Refuel/repair/reheal

. Quote “The Fall season brings warm sweaters and more indoor time with the family and more time playing your favorite combat flight-simulation – IL-2 Sturmovik!! The team is very busy preparing the next update due later this month which will be a big one, but not quite the final one before Battle of Bodenplatte and Flying Circus are considered ready for release. We also continue our work on Tank Crew which has some new features and improvements coming as well. As we work hard to ready these two products for retail release here is a special sale featuring our Collector Planes and Scripted Campaigns”

2FC331E0-C32A-4410-9728-61A5FA8A4474.jpeg

Edited by WWZed

On 9/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, WWSittingduck said:

there is some indication these features (that go back all the way to ROF), might actually get implemented.

Not sure why "rearm" is not in there...maybe that is what reheal means....

I see rearm in the plane airfield properties.... 

I posted about this, sounds Habu says this kinda works in DF MP now? Repair/Refuel 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53816-annoying-new-problem/?do=findComment&comment=818636

No rearm, if rearmed worked it would be huge game changer for setting up airfields in dogfighting to work more like a coops. Limit planes, but as long as you can land, repair, rearm, refuel, you can keep flying. 

I guess you could limit planes, then as long as you stay alive, you can repair, refuel and fly as a spotter. 2 planes worth of ammo, stay alive and you keep flying your 2 planes or it's available to another pilot. 

aarggg give us rearm... 

ok, i'm going nuts trying to figure out how it was BEFORE the update...literally.  Hate it when my mind draws a complete  blank.

but believe I am confusing two different things here.  The feature that has been asked for in the past (and the parameters for the feature have always shown up in ME), are landing a plane, and getting rearmed and refueled while still in the plane.  I am not so sure what we are seeing here is that feature.

Awe, you just posted, 

No, sitting in the plane while rearming refueling is not this feature. However you can do the following which works for me. Same feature, but you have to exit the plane first.......

I tested the multiple airfields, limiting planes, etc. You can land at an airfield to repair, refuel, and rearm the planes provided there is an open slot as described in the post on the IL2 forums. 

I haven't tested using just refuel, or just rearm, or setting repair, refuel, rearm to different times. Not sure what that will do. 

Example repair in 5 seconds, rearm in 2 min, refuel in 10 min. 

Is the plane available once repairs are done, but if you don't wait the extra 2 min no rearming or refueling happens

Or you can get the plane in 3 mins, repaired, rearmed, but no fuel. 

Etc. 

But we can limit the planes available and pilots can repair, refuel, rearm until all planes are destroyed. 

Might make the main airfield repair, refuel, rearm, then make the additional airfields repairs only for one plane at a timer per plane type/model, then you have to fly that plane back to base to rearm and refuel. 

Something to tinker with, should make for some interesting missions.

The cool thing is this can be used to setup a coop type mission in dogfight, you could limit each pilot to one plane, but they can fly to an airfield anytime to suit up again. The tricky part will be if multiple pilots are landing at the main airfield. Picking a repaired plane will be first come first serve and the honor system for not taking another pilots plane if you damage yours beyond repair. 

but we have some options which is super cool. 

Edited by WWDriftwood

Thought you would be happy to find out some part of this still works and there is a way to refuel, rearm, repair.

My impression was none of this worked. Frankly I'm not sure the different options work. More testing.

The basic renewing of planes works. so you can limit and renew after landing to keep the plane in service. 

Initial tests setting the second field to not rearm, the plane still rearmed. I'm betting you can land and renew the plane to keep it in service. But the individual options might not work as intended. The only other option I hope works is simply setting the timers so you might have to wait 5, 10, 15 minutes for the plane to become available. 

Not a big concept changer as much as an option for game parameters. 

• coop = 1 plane
  • dogfight - plane # limitation or infinite, no renewing planes, 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, or unlimited.
  • dogfight - plane # limitation based on condition of planes, unlimited renewing of planes that survive.

Coop set to one plane verses Dogfight set to 3 planes,

• Both situations, damages, out of fuel, out of ammo, crashed, your done.
  • IMHO adding 3 planes per pilot to a dogfight is not much different from the coop, just a little extension, it's still use a plane; and the plane is gone. 

I like the idea of being rewarded for you efforts

• If you don't get shot down and can successfully land without too much damage, your still in the game.

Conceptually

• It could be fun if each side Allied/Axis has a home base, heavily armed with AAA, then secondary emergency landing bases, low to zero defense. So running home is a run to safer ground. Still subject to fighter and bomber attacks but requires a bit more effort for the enemy.  

No big deal, just an idea, didn't know it was DOA

What I get to work is..

1. unlimited renews for planes in the pool, of course
  2. set limit of planes that can fly at any one time - planes renew after crashing for set limit, no landing required to keep planes
  3. set limit of planes - must land plane to keep it in the plane pool. Crash a plane, lose a plane
  4. set limit of planes - Take off and land from multiple airfields with a set number of planes - Set return plane, unchecked renew for different airfields, pilots can take off at any airfield, land at any different airfield that has the same plane. If a slot is open you don't lose a plane, if you land at an airfield and the slots are full, you lose the plane you landed, pick an available plane which opens a slot at that airfield. But you lose plane if not slot is open when landing. 

As far as the actual check boxes under return planes for refuel, rearm, etc. I don't see those having any affect other than you need to put a "1-100" for seconds to get rid of the warning. So I'm unclear on what the guy on IL2 forums is saying actually works with regards to refuel, rearm, repair. changing the settings for a different airfield has no affect. 

At least I can "limit planes" and offer additional airfields pilots can land at, re-plane, then take off from the same airfield they landed at and not have to fly all the way back to base. Just can't have multiple pilots with the same plane model trying to re-plane at the same time or withing the maintenance radius which sucks. Good enough for now. 

yeah wood, I finally broke down and tested this, and have no idea where Habu is coming from.  from what I can see he is telling us stuff based on how he THINKS it works, and not based on any actual testing (which btw really pisses me off...)

But from what I am seeing, in either case (using "renew" in plane properties or using "return" in airfield properties), you have to give a plane a name in order for either to work.

In your testing, where your planes named???

If it worked at all, about the only benefit I could see of the new options is being able to land at a base outside the maintenance radius of your homefield, and being able to get that plane back, but that does not work for me.  And, if it works as Habu stated, the thought of loosing planes because someone landed a plane at a base where the pool was already full make this approach totally useless, imho.

Bout the only application I can think of that might make this useful is if it is implemented into coop missions.  If you rtb, land successfully, you can get a fixed plane and re-fly.

yeah wood, I finally broke down and tested this, and have no idea where Habu is coming from.  from what I can see he is telling us stuff based on how he THINKS it works, and not based on any actual testing (which btw really pisses me off...)

Agreed – no point in setting any properties that have zero affect, very miss leading. I’m trying to clarify this stuff before set group template as a solid base template to drop in and add additional logic as needed. I’m trying to test everything for the core setups and not build templates based on how things are supposed to work, should work, we think it works, but rather how it currently works in its current state. Hard to do.

But from what I am seeing, in either case (using "renew" in plane properties or using "return" in airfield properties), you have to give a plane a name in order for either to work.

In your testing, where your planes named???

• I tested using Lapino with nothing on the map accept 2 airfields.
  • I did not have to name the planes, that is blank in the plane pool.
  • Maybe if you do this in current missions with/without/or combination of named/unnamed planes you need to name the plane? Don’t know?

TEST:

2 airfields

• AF#1  - 2 F4’s in the pool – checked to return plane, renew unchecked, properties for the repair, refuel, rearm set has Habu suggested. (though changing the properties, unchecking checking doesn’t make any difference that I can see.)
  • AF#2 – 1 F4, setup the same as AF#1

The plane at AF#1, is only there to make sure there is a slot for a pilot that needs to land. Losing the plane was not a concern just a work around for “this application.” Goal is to have an additional airfield pilots could make an emergency landing or renew a plane and take off form the same airfield they land at while limiting planes.

I can take off and land from either AF and land at either AF leaving the plane at the AF I landed provided there’s an open slot if not you lose the plane.

So as many airfields as you like with multiple pilots taking off from the different airfields. Taking off opens up slots for renewing planes at the airfield left.

It would be nice to have multiple empty slots at the start of the mission. This would all make more sense if you could add empty slots. Setup the main airfield, then add those empty slots to additional airfields. Perfect, but nooooooooooooo grrrrrr can’t do that.

If I’m setting planes to allow only 2-3 for each pilot per flight group, I can opt to put all at the main airfield and single slots for additional airfields /Or/ I could subtract those single planes from the main airfields plane pool. First man down in a flight group can opt to take off from the additional airfields freeing up the slot. How ever you want to set it up for the mission to allow multiple airfields while limiting planes.

OR - opt to put only 2 planes per pilot at the main AF, then have an additional set of 4 at another AF, maybe make the 2nd AF available based on an objective achieved or timer. Then flight groups can start at one airfield and fly to the next – losing a plane is part of the deal, you drop one off, and take the one that’s ready.

However you want to set it up. 

I want to limit planes, so the Dogfight mission acts more like a coop.

So far; those are the parameters I must work with without getting into a lot more logic based on mission objectives/conditions.

If you’re willing to allow unlimited planes, then setting up additional airfields is easy, pilots can freely land and takeoff from anywhere with unlimited planes for emergency landings or moving across a map using the airfields.

If it worked at all, about the only benefit I could see of the new options is being able to land at a base outside the maintenance radius of your homefield, and being able to get that plane back, but that does not work for me.  And, if it works as Habu stated, the thought of losing planes because someone landed a plane at a base where the pool was already full make this approach totally useless, imho.

Bout the only application I can think of that might make this useful is if it is implemented into coop missions.  If you rtb, land successfully, you can get a fixed plane and re-fly.

Agreed, if coop allowed the ability to land and renew planes, allow additional planes, I would look at creating coops. But it doesn’t, so Dogfight is the only option. I’m just trying to figure out what I can/can’t do and any work around or short comings there are that must be considered.

My Mission Application for this – is limiting planes per pilot while allowing additional airfields to create a coop feel on a dogfight map.

Benefit for me is being able to fly to the closet friendly AF for emergency landings, continuing your flight from that point on the map as opposed to flying all the way back to the main AF. Or use the AF’s to move across a map as part of the mission.

Mission types create pilot behaviors / this is supposed to be funny……

• Coops – The marriage between you and your one plane, till death do us part, keep the marriage alive. (should be the behavior for any mission, but….)
  • Dogfights – Relationships depend on the pilot, from a marriage to swingers and anything between. Some will treat each plane like a marriage, avoid death do us part at all cost. Some treat it as a slutty plane dating service. Don’t worry about losing the planes ammo or burning up the engine, there more planes in the sea. Use it, lose it, abuse it, get a new plane as fast as you can.
  • Dogfight/Coops parameters – Hopefully you find you need to work at your plane relationship keeping it alive, do the best you can to make it work. But sometimes things happen, so you separate, divorce, get into a new relationship. But you only get a few shots/slots till you’re an “end mission old spinster” sitting in the lobby, no plane, sipping your coffee, long ash on your smoke about to hit the ground as you rock in your chair, staring out the window watching the planes fly by……

So cynical, I know….. LOL

Well, a little more testing........... but the basic poo logic will work for my pile O' poo logic in how I intend to apply it...

:pistols:

ok, my bad..the f**king maintenance radius was messing me up.  every so often (but not every time) I was taxing just a tad too far, and stopping outside of the maintenance area, and  that meant I would loose the plane, even thou it appeared I had landed successfully on the runway.

Drove me nuts....sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't....

rearm r-cntl A

refuel r-cntl F

have to be inside the maintenance area (usually 1500m for my missions), and have engine stopped. 

yet to test...

I added this to this original post since it has all the comments. 

Here we go again! TEST, TEST, TEST, I'll do the same this weekend....... 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/54367-v3201s-repairrearmrefuel-explained/?tab=comments#comment-827328

pretty well explained.  But am still confused...

seems like it is not the airfield that rearms, but a service vehicle...

I did what they said to do...landed and taxied over to the vehicle, but did not get all the messages they said I would get...and before I could even hit rcntrl-A, I started getting messages, rearming complete/refueling complete etc, but they did not look like the one's in the screen shot..

so,,,got it to work, but not they way the post said...which is bugging me...

ok, I made the area for the service vehicle pretty big, and guess I got the first message (you have entered service area) when I was landing..and didn't see it...

Rearm worked this time...but did take forever....

now..does it work in coop????

pretty cool...you can make people have to taxi over to the pumps.....

LOL, I was following the thread on IL2 and was wondering when you were going to post, saw the return plane post.

I think once the ream/refuel/repair is  confirmed working for one airfield containing service and or refuel trucks etc. What ever is required. 

Then test the return plane with a duplicate airfield setup and limit the planes at one base and test returning planes to different bases along with using the repair/refuel/ream at a different airfield than that one you took off from. 

• I read you need to press and hold keys to refuel, release keys to stop refueling.
  • Rearm needs to be followed by reload
  • Repair is instant once you land and turn off the engine
  • Not clear about having to open canopy
  • Read there was a glitch reported that when opening the canopy, repair seemed to keep opening and closing the canopy as if to repair it and was stuck in a loop, had to exit the mission. 

This is going to be very freaking cool once worked out. 

Need a good button pressing and plane SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for this if it's used in the Campaign. Or if we have a choice and can also finish mission / re-plane or both. Hence the specifics on returning planes to keep them in inventory. 

Can't wait till this is routine in many missions. 

Coops - that would be awesome, game changer. 

7 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

LOL, I was following the thread on IL2 and was wondering when you were going to post, saw the return plane post.

I think once the ream/refuel/repair is  confirmed working for one airfield containing service and or refuel trucks etc. What ever is required. 

Then test the return plane with a duplicate airfield setup and limit the planes at one base and test returning planes to different bases along with using the repair/refuel/ream at a different airfield than that

• I read you need to press and hold keys to refuel, release keys to stop refueling.
  • Rearm needs to be followed by reload
  • Repair is instant once you land and turn off the engine
  • Not clear about having to open canopy
  • Read there was a glitch reported that when opening the canopy, repair seemed to keep opening and closing the canopy as if to repair it and was stuck in a loop, had to exit the mission. This is going to be very freaking cool once worked out. 

Need a good button pressing and plane SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for this if it's used in the Campaign. Or if we have a choice 

Press key once to start refueling once to stop

reload?

the glitch reported was pilot pressed “eject” which blows off the canopy.  Don’t press eject when on the ground and in maintenance area