Sign in to follow this  
WWSandMan

Latest software update accomplished

S!

Latest software update accomplished. Please note, however, that I did not renew the "subscription" to the 'Brave' theme (the dark theme set as default.) I do like the theme's author, and his dedication to providing timely updates (usually within a day or two of an official update, even minor ones.) 

That said... go to https://www.ipsfocus.com/ and check out the themes available. Add your thoughts or wishes for a skin or theme for the forums in this thread, and the Staff will make it happen.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sandy.

I use the default, but can switch to Brave, so going to assume the Brave has more time on it...

Have to ask...so we had to pay for Brave?  When we first switched to Invision, I looked at the themes...was even considering one until I noticed it was 60/year.  Just assumed that was an "individual" price.  Was the cost of a "for everyone" more?

The cost for themes from this author (IPS Focus) is $30 up front, then a $10 renewal every six months after. The default white/gray scheme that comes with IPS is part of the package, and can be customized. But those customizations may get booted on software updates. I see there are some things already broken in Brave after this most recent update. May be removing it entirely to try a different flavor. 

Is there a place you can add a custom style sheet for the default theme that won't be overwritten? Usually they provide ways to add custom style sheets or child theme's etc., not always. Could be handy for changing the look, just stay away from structure styling and you shouldn't break stuff. 😉 But if its separate you can have some fun, remove it when your done if not happy, etc. 

Yes, I can add child themes to any top level additional theme (or the default). In fact that's how IPS suggest working themes... Install the custom theme, then install it again as a child, set the child as the one in use and customize that one.

I thought it was kind of weird, but works quite well. Especially for minor updates. 

My issue is that I don't want to over-modify a theme, then have to keep track of, and reapply, all the modifications after each software update. I've already been down that path with IPS and had to pull back. Alternating header background images is one such item that became a pain in the ass to reapply after each update. Now it's morphed into a background image picker the user can set, but is static and doesn't vary with each page load. 

Anyway, toss out some thoughts on custom themes found at IPSFocus, or quality IPS themes found elsewhere ,subject to testing and author reputation review... "Johnny" might make a killer theme for IPS, but if he's not going to support his theme I'm not wasting my time on his product.

The way they seem to have it setup is it's up the the user to only edit in the child theme what doesn't break when updating the parent theme, then never update the child theme or it wipes out your customization. So you can choose to totally customize and document your changes for a child theme, then update that child theme and replace customization post update, or only customize cosmetics or specific file and only update the parent.

Not the best system unless you can copy the parent, remove everything accept the folder and files you can customize safely. Then only add styles/code/etc. to the child theme that you customize, it inherits the rest. Now you have a nice clean child theme with only the changes you made. Much easier to manage and update anything that might still break in an update. Usually class name changes or additional classes for more flexibility, so you just update and add the css classes as needed. 

But it does seem best to just find a nice clean regularly supported and updated theme with a GUI that will do everything you need, KISS method right... 

Do these themes offer a place within the theme settings to add custom styles? Usually there's a lot you can accomplish with that and not fuss with child themes, just keep a backup of your custom CSS. 

you get all the fun Sandman. :pistols:

• Haha 1

I like that TITAN theme, it’s very in your face. 😉 

• Like 1

I guess I am kinda of an apple guy....I go for cleanest and simplest to read, tend to go with the default theme that is mostly white on white

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

I vote for anything you think has the least amount of headaches and an admin interface you enjoy. 🙂

Same

• Like 1

Apparently there were some minor changes in the software, on logging in tonight I found some serious issues with the existing Brave theme, so I nuked it. Played around a little with colors in the default, but didn't get carried away. Will look into Titan theme this weekend.

Any update on a different theme Sandy? This one is pretty plain Jane and doesn’t display the sign in links properly on one of my computers. I’m sure that’s on my end, but this theme is extremely limited. 

I simply haven't gotten with Geezer to buy a new one. Appreciate the reminder though. 

That sign-in link issue is because the banner at the top apparently covers it up. Thought it was just me having that issue.