Camping / Boating Season is on.

WWCraven

True, weather has finally cooperated, mostly, so it's that time of year again.  Won't be flying from Thursday's through Sunday's most weeks until the fall.  Still have some remnants of ice on the lakes so none of the docks have been put in place yet😒, have to wait another week or so before I can drop the boat in.

Already set up for this weekend,heading back out to the lake shortly, enjoy the weekend gents!

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

• Like 4

On 5/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, WWDriftwood said:

Can you bottle up some of that clean air and ship it to me? So what do you fish for? Assuming your doing some fishing... 

Sure I'll send you a bottle😁 Once I get the boat in the water usually we fish for Lake Trout and Northern Pike.  If I use light tackle then we go for Arctic Grayling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, WWGriphos said:

I’m hoping that’s a good telephoto lens making it look that close. 

He's definite;y a very healthy cinnamon male and he was about 75 yards away.  I simply rolled down the window and used a 300mm lens out the passenger side of the truck.  Had enough encounters with bears to know better than to get out of the truck for a closer shot.

Besides he was starting to get pissed, this one not quite in focus but you can see the hair on the back of his neck start to ruffle.  I closed up the window and drove away and left him to his grazing.

IMG_0303.JPG

• Like 1

You are a wise and judicious man!  

I've had two close-ish encounters with grizzlies in the Yellowstone backcountry.  One on horseback, and one while in a tent.  I was very lucky in both encounters. I like looking at bears in photographs instead of in person. 

Had a black bear hanging around my RV last summer. Never saw him or her. My sister did. Scat within 50 feet of the camper several times. Lots of black bears in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. 

Edited by WWGriphos

That’s clearly not me, although that fella cuts a similarly fine figure, I’ll admit.  There’s a clear resemblance in the steely gaze as well.

But I haven’t been clean-shaven since I was 18. 

And I have no idea what that contraption he’s riding is supposed to be.  Surely if they can make such nice snaffle bridles, they can make a decent saddle without needing to hide it under a baby blanket  

Until my thirties,  probably spent almost as many hours horseback as I did walking. There were a couple of horseback trips I took in my late twenties that were longer than 6 months. It was on one of those trips that I saw the grizzly.  I saw him before my horse did, but not before the grizzly saw both of us. He was downwind and caught our scent before he saw us, I believe. He (or she) was leaving the area when I spotted it on the far side of a pond I was passing. It was nice to have the pond between us. 

The pic above does resemble what Jeremiah (my Morgan) looked like when he caught sight of the bear.  But since I’d already seen him, I was ready for the reaction. 

Thanks for sharing the real story.....as a California Boy who has never seen a Grizzly Bear ( a few Mountain Lions, Rattlesnakes and Black Widows).....I am sure if I saw one I would look more like the horse than the rider in that picture ( but I would be happy with the outfit that would allow for a quick change of my underwear that would surely be required )

Bears are nothing to mess with, (Grizzly Man), but at least if with another person and you encounter a hungry or mad bear, remember you dont necessarily have to out run the bear, (you cant), you only have to out run your companion. 

• Like 1

Shoot, here in the hill country, rattlesnakes and black widows are basically pets. Every place has several of each. About a year back I shot a huge rattler just off the front porch. My dog was bitten by one, but survived that. I think the cat we lost a few weeks ago was killed by one. I couldn’t find any marks, though. 

It's the scorpions that I hate. I’ve only been stung a couple of times. Lisa has been stung close to a dozen times. Several of those were while she and I were in bed. For some reason, they prefer to sting her. Hurts for days.

I've never seen a cougar in the wild. Always wanted to.  I’ve heard them. We may have some around here (people say they see them), but I’ve never come across or heard one. We have awful big bobcats though. 

I've narrowly escaped being stung by a scorpion by the simple expedient of dumping out my boots before I put them on... then screamed like a girl.

I've seen black bears, from a distance. One while I was in boy scouts, on a canoe trip into Boundary Waters. We got to sit in our canoes after having fished for dinner, and watched this black bear tear up our camp. He couldn't get at the food bags (suspended from trees), but he sure made a mess of everything at ground level.

I've heard cougars (had them come into town a couple times - yes, out here in flat old corn country!) but only once ever saw a wild one, and that was road kill. Couldn't believe what I was looking at beside the road one day, brought the work truck (all 45,000 pounds of it) to a halt and went back to see if that dead thing along the road was actually a cougar. It was. And the county sheriff that showed up about the same time I got to it confirmed it for me. One look at the claws and teeth was all I needed... that thing is a meat shredding machine. Or it might have been, if somebody's vehicle hadn't made it a meat-bag of mush.

Shoot, that is a little bear, try our white ones up in Churchill Manitoba, puts all other bears to shame (even the Kodiak). They come ashore for the summer when the ice melts and then don’t eat for three months(well unless they get a tourist). Spent the best vacation of my life up at the research station there, if you went out you went out armed or with a bear guard.  The scientists used to jog in the morning with two of them riding bikes and rifles over their shoulders.. During the hot days they just lie down in the tundra rocks and you could be on one in seconds...  if you can do 35 mph in under 2 seconds, you might outrun them. Halloween is a weird time up there, ice is forming and the bears gather at the shore. Kids go door to door with an armed adult and the police force is all out patrolling for bear alerts.  

On 6/25/2019 at 8:55 AM, WWZed said:

Shoot, that is a little bear, try our white ones up in Churchill Manitoba, puts all other bears to shame (even the Kodiak). They come ashore for the summer when the ice melts and then don’t eat for three months(well unless they get a tourist). Spent the best vacation of my life up at the research station there, if you went out you went out armed or with a bear guard.  The scientists used to jog in the morning with two of them riding bikes and rifles over their shoulders.. During the hot days they just lie down in the tundra rocks and you could be on one in seconds...  if you can do 35 mph in under 2 seconds, you might outrun them. Halloween is a weird time up there, ice is forming and the bears gather at the shore. Kids go door to door with an armed adult and the police force is all out patrolling for bear alerts.  

Vacation in a cage, sounds tempting. 

Edited by WWDriftwood