3-27 mission test scrimmage

Thanks for letting me fly with you guys last night in the JG5 test mission.  It was fun even though I burned up the engine on my Spitfire and then got smoked by a 190 when chasing another one I had damaged.  That 500 respawn timer was annoying.

One thing I noticed is that (and forgive me if this is pretty common knowledge as I haven't multiplayered IL until recently), when those guys were in trouble they lit up their navigation lights.  Prior to me getting downed, I noticed they were turning them on, but I wasn't thinking as to why they were doing it.  I guess if the baddies already know where you're at and are shooting at ya, might as well turn them on so your friends can find you and maybe come to help.  I still shoulda smoked that guy before his buddy got to me... grrrrr.

For anybody that hung around until the end... Do you know if they actually bombed or gunned their objective?  Or was the defense successful?  I was flying cover for a bit, but diverted South to try and aid guys in combat.  So I guess I left my patrol area.  I didn't even see the train we were supposed to be protecting.

Anyways... Thanks again.  I've got a lot to learn.  I think I'll start by listening more in TS rather than jabbering.  I'm going to set up some plane specific profiles for the hotus.  Not being able to use certain aircraft due to control biding issues is inexcusable.  I do have voice attack, but at 11pm the Missus and sleeping Teenager, don't want to hear me yelling, "open oil radiator."

S!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VonBrinson said:

It was fun even though I burned up the engine on my Spitfire

I'm going to set up some plane specific profiles for the hotus.  Not being able to use certain aircraft due to control biding issues is inexcusable.  I do have voice attack, but at 11pm the Missus and sleeping Teenager, don't want to hear me yelling, "open oil radiator."

S!

Hey VonBrinson...

Some of the guys may have mentioned this but if you can bind common buttons for multiple planes. Once you get all the basics button/axis’s mapped it should work for all the fighter planes. I haven’t flown multi engine bombers.

I’m still fairly new to IL 2 and in comparison, to the other members I still very new. But here is what I’ve learned with help and some research.

If you have all the buttons mapped and you’re not sure if radiators or prop pitch/rpm are manual or auto, when in doubt, press your buttons to open oil/water increase rpm's, etc. since some things have say 3 to 5 positions you have to press multiple times and others you press and hold.

When in doubt, tap/press the button 5 or 6 times first to open, then press and hold for 4-5 seconds to open. Then you know it’s open even if you’re not sure where the wheel or lever is or if it’s auto or manual. Your less likely to burn up your engine. (changes a bit I’m sure when the weather is freezing, and I have no experience in snow)

Note: prop pitch/rpm, when in doubt, once the buttons are setup, just move the buttons and watch the RPM gauge to see if it’s manual, if it is, most likely it’s full max for takeoff, but will need to be adjusted after takeoff or burn up an engine.

Engine and flight control management buttons I use:

• Oil radiator – wheel, levers (some can be set to an axis)
  • Water radiator – wheel, levers, cowling ( some can be set to an axis)
  • Manual/auto radiator – button
  • Prop pitch/prop rpm
  • Manual/auto prop – pitch/rpm
  • Boost ( I had boost and supercharger on the same button till I found the plane that needed both )
  • Supercharger
  • Toe brakes
  • Wheel brakes
  • Tail-wheel lock – lever, latch, switch, etc. Some are stick aft or rudders centered, or no tailwheel lock
  • Navigation lights – on/off
  • Cockpit lights – on/off
  • Canopy – open/close, not sure if some planes have additional canopy function
  • Trim Pitch / Horizontal Stabilizers
  • Flaps up – up/down one position, multiple positions, fully adjustable
  • Flaps down
  • Gear – up/down

Radiator Example:

Radiators – they may be auto, manual, or you can switch to manual. Just make sure when you map the different radiator functions for the different planes; you map the same buttons open and close for each. I made the mistake of having my spitfire opposite to the others and would accidentally close instead of opening my radiator and burn up the engine. (of course, as I get better at checking the gauges it’s not an issue)

• Many planes - Wheel forward opens / wheel backward closes radiator
  • Spitfire – 5 stage lever; forward opens, back closes
  • A-5 – radiator cowling, cranks, clockwise, counter clockwise to open, close
  • Etc.

Spitfire:

I really like the Spitfire Mk.VB for learning engine management since the water radiator and prop pitch are manual plus you use the boost button as needed and It likes the water at 110 deg. Then as you get more comfortable you can better manage the radiator lever and temp.

Then for added fun if you roll past 60 degrees in a turn you have to wait 30 seconds for the navigation gyro to start working again. So, it’s best to fly pretty level in route. Finally started using the clock to monitor nav coming back and 5 minute boost limit. Dogfighting skills are still horrific but my engine management skills are coming along.

• Continuous - Run at 2650 rpm, Boost+7 (+4-*7) all day long.
  • 30 minutes Combat - For me the easiest way to manage the Spitfire is to not exceed 2850 rpm Boost +9, leave the rpm’s set to 2850 rpm
  • 5 min max Boost –4 min or less is better - When you need extra power, hit your boost button and full throttle. Leave your rpm set to 2850 so all your adjusting is your throttle.

30 min limit - manage throttle and boost only:

• 2850 rpm, water radiator fully open
  • Boost on, throttle max – 1- 4 min / 5 max
  • Boost off, throttle back to Boost +9 (adjust as need, just watch the oil temp)
  • Never adjust your RPM’s or water radiator
  • Keep an eye on your oil temp if your using the boost a lot for short periods of time. It will bite you in the butt.

Emergencies

• Boost on, full throttle, increase your prop rpm to 3000 – watch the oil/water temp, oil temp kills the engine an is slow to recover, water temp recovers fairly quick.
  • If you see the RPM gauge needle start jumping, your engine is going to eventual quick RTB.
  • As you get more comfortable, start adjusting your radiator to keep your water temp up to optimum 110 without going over in any situation.

I don’t use the fly-out tips/hints that give the engine management in %'s so any info given on TS in %'s doesn’t translate. I still need to go in and turn this on then write down the % for powers so I can translate in flight.

Once you setup your buttons to cover all the fighter planes, the rest will be much easier.

Hope this helps…

Edited by WWDriftwood
Added boost on, full throttle, to emergencies
  • Like 1