Air & Space #1 & #2

WWGeezer

Going to use this thread to post some of the images from the trip.  First for those that don't know, there are two Air & Space Museums.  

Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum on the Capital Mall in Washington DC (SNASM)

Stephen F. Udzar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia

The National Air & Space in DC is a mayhem.  Half of it is closed for a renovation that could take five years.  Bus loads of kids delivered hourly and wall to wall people.  More of an emphasis on hands on displays than lots of restored aircraft to view.  My friend I met there said the wear and tear on displays is incredible.  This visit was  interesting but not particularly fun.

Udzar- Hazy on the other hand was incredible, lots of room to take your time, some great vantage points to view the aircraft and a large restoration area to view them working on planes

Here is a map and a few images to give you a sense of scale

A&S_1 copy.jpg

DSC_0800.jpg

DSC_0840.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled my previous pic's so I could do a better job.  Will repost, in format below for WW1 birds.   For Chunk, here are the slides of some WW2 Germanic Heavy Metal

VonB, absolutely....for Udvar Hazy....Air&Space on the Cap Mall only go if you have other things you want to see.

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the DO 335 was the fastest piston engine aircraft of it's time,

Even over the p51 

Also I believe it had the first ejection seat used in ww2. I think it was a 30mm blank round attached to a bar and would literally shoot the pilot up and out. The rear prop would separate just before that would happen, A very scary thought of something didn't go as planned.