Sign in to follow this  
WWCraven

P-51 Update

So we have the template and I've been hard at making a first attempt. Still a wip, no alpha layer added yet to emphasize the aluminum skin, still have tweaking to do. Also not certain I will go with this one, have a couple of other ideas to explore.

2019_10_8_P51.jpg

2019_10_8_P51_a.jpg

• Like 3

51's are now ready to be built, now that I've figured out (again) the alpha template process.  Here's a couple of shots of the first finished product, little different from the one shown in the original post.

2019_10_27_Feet Wet.jpg

2019_10_27_DD.jpg

2019_10_27_Red 17.jpg

I'm going to add a few screens in here as I move along with these.  These screens are not buffed out with the alphas (shiny) yet so I can make final adjustments.  Anyone sees a graphic they'd like for their own plane let me know or send me one even.  Enjoy..

2019_10_28_Rootin_Tootin.jpg

2019_10_28_Blue_74.jpg

Latest update on some 51 skins.  The skins I'm dropping in this post are 95% ready, all I need now is some input on the final layout from the prospective owners before I create and drop the nice alpha layers on them.

For Plague and Sandy please pm me with any wording you'd like to see on board.

Drift, did yours by guess and golly, if you have something else you'd prefer just let me know.

Duck, I hope you like yours.

The others posted here have already been discussed with their pilots so last chance for any changes.

For those of you that don't yet see your skin, I'm working on them and will have to you soonest.

Red19.jpg

Red2.jpg

Blue64.jpg

Blue12.jpg

Blue74.jpg

Red7.jpg

Red17.jpg

• Thanks 2

looks great to me too.....thanks!

What I did really like were the Black Flight skins....hate the thought of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Can I be difficult and request gray and green cammo (RAF style) on the upper surfaces of my Mustang? After discovering how terribly those shiny P-38's stand out against the ground, I'll sacrifice the 2-3mph to become invisible down low.

I'm due for an updated graphic thing, and am playing with the phrase "Take my hand <<image>> Off to Never-Never Land" to match the SandMan name/theme. Only the Never-Never Land I'll lead you to is filled with head-stones. :) Working on the imagery. 

keep in mind, flying RTS, if you take a subdued custom skin and JG1 does not have it (which they probably won't), you will show up as the default skin (ie..shiny)

I took the British skin....can't say it helped me much...

• Like 1

Yes they won't see it..I take my bright yellow kv1 skin with "shoot me" stencils on the side in multiplayer cause I know they only see default.

15 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

keep in mind, flying RTS, if you take a subdued custom skin and JG1 does not have it (which they probably won't), you will show up as the default skin (ie..shiny)

I took the British skin....can't say it helped me much...

It wouldn't.  I believe in RTS, the 'Alternate view' setting is enabled.  Last Tuesday, I spotted you and Wolfe from 20 miles away.  I was in VR so I couldn't ID y'all until I closed (which took 5 minutes), but you both appeared equally shiny. 

Personally I like using custom skins, the lighter grey skins. They seem to be easier to see at all altitudes and in ground clutter. Brighter colors on tail and nose. 

I like to be able to see my wingman easily even if it means the enemy can as well. Usually it's easier at closer ranges anyways and by the time were fully engaged skins flicker for everyone. Also easier if we all use skins that are close to the same color or a set with personal numbers etc. Variety gets a little confusing in the heat of the moment. 

but I like to know who I'm looking at with a glance.... 

4 hours ago, WWBrinson said:

It wouldn't.  I believe in RTS, the 'Alternate view' setting is enabled.  Last Tuesday, I spotted you and Wolfe from 20 miles away.  I was in VR so I couldn't ID y'all until I closed (which took 5 minutes), but you both appeared equally shiny. 

So over 30 km / 3 grids wide? dang VR

Maybe we can test the glimmer/skin flicker tonight. 

• Have everyone choose the default IL2 Skin only and if its the shiny glimmer or a custom skin flicker that all the ladies like... 
  • Then have everyone choose a different IL2 Skin, anything but a default skin and see what happens.

We know what happens with custom skins. 

If the flicker/glimmer etc. goes away with default skins, maybe try a campaign night with default skins to see if it helps in being spotted?