p51d

am really going to hope someone extracts what we need from this and can summarize it..

http://chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://srv0files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-P-51D_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

flipping thru it quickly, appears most of what I might need starts on page 118, and there is a good cockpit guide at page 54

Has good info but I would stick with the IL2 descriptions and experiment with DCS numbers. 

Manifold pressure gauge in IL2 is green up to 46" has a red tic mark at 61" for combat mode, no mention of max cruise. DCS green goes to 36" so the green bar is based on maximum cruise which is 2400 rpm, 35-36" MP which.

But no reason you can see how the plane flys at 2400 rpm, 36" MP... 

I'm sticking to the 46" 2700 rpm most of the, only go combat/emergency when actually engaging or going defensive. Probably only have 10-12 min if your dipping into emergency, 10 or less? Need to experiment with blowing the engine to get actual virtual pilot engine time. 

To me, P51 feels a bit like the A3 at higher speeds with the tendency to roll left and spin out if you yank to hard, Feels like an F4 in the way you loose elevator deflection at higher speeds, but much more maneuverable at lower speeds than the A3 or F4, not as maneuverable as the Mk.VB.

(That's my first impression and I reserve the right to change my opinion in another 30 hours of P51 flight. 😉 )

But loading up a couple 500 lb bombs, rockets, extra bullets and go train hunting.... muhahahahahaaaaaaaa boooooooooom, boom, woosh rockets, secondary explosions, makes a pilot grin..  so pretty much have to love particular part of the P51. 

8 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

DCS green goes to 36" so the green bar is based on maximum cruise which is 2400 rpm, 35-36" MP which.

So in IL2, choose regular octane fuel and you get a different gauge for manifold pressure.... green to 36" and the 61" is in a different spot on the gauge... 

Well this bird is proving to be a pain in the butt..... almost have my speed references set to keep me out of trouble. 

Try doing loops over the runway in continuous power, 2700 rpm, 46", enter the loop at around 250 mph, as you come over the top and head back to the ground, watch your speed and make sure you let the speed build up to 200, 225, pulling into 250 as you finish the loop at the bottom, then repeat... 

or try a split S, then as your nose is pointed at the ground/vertical dive, let your speed build up and start pulling back on the stick as you hit, 200, 225, 250 as you pull out of the split S.... 

Should give you a good feel for where it's easier to control the plane, for me....... 240-340 mph..... spit is 220-320 mph... 

But as you go below 200 mph and get a bad angle, too much throttle or abrupt throttle will spin you out.... 

I still need to figure our the max speed/dive/ and when to back off so I don't lose elevator authority or briefly lose it. Should be able to put the stick in my lap followed by easing the stick forward as the speed bleeds off and my elevator authority quickly comes back. "once I know the magic numbers" 

fickle bird. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot to add 2 important speeds. / no bombs or rockets, CAP load-out, guns only. 

Tested at 4k - 5k ft... 

• Continuous - 2700 rpm, 46" = 300 mph
  • Combat - 3000 rpm, 61" = 320 mph

This is why I prefer pilots always give speed/altitude not power settings, speed tells me what's going on with your plane and your probable power settings

Power settings mean nothing to me if the pilot is way above or below level flight speeds for any given power setting.

(power settings only help settle into tight formations, even then, speed is king.)

Notice there is a 40 mph difference between the Spit and P51, so will struggle to stay together... 

sloppy scratch notes...... 

image.png.e75f20e586d2075bb1acac4c530525a5.png

• Thanks 1

I always try to give speed and alt instead of power settings. "50% throttle at 3k meters" means nothing if you're in auto-level with RPM super low, and actual speed very high. An issue arises when mixed type aircraft are flown, Especially if russian and western (Yaks and P-38s, for example) are in the mix. "Speed 350" means completely different things if you're not in the same aircraft. Converting KMH to MPH while in-air sucks,.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, speed/alt... P51, continuous, 2700, 46", typically I'm anywhere between 180 mph to 450 mph....... 

Here are my personal notes for the P51, its a PDF but you should be able to select all the text and paste it into a word doc if you like, no protections. 

Contains all the "in game specs" for reference as well as my modified startup notes. 

P51-DW-NOTES-Plane-Management-pgs1-10.pdf

I recommend reading the old P51D-K training manual, lots of great info you can try applying to the IL2 P51. 

copy/paste link into address bar, it will add the https://

wiki.hoggitworld.com/images/8/83/North-American-P-51-Mustang-Pilot-Training-Manual.pdf

I'm starting to love the 51........ starting, slowly... 

I appreciate your interest in seeing the Pony come to life as it should. I've never been really sold on it, but even I can learn new things on occasion. So, while I'm loopy from pain meds after having a tooth removed, I'll see what kind of trouble I can get into flying the Mustang a bit.

• Thanks 1