Gallipoli on Amazon Prime

WWGeezer

I am about two episodes in.  Pretty grizzly representation of trench warefare.   The Turks and the Australians were dug in, barely 100 feet apart.  Both Captains called a truce to bury the dead because it got so rank that neither side could tolerate it.  When the Ozzie calvary soldiers showed up ( without their horses) the other infantry men clicked their tongues like they were calling their horses just to give them shit.  Interesting history lesson on part of WW1 that I know just a little bit about.

Well worth watching.  Definitely shows the disconnect between what English leadership said was going on and what was actually going on.  Some funny stuff too.  The terrain is so harsh, makes the Pacific look like a holiday destination

Watched the first episode last night... Yeah, the disconnect between the generals dining in their luxury cabin aboard the naval vessel and the soldiers in the rocks was really profound. Shocking even.  Leant an air of realism to the story though. Men fighting and dieing while the generals pontificated on the history they were making. Only to have the real situation, the desperation, thrown in their faces.

My hero, one episode in, is the sergeant  who made repeated runs up and down the hills reporting on the conditions and carrying orders. He was so exhausted at the end he simply fell over on the beach.

Yes he is a great character....and I agree with the “shocking” part,  I think that is why this reminds me of “The Pacific”.  Crazy to have two sides dug in so close together that they could have a conversation across the lines.   Going to have to find a good history of Gollipoli to read.