Tuesday Aug 13th

• WWSittingduck changed the title to Tuesday Aug 13th
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I noticed last time when we were flying blue we ran into 8-10 planes that gathered high above the clouds circling. Wasn't much blue could do with them. 

Command Cover seems to make this happen. I'm not clear on expected behavior of command cover but when I added it to my flight groups in an effort to make a wing cover the lead, "with absolutely no understanding of command cover behavior" All my planes ignored the waypoints and headed for the clouds. Removed cover, and normal behavior came back.

If expected behavior is to circle high above the clouds and not engage, that works, and could be handy to use if you randomly activate it for a short time then deactivate. 

Looking at the map it looked like red flight of 8 has a command cover for bombers. Would maybe removing the command cover allow red fighters to be more interactive in the mission? 

pretty sure what command cover does is tell this AI group to cover the bombers.  If the bombers get attacked this group should zoom in and project them.  I assume if the bombers crash or complete the mission the AI don't have much to do and could loiter around unless there is a command to land ( which I think there might be). 

I don't have time to do much mission building right now to experiment, feel free to kick and around and see what happens!

There are three settings for cover

From mission editor and multiplayer server manual (P.239):

"Priority
The priority of the coverage.
Low–The covering objects can also attack nearby enemies.
Medium–The covering objects can maneuver to defend themselves from attacks.
High–The covering objects do nothing except cover the object requiring
protection."

I would look to see what the bombers do first.  Could be they just did not take off...but we will find out Tuesday, cause we are flying the Russian side...

Those same planes will be on our side now.  Considering they were flying in friendly territory (for them), my first guess would be something happened to the bombers they were suppose to be covering..

4 hours ago, WWGeezer said:

pretty sure what command cover does is tell this AI group to cover the bombers.  If the bombers get attacked this group should zoom in and project them.  I assume if the bombers crash or complete the mission the AI don't have much to do and could loiter around unless there is a command to land ( which I think there might be). 

I don't have time to do much mission building right now to experiment, feel free to kick and around and see what happens!

I hear you there, I try to make experimenting part of my free fly time... 

3 hours ago, WWZed said:

There are three settings for cover

From mission editor and multiplayer server manual (P.239):

"Priority
The priority of the coverage.
Low–The covering objects can also attack nearby enemies.
Medium–The covering objects can maneuver to defend themselves from attacks.
High–The covering objects do nothing except cover the object requiring
protection."

Thanks Zed, I'll tinker more, but all settings seem to have the same overall results when I changed those settings, there flying high covering. 

45 minutes ago, WWSittingduck said:

I would look to see what the bombers do first.  Could be they just did not take off...but we will find out Tuesday, cause we are flying the Russian side...

Those same planes will be on our side now.  Considering they were flying in friendly territory (for them), my first guess would be something happened to the bombers they were suppose to be covering..

Red flight allied/axis both use the command cover set to medium/groups checked. So might try changing it to low but I'm betting they will still pool above the clouds. 

Bombers took off, those were the bombers below we started chasing after most of blue went down, so red was in the clouds, bombers below. I think some did come down when I started chasing bombers, but without know AI behavior, pilots will see and go after the AI covering the clouds, at least that's what we did. Great distraction and now an AI tell. AI pooling/circling in a flock above, means there are probably bombers flying below, ignore the fighters, look for the bombers, let the fighter come to you. But you have to know this. 

I'm not sure what you do other than set red to a longer path so they stay in the area or set a timer to turn off the cover command at some point. 

10 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

AI pooling/circling in a flock above, means there are probably bombers flying below, ignore the fighters, look for the bombers, let the fighter come to you. But you have to know this. 

oh yeah....the 110's that shot us up at the end.  Whew....would never had thought those fighters were suppose to be covering those bombers...

As my groups are starting to gain life, I started testing different mcu's, so I tossed in cover. As a single mcu it requires some additional logic and mechanics tied to it.

Maybe a trigger to deactivate the cover mcu if we enter the cover area.

So if we saw the same planes pooling and moved to intercept like we did, before we could engage or try, the cover deactivates and all hell should break loose. LOL. Now you have 8 enemy fighters together turned loose on hopefully low priority waypoints and ace level with there usual aggressive behavior causing our comms to start blowing up 😉

Or even better, we are simply seeing the bombers in the same area and approach the bombers; it deactivates cover to turn the AI loose as opposed to waiting for them to figure it out. stupid ai....puuh I spit at you stupid ai, do what I tell you! 

I admit my playing with ME has caused strange ideas for testing, like I had a momentary lapse in judgment and thought "what if" I put about 12 bombers over my airfield as I start my engines, bombers are out of fuel, set to shoot air and ground target, at the same time I have AAA and ships defending. 

What happens? I'll tell you what happens, LOL, everyone bails out, parachutes everywhere, planes are shooting at my plane when they can, ships and AAA are shooting planes, shooting the guys in parachutes, ever see artillery hit a guy in a chute, LOL, I did. Planes crash landing, left a couple planes with tiny amounts of fuel, little extra time to shoot at me as I try to take off. 

You know, create a little unforeseen mission entry madness, 

Mission one, flying Russian... Quickly ended up with a dead engine, bellied-in on friendly side of the lines.

2019_8_14__1_44_11.thumb.jpg.0ebd2411bacb333e8d4f4e89d3cd05f2.jpg

Caught one of Blue flight chasing down an FW-190 near my bellied-in position.

2019_8_14__1_54_40.jpg.e7c6b4db73c13f69ed7d2b023c241fb0.jpg

Mission two, same mission but flying German. Landed safely, took out some AAA at the target, got to chase some bad guys around, watched Gold flight do major damage. Had fun. Didn't take any screen shots, lol.

• Like 1