Sign in to follow this  
WWPlague

OPPS WRONG TIME Ill be online and on TS 11-11 Monday 6pm PST

Joined Plague, Zed and Frylock for a little flying. Plague and I were eager to get a little more seat time in Mustangs and Lightnings, which we did. The Mustang can be fast, but I was hard pressed to get it over 275 in level flight, even up at 23,000 feet. I was trying to attain that speed without leaving a trail of dark smoke behind me, but eventually gave that idea up. Anything over 80% throttle (varies a bit according to mixture, RPM and manifold pressure) is likely to leave a dark exhaust trail that's easy to follow. The Mustang quickly gained speed in a dive, and required constant rudder trim adjustment (or coarse rudder input at all times) to keep the 'ball' centered and the ship flying straight. My left leg was aching in the continued attempt to apply just enough rudder to keep that dang ball centered. 

I did a high speed pass (just under 500mph indicated) over the airfield, but didn't realize on my way downhill from 20k feet altitude that I had over-sped the ship. On landing, I found I had no landing gear leg covers left...

1121446982_Il-22019-11-1121-19-57.thumb.png.add642f3524356f6958bdfe11f2c91ee.png

The P-38 I had flown a few times, so was more familiar with it. Loaded up; some big iron, took off and buzzed around a bit (while helping Plague with some of the intricacies of flying the -38), then found a deserted road nearby to practice bombing. I need more practice, as I only put one bomb in the center of the road intersection I trying to hit. The other three were close, but not there. 

As it was getting dark on the server, I wanted to land and call it a night. But I landed too fast, and too hard, tearing off the nose wheel gear and leaving my ship; broken in a way I hadn't seen before. Eventually Plague found his way back to base and parked near my badly bent bird.

(dang forum - image uploads failing ... wtf??) Will get a screenshot p;osted soon.