Gunsight Guide

not sure I agree with those pics Craven.  I do attempt to try and watch the enemy's wingspan and how it compares to the circle on the sight, and use it as an approximation of distance.  At 200m, I think most fighter's wing tip to wing tip is about 1/2 the distance across the circle.  Now this is on a f-4....as it is pretty much the only plane I fly...

Edited by WWSittingduck

I like Air Combat site and Sheriffs Sim Shack, If you go to the link Brin provided, then look in the video description, click show more, you can click the download link for his charts. I just did a print to PDF to get the 20 page guide. 

I thought the basic rule of thumb was fill the site = 100 m, then break it down from there, 1/2 200, 1/3 300, and so on. Of course there's a bit more to it than that. But I like the analogy of figure out the distance you like to shoot from, then set your convergence accordingly understanding all the other factors of your choice for that range. Where it's deadly, effective, non effective, etc. The rest is just practice until you know intuitively where to aim based on experience with a specific convergence. 

Seems mine is 240 for the f4, still experimenting. Most use less but then your range fizzles out at 400+ or double the distance, and high convergence is the opposite. So I can really miss big close up when I had it set to 300-350.... or even 400. 

Several more months and I assume I'll have this figured out for what works best for myself. One time I seemed to find my range and took out 3 Migs with hardly any ammo, Surgical bursts on deflection shots as opposed to pulling lead and holding the trigger down while relaxing the stick using 3-4 times the ammo. 

this is all just my humble opinion of course. 

27 minutes ago, WWICYtheDEAD said:

Last night Thursday I jumped in fighters after gold left and was on target for 4 kills with lots of ammo left.

Only used 1 second bursts or less, and was surprised at my accuracy.

Which fighter plane, what was you convergence set to, ammo? 

While experimenting I hadn't really considered the amount of extra punch I had when setting the convergence to 200-220. But the burst at the close range seem pretty nasty on the Migs wing as opposed to 300-350. So the pilots that like it set to 150, probably sting a bit more when they tap there trigger. Wasn't sure how much stock pilots put into this. My test are only as consistent as my accuracy. 

Was it 200-220 or was my aim just better making the shot more destructive. 

I wonder if some of the real world fighters had 2 different convergence ranges setup if they had additional guns. I assume not. I had read that in the real world they just kept reducing the convergence so it was more destructive, I forgot which fighter they were. 

What's every ones favorite convergence? Plane/range

I used some of the guide and mostly from past experience, but one thing was I didn't just shoot to shoot..I waited until I knew I'd get a hit, and held back on impulse.

I was surprised at how much ammo I still had when I landed.

As far as convergence I think mine is set to 300 but not sure at moment.

Convergence matter less on the fighters where the guns are mounted in the nose or the wing roots.  The Jug, the Mustang, and the Spit are way more finicky in that regard.  I have mine set to 400 meters, and 99% of the time I'm flying an Fw190.  I remember (I think), in the original IL-2, you could set convergence for both machine guns and cannons.  Nevertheless, I still like to get within that 400 meter range before I start hammering away at bad guys.

Of course, all of this gets way more complicated when we start talking about deflection shooting and boom and zoom tactics...my favorite kind of engagement. :guns: