The Build 2020

WWGeezer

I have been using a Noctua air cooler on my system for many years. Aside from the occasional dis-assembly to blow the dust-bunnies out of the grill work, it's been flawless. But it is massive, be sure to check the measurements for your specific motherboard and case closely, I found that I can't use "normal" heat sinks on my RAM modules because the cooler sits too low on top of the RAM slots. My case has a window on the side, and all it shows is the Noctua cooler, lol. 

IMG_20191021_175855.323.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WWGeezer said:

Back

on the build research....do we need more than 16 gig ram for what we fly 

Can never go wrong with more RAM, but 16GB will do you just fine. Just be sure you get the fastest RAM your MB will handle, coupled with the lowest CAS possible... 3200mhz with 15 or lower CAS is what I'd shoot for... That's just to the high side of mainstream.

Oh, and if you are getting SSD, get at least 1TB in size... That way you don't have to worry about disk space.

I've run pure SSD for the last 7 or 8 years, and never had less than that in my primary drive. Had one go bad in that time, but I've had three spinning drives crap on me in a similar span of time prior to going solid state. So if you have reservations regarding SSD longevity, don't worry about it.

Agreed on the largest size SSD you can grab.  In a perfect world, I'd have a smaller one for the OS, a large size for all gaming, and a large size for mass storage (photos, videos, etc.).  Also, if it doesn't absolutely break the bank, go for 32 GB of RAM.  Don't skimp on speed, like Dub alluded to, but extra head space with memory is always a plus.

Been digging in a little deeper.....the stuff in yellow I am set on, working my way up to graphics card, liquid cooler and memory.  Found some great video's on cases and realized I was missing the mark.  The previous case had almost no usb ports on the front face and I use those a lot.

That being said several questions come up.  I tend to go for stability versus overclocking, tend to leave everything running at spec ( maybe that is why my system lasted ten years).....but a few questions come up

1. Processor, kept to the straight i7 not unlocked no separate overclocking processor.  Doesn't cost much more to get "unlocked" but simple is better for me.

2. Power....750 w enough if I go for a better graphics card (2080 versus 2070)?

3. CD Drive.....The nice cases seem to no longer have slots for cd drives....if I have legacy software or pictures do I have to buy an external drive just to grab info or load old software keys?  

4.  Windows OS.....yikes, the products sold online are confusing I know I want Windows 10  Professional 64 bit OEM.....but products all over the place, downloadable versus CD versus stick.  I assume for a brand new build I am not downloading, would want it on a disc, but not sure. Guess I will need an external CD drive to be able to upload?

Build.jpg

bet you thought twice before posting that....

i7-9700k is same price (339.00 at newegg)

but from what I see specs on 9700k are much better, and this is without any fiddling in the bios (other than enabling turbo).   Granted, this is just one site...you may see different on another site...

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_9700-911-vs-intel_core_i7_9700k-888

I have my own weird logic about getting comfortable with spending money so have some product loyalty with intel processors ( and Corsair power sources and memory and WD drives )

The biggest breakthrough was convincing myself that I wanted to do the build itself.  

Going to start buying stuff starting tonight. 

• Like 1

since I am shooting the moon, here, going with the M.2 PCIE superfast 1 TB drive for the boot and game application drives, but two 1 SSD drives for storage of images and videos.  What I always have wanted to have were two identical drives where I could automatically back up one drive to the other for pictures and graphics.  Going all SSD.

So one 1 TB drive superfast for boot up and game applications ( M.2 PCIE)

Two 1 TB SSD drives with auto back up going on between them so if one fails, the docs are not lost.

I bought the case tonight because New Egg had it for $169, with a gift card.  Down to the cooler and watching what goes on sale on Friday and after.

Image3.jpg