Anyone try this - Voice Pack in English for Radio Chatter?

WWDriftwood

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35315-mod-voice-pack-in-english-for-radio-chatter-v047/

It would be nice to get rid of the pop up messages and hear things in English for immersion. I only read those messages offline to get bandit location when dog-fighting and forget to use them online. Usually I'm focused on everything but reading messages unless I'm cruising flat and level to target. I still don't understand how you guys use the technical tips over gauges though I do end up turning on cockpit lights a lot to see. But technical tips, plus the messages makes for a busy screen while flying. 

Has anyone tried this? I'm always a bit skeptical trying some of these 3rd party mods for both keeping them updated and working with the sim and security. But it sure would be nice to get rid of those messages and respond to the radio info quickly... 

• Like 1

can tell you what I think of it in bout 30 mins. 

I usually just rename that radio folder, but forget I have to do it after every update, so usally end up with the chatter.  Hopefully this will be a little better.

Now what would be really cool is if we can all chip in, and put our voices in there.....

That being said, I have dibs on "retreat!!"

ok, pretty cool hearing something you can understand other than that garble that Is usually there...

Did not help that the AI in the coop were involved in a cluster f**k trying to take off.

Couple observations.   Seemed like there was a "fill in the blanks" part of the speech.  Blue flight was taking off. and I heard "Arcaci, this is (pause) ready for take off.

Also, might be a little annoying to some to hear voices playing, when they are trying to communicate.

If you want to test, recommend you try it with one of our coops.  That is were you are going to get something quick, vs a dogfight mission where you will have to wait till one of the ai on the ground are being attacked.

• Thanks 1

Okay, that would be cool to add our voices. I think I read on the forum they were adding voices. I'll check it out. I have dibs on "Bandit, June Bug, 5 O'Clock low" 😉 Are you going to use it or prefer no audio?

So to get rid of the audio you just rename data/audio/radio to anything like radio_OLD etc then rename after every update. It will be interesting to see if the audio is overwritten on updates. 

Is there a way to get rid of the fly-out text if I use the English audio? Ultimately that's what I'd like to do. Have the audio in English and get rid of the subtext from popping up on the screen. Otherwise no audio. 

Thanks for the info... 

I could be wrong, but think the flyout text is not an editable item..

if anyone wants a quick comparison:

mod:

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/inbox/Forum Posts/req_takeoff.ogg

default:

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/inbox/Forum Posts/req_takeoff (1).ogg

I tried to do all that with a media syntax ([media]…......did not work...is it possible?

you do not have to save the files above...just open them

Edited by WWSittingduck

The video worked and showed how cool the mod is... Nice to be able to understand the AI for a change! But the .ogg files are not recognized by the forum as media files, so those links defaulted to download versus open some media program. At least for me.

I'll try and set this up before Thursday. For the file opening, it depends on if you have a default program setup to open/play. The only caution I guess would be to avoid investing to much time in it unless it's confirmed to be supported with future updates. But if works now and is simple, cool. 

• Like 1

Thanks Brinson, there is a do-up on the BoX forum using the same app.

This could be fun.  Would like to consider getting some voices in there for our coops.  There are some limitations on voices:

Germans have 4 pilots (actor51-54)  1ATC 1Spotter 2Gunners

while the russians have voices for: 5 pilots 2 ATCs 2Spotters 2Gunners

One nice thing about it is each pilot can have it set up any way he wants.  They can have no voices, or just a select few.  It is kinda necessary to have a copy of the radio folder, cause each update overwrites it.

So if 4 pilots want to make mp3 (or if you are smarter than me .ogg ) files for data\Audio\radio\ger\actor51\const\req_takeoff.ogg I would like to have them stuck into my install when we fly the next coop.  I picked take off clearance cause it is one that I know is going to be played.  What I don't know, is what other elements needed to be edited for this particular action.  Some things they say are combinations of probably up to 5 different phrases.

Thanks, I haven't been able to get it to work. I'm not using mods so I just dropped in the file and folders into the radio folder. 

ger folder - has actor51, 52, and 53 + empty.ogg file / let them overwrite the files/folders, then I tried removing the other actor folders in the ger folder, but no joy. 

Thanks Craven, Duck sent me a note describing the folder/files I should have, I extracted the files again (I think I botched the first un-rar-ing) and they were all there as opposed to the 3 actor folders, dropped it in and it works. I just renamed the original radio_OLD and kept a separate backup. Seemed a little quiet but will test later with my headphones. Looking forward to some help from the radio in my native dribble. The only time I read the messages is when I'm offline dog-fighting and need a little direction. 

"tested it and seems to be working great for me now" voices could be mixed out a little better but it's nice actually having English dribble in my ear... 

Edited by WWDriftwood