and fluid, no tearing.  

VR - if you where glasses you will want to research this to make sure VR will work for you. For my eyes and glasses I would need to get VR with prescription lenses. I read some users destroyed there lenses using glasses with VR. Anyone here use VR and where glasses? what is your experience? I've thought about VR but I don't think it would work for me. 

53 minutes ago, WWSittingduck said:

to speak of many things...

in this case....monitors.  My 10 year old 24 inch  acer just does not cut it anymore...

Am leaning more to a tv vs monitor.   I just don't see what you get for you money looking at the monitors.

Right now, I am looking at this: Samsung UN49NU8000FXZA

Wouldn't you have to run this at 4K? For those with large monitors, how is the performance as you look around your cockpit? smooth / tearing / etc.? 

Yes I wear glasses and use VR. Those stories are false. You wear your glasses inside the headset  no problems, been using for almost a year.  You see the same way you see in real life.  So Duck it would not amplify the black dots, 

19 hours ago, WWZed said:

Yes I wear glasses and use VR. Those stories are false. You wear your glasses inside the headset  no problems, been using for almost a year.  You see the same way you see in real life.  So Duck it would not amplify the black dots, 

Good to know, thanks... i wish I could find someone with goggles so I could test it out on my system.

19 hours ago, WWICYtheDEAD said:

Using a 40" I don't get any tearing and my views are sharp, One thing though..Its a hell of a lot easer spotting and identifying aircraft now, My 32"hd monitor made it hard to see other aircraft.

Bigger is better for seeing that's for sure. Any suggestions for a monitor under $300-$350? 

Nice Geezer, I looked at the 27" for a price comparison to my $300-$350 budget. 

I was considering buying this - https://www.frys.com/product/9622573?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have an GeForce GTX 1070  w/HDMI w/G-SYNC so I need to make sure my setup will allow me to use the monitor to its full potential. Specs based on exclusive technology so I need to clarify that. 

Make every millisecond count with the 27” Full HD (1080p) VG278Q gaming monitor, featuring a 144Hz refresh rate, G-SYNC Compatibility and 1ms response time with ASUS’ exclusive GameFast Input Technology and FreeSync/Adaptive Sync. Turn any desk into a marathon battle station with the VG278Q’s ergonomic, adjustable stand and Eye Care Technology.

Yup...my screensaver has mine and my wife's side by side.  The difference between a mutt and a purebred, Robyn is 100% Scottish with family from Scotland, Ireland and England.   For me you could pretty much take the Western Front from WW1 and you would find me on all sides of the war, Irish, German, French, Eastern European

• 1 month later...

So after all the research and hemming and hawing over what I can get for the buck I pulled the trigger on a cheaper deal. If it turns out it sucks I'll just return it and drops few more bucks.

But I read some good reviews with PC mag and some review of users, g-sync working out of the box, etc. Not a super fancy stand or a lot of options with monitor settings. I need another monitor for work so couldn't see making the gaming monitor work for both. So a cheaper gaming monitor and hunting for a good monitor for work which is more $$$. VR in a  couple years with a new tower and better video card. 

Top picks..... 

• Model:PG258Q -  ASUS - ROG Swift 24.5" LCD FHD G-SYNC Monitor $546 my top pick... but with tax, warranty, ummm... $$$
  • Model:AW2518H - Alienware - AW2518H 25" LED FHD G-SYNC Monitor $469
  • Model:PG248Q - ASUS - ROG Swift 24" LCD FHD G-SYNC Monitor $400

AOC - G2590FX 24.5" LED FHD - $250 but on sale for $220

$312.00,  with cable and replacement warranty, shipped to my door on Thursday, assuming all goes as planned. Hopefully it will good enough to get the job done. Can't wait to have more screen real estate... 

Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution
1 ms response time
144 Hz refresh rate
24.5" LED monitor
FreeSync and G-Sync Technology compatible
2 HDMI, VGA and DisplayPort inputs
50,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (1,000:1 typical)
400 cd/m² brightness

42 minutes ago, VonBrinson said:

Noice!!! You'll like it.  Going to have to adjust yer' TrackIR stand... :)

Thanks, I hope to get a good one, seems to be hit and miss with product constancy these days. So I try not to get excited until its up and working... 

Actually I don't think I'll need to move my TrackIR stand, maybe up a touch. It's setup for a larger monitor which cleared up the viewing flip out problem, just don't have the monitor yet. So the stand is farther back and higher than my laptop which is on blocks to center it in my view. Once I move the laptop the monitor should sit right in front of the TrackIR stand and still be below the TrackIR camera with room to move it forward or back for comfort, just like my laptop only no blocks. Laptop crowds my controllers so my thumb hits it when throttling. So this solves a lot little space problems. 

Next it's build a new desk/stand for my controllers for comfort, current setup is as fancy as my TrackIR stand. 

Can't wait to get rid of having the laptop in front of me.

Goal is to have my work desk setup with keyboard/mouse/monitor then the sim setup with it's own kb/ms/monitor and put the laptop between the 2 so nothing ever has to be moved and much of the stuff can stay plugged in.

Might effect my work since I'll be able to hop on for quick flights with zero setup, LOL. 

Now hunting for a 24" work monitor... need a sale.