Sign in to follow this  
WWGeezer

The Build 2020

Starting this thread because I am targeting the coming Black Friday to start pulling together components for a "new build".  I have only built one machine and it was specifically to fly Rise of Flight.  I built my current machine in May of 2009!   Still running on Windows XP and many graphics card and memory upgrades later, it still runs amazingly well all things considered.  This latest patch in BOS, having to crank down some of the graphic settings, made me think that it is time.

Will be posting the proposed build to get some input.  The goal is to balance the processor, memory, storage and graphics card to get a neat and tidy fast build.  I am sure I will spend over $1,000 but under $2,000.....$1,500 would be a nice sweet spot.

• Like 1

I won't share my whole spec sheet yet, but have gotten to graphics cards.  My preference has been an Nvidia card.....I dont think I have ever spent more than $350 on a graphics card.  (My current card is now 5 years old.....a GTX 770).  Seems like GTX 1660 or 1070 are in the right ball park.  I tend to prefer my components not overclocked.

Pic1.jpg

Look at a hybrid drive, they are solid state for operations and hdd in terabyte range for storage. Nice compromise on cost and speed

i personally have the Seagate Firecuda 2tb.  Awesome performance..

If you want to do any VR gaming down the road, I think you'd be better off with a 1080.

In my opinion, depending upon what you're planning on doing, it may be easier/cost effective to go with a prebuilt.  That is unless you are going to cannibalize your old rig for parts to save money (like re-use your PSU, case, fans, drives, etc.). 

You can get a pretty beast rig for just shy of 2K.  for example: https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-01JD-00K07

Also before you pull the trigger, check various forums to see if Nvidia is getting ready to drop a new card as you know that decreases prices on the other stuff.  The video card is going to be the most costly part of your build.

I like the Samsung 800 series SSD for hard drives. 

I'd say go for the 1080, budget bump, I'm running a 1070 and hoping to build a rig in a year or so with maybe some good deals on video cards. I typically look at the latest and greatest over priced cards and other components, then buy one step down and save the coin, not sure what that step down is today. I'd like to try VR, but not with the 1070... My 2 cents. 

Pretty awesome how many miles you road your current rig. 

Yup,  a pre-build is tempting, just less headache, and it is easy to get up to $2k without trying to hard.  Duck, your link expired I think.  Brinson, I thought about cannibalizing, but with six sticks of 1gig ram and a ten year old motherboard, not much left to use over.  In the past I always bought a sound card and it was necessary.  Maybe the on board audio is better now, but it used to suck.  Seems like a lot of people are buying external Dac's instead of an internal card.

Pic1.jpg

Even with my system being a couple years old I got a sound card, tried it without and the sound still sucked.

I'm intrigued by the hybrid drive... But I am absolutely sold on SSD for nearly everything. My rig (i7 2400k) still rocks due mainly to having SSD for the operating system and main sim programs.

Several high capacity HDDs provide the cavernous depth of storage I require for my photography habit. 

I'm using an Nvidia 1070 card myself. No vr, but it's damn good for running my two cheap monitors. 

16gb ram, but the ram is slow in today's standard. 

Motherboard is about ten years old. It works, but is simply ancient in computer terms. Kudos to Asus for building hardware that lasts. 

1 hour ago, WWGeezer said:

Yikes Drift, that is a beefy looking rig!

🙂 you deserve it...

I do think buying the 1070 is a little like throwing good money after bad, I'd bump that up. Ask your wife nicely, flowers, honey may I 😉 

When I go budget I typically cut corners on things I can upgrade 6 months, a year, two years later, add memory, extra drive space, make sure the MB can handle it, make sure I have enough power so I expand and not have to swap out the power supply, etc. SSD a must. 

32 gigs of memory is more the norm... I remember going form 8 to 16, then crap, need to go 32 and when I picked up the Asus notebook it had 64 gigs which is great for my work, but that's probably overkill unless your doing a ton of multitask graphics stuff. Sim probably doesn't know the difference. 

okay, that's my 3 cents on how to go bankrupt buying a new rig. 

It is interesting going back to a build ten years later.  I have heard people talking about SSD drives, but was a little shocked when I saw two slots on the motherboard for the P1 , Fricking 1TB in something that looks like a book mark l  Suppose that is what is sitting inside my iPad Pro 

Driftwood, just remember that there is no definitive right answer to these questions.  Plague buys used machines on eBay and had good success.   Best value is relative

For me VR is 3 or 4 years out, will change my graphics card and buy the next gen version.  

I think my rig lasted because the i7 processor was brand new at the time 

(On second thought by then I should be about retired, might be better for me to buy a heath club membership!)

F2C9558C-27E1-479E-BD68-84D67A630D38.jpeg

Oops, left ofF a cd drive.  I still have some software that is on disc ( like Lightroom) , suppose the format is close to extinct but still need one ( old family pictures and such ) 

2 hours ago, WWGeezer said:

Driftwood, just remember that there is no definitive right answer to these questions.  Plague buys used machines on eBay and had good success.   Best value is relative

Of course nothings definitive (didn't mean to sound that way) other than results between different components, the link I sent was for reference and some price comparisons. I like looking at the specs they have for the high end and budget machines built for the hard core simmer. 

If I can find a refurbished rig from a reputable place, that's always been my biggest savings. Especially for lower end stuff. Used graphic cards from friends who like buying the latest and greatest every year helps. Years back worked for a place where part of my job setting up the computers and networking for 10-12 employees. So fixing and buying pc's etc. I found a gold mine at the time, before windows vista (the nightmare). Refurbished HP pcs from Costco of all places. I was buying brand new refurbished pc's for 700-$800 that were selling for 1700-$1800 on the shelf brand new! People bring back pc's for the smallest thing. As fast as they would pop up on the website, I'd run down and buy it. 8 months later happy employees all with there new rigs saving $10,000, literally. Windows Vista came out and I wouldn't touch a refurbished pc with that OS, the OS is why everyone was bring back the pc's. 

Took me 4 months to shop for the right monitors for my budget, saved $500 for waiting, so I get it.

Good luck with the build/buy, lots of great deals if your not in a rush... 

Ahhh….great minds think alike....

you went one up on the cpu, I went one up on the graphics card….

I doubt I would EVER put a 30.00 cooler on a 350.00 cpu…...

Black Friday...….does anyone still put components on sale on black Friday now? (or cyber Monday)

Edited by WWSittingduck

I've never gone the water cooled route...last 2 builds have used Noctura coolers (Huge motherf-ing things), so you would need to someone who has done water to chip in.

Granted, you are not going to over clock, but unless you plan to turn off turbo, under load that cpu is going to get hot.  Am sure for a desktop computer that cooler is fine, but for a gaming computer I would spend a little more money.

4 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

I've never gone the water cooled route...last 2 builds have used Noctura coolers (Huge motherf-ing things), so you would need to someone who has done water to chip in.

Granted, you are not going to over clock, but unless you plan to turn off turbo, under load that cpu is going to get hot.  Am sure for a desktop computer that cooler is fine, but for a gaming computer I would spend a little more money.

A couple of different routes with water cooling.  Some time ago, I researched custom built loops.  They could be as elaborate as you want, cpu/video card or just cpu, but with the customs you have to plan them out pretty thoroughly.  If you want to do the video card too, you'll have to buy a specific block that would replace part of the video card (around $200).  Then you need to buy inlet/outlet fittings, tubes (if hard tubes you'll need angle/corner fittings too), fans, radiator, a pump, and a reservoir.  You don't want to fill it with regular tap water either.  Installation can be a pain and one must make sure the fittings are tight or yer' rig is toast.  Also gotta make sure that the water is flowing in the correct direction thru the cpu block.  Also since, liquids evaporate over time, one needs to monitor the reservoir levels.   I'm guesstamating the cost of one would be about $400+ when all is said and done.  At the time, some time ago, I decided that the cost was too high with respect to  performance gains especially in an industry where technology improves so fast.  Also Geezer mentioned that he wasn't looking to overclock, so this would probably be overkill.  

The other option and what I did is a 'closed loop' water cooler.  Like the H100i by corsair.  It is an all in one cooling system for the cpu.  You spread the paste, stick it on, and then bolt the rad/fan part to the case.  Since it is a closed loop, stuff doesn't evaporate out.  Some can be plugged into the motherboard and can be monitored and controlled via software (fan/pump speed).  Mine is old and I've set it so the pump just runs on high sans software.  The down side to doing it my way without the monitoring software is that when the pump goes out (and they do), you don't find out about it until your CPU fries.   I got mine for $119.  I just did a quick looksie via googles and they're sub $200.

that case has plenty of options...

Radiator Options

Front: 2 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm with Push/Pull
Top: 2 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm
Rear: 1 x 120mm

I ain't built a computer in 6 years or so...so guess am really not the person to be listening too...but if I did,,,i would go water...